AVA at California Audio Show July 15th thru 17th.

rlee8394

Re: AVA at California Audio Show July 15th thru 17th.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2011, 04:57 pm »
Frank,

Any possibility of adapting the front-end and output regulation technology to the Insight + series of amplifiers? I believe the Fet-Valve power supply is single-ended while the Insight + series uses a bipolar supply. That may make it a "no go" scenario since you would both positive and negative regulated supplies.

Ron

avahifi

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2011, 06:18 pm »
Hi Ron,

First of all, the front end of our solid state amplifiers already all have regulated power supplies and have had for years.

The issue with output regulators is that there simply is not enough real estate for the necessary high voltage high current regulator circuits when you have to do four separate ones; two plus and two minus, one each per channel.

The only rational way to do that would be to simply offer mono-blocks (mono amps, one per channel needed).  Doing it that way, one pair of heat sinks would be the output regulated power supply, the other pair of heat sinks for a single audio channel.

Would be expect better results?  Sure.  But the cost would essentially double and I suspect this would price the products out of range for their intended market.

We know how to do it, but we don't think it is a viable product idea.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

srb

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2011, 06:53 pm »
Would be expect better results?  Sure.  But the cost would essentially double and I suspect this would price the products out of range for their intended market.

We know how to do it, but we don't think it is a viable product idea.

Maybe not, but some of your customers have expensive front ends and expensive speakers, and have chosen your amplifiers as a good value.  Although they obviously wouldn't be nearly as popular as your stereo amplifiers, AVA monoblocks could still be a viable product offering, selling for half the price or less of Bryston, Classe, McIntosh or other monoblocks.  And "statement" models are often a valuable addition to a manufacturer's lineup and positioning in the marketplace, even if their sales numbers are less than the mainstream models.

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:25 pm »
If a customer can purchase an AVA amp as a good value, even tho he has expensive front end and speakers, then those would not have "good value", so why would 1 part of my system have good value and the rest "cost no object". Makes no sense.

Wayner

srb

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:38 pm »
If a customer can purchase an AVA amp as a good value, even tho he has expensive front end and speakers, then those would not have "good value", so why would 1 part of my system have good value and the rest "cost no object". Makes no sense.

So if one has Salk Sound Soundscape 12s or other > $10K speakers, don't purchase an AVA amplifier for the system, as it wouldn't be in the same "bang for the buck" or value category?

And the Soundscapes are a good example of a statement product.  Salk Sound will sell many more pairs of SongTowers and HT2-TLs than he will Soundscapes.  It is a statement product for the highest possible performance for those able and willing to afford it.

Many people who have speakers like that opt for monoblock amplifiers.  Whether Frank would decide to offer them or not is his call, but there is a certain viability and it makes perfect sense, if not to you.  And if he did, they would still be a value compared to many other monoblock offerings.

Steve

Cheeseboy

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm »
Srb,

I see your point.  I have often looked at the AVA web site and wondered where the Meaning Of Life (MOL) amp was hidden.  I initially thought if it didn't exist then perhaps AVA was not an MOL company in the amp business.  After some study I found that the company was firmly entrenched in the Bag for Buck (BFB) category.  Every amp is special because of the performance vs price rendered.

I do agree that AVA could offer a Mono MOL amp and see some sales results.  However after spending some time getting to know the company and listening to it's products it might be a very radical shift for them to offer up an etched audio candy faceplate on a mono MOL amp.   It might cause Frank an entrepenuerial seizure.  It seems to be against the style and philosophy of the company. 

I'm excited about the new R series and the advances there. These appear to be significant sounding results. 

Would a mono version upgrade the image of the company?  I don't know.  It might be diametrically opposed to the AVA way of seeing the market.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:27 pm »
It seems to be against the style and philosophy of the company. 

So were IEC connectors...

srb

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:40 pm »
I do agree that AVA could offer a Mono MOL amp and see some sales results. However after spending some time getting to know the company and listening to it's products it might be a very radical shift for them to offer up an etched audio candy faceplate on a mono MOL amp.

No one said anything about an etched audio candy faceplate.  Only a mono version with the same plain faceplate.

There is an alliance of sorts between AVA and Salk Sound.  Some of those Soundscape owners will be chasing down a pair of Bryston 7BSST2, McIntosh MC501, TRL Samson, Odyssey Stratos/Kismet or whatever monoblocks.  Just because they want monoblocks.  And like Salk nearly doubling the price of the next most expensive speakers for that last 8.2% of performance, so it goes with amplifiers.

I'm not saying AVA should or needs to offer monoblocks, just that if they did, there would be some takers.  That's all.

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:45 pm »
Steve is correct once again.  Also, one must look at the other equipment that Salk auditioned with this past weekend at the Capital Audio Fest.  He used a $3500 USB DAC!

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:19 am »

No one said anything about an etched audio candy faceplate.  Only a mono version with the same plain faceplate.

There is an alliance of sorts between AVA and Salk Sound.  Some of those Soundscape owners will be chasing down a pair of Bryston 7BSST2, McIntosh MC501, TRL Samson, Odyssey Stratos/Kismet or whatever monoblocks.  Just because they want monoblocks.  And like Salk nearly doubling the price of the next most expensive speakers for that last 8.2% of performance, so it goes with amplifiers.

I'm not saying AVA should or needs to offer monoblocks, just that if they did, there would be some takers.  That's all.

Steve

AVA offers a bridge -- why not buy two of their big amps and bridge them?

pardales

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:27 am »

Steve

I think its a good point.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:27 am »

Not the same on many levels.  I have monos and wouldn't want that.

srb

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:32 am »

Not the same on many levels.  I have monos and wouldn't want that.

Extra box, extra cables and probably not the best scheme for speakers that dip below 4 ohms.

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:34 am »

Extra box, extra cables and probably not the best scheme for speakers that dip below 4 ohms.

Steve

Bingo!

trebejo

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jul 2011, 03:05 am »

Steve

Analysis based on no concrete knowledge or direct experience, I suppose? The setup with a phase inverter and a couple of Frank's amps works wonderfully.

avahifi

« Reply #35 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:27 pm »
Salk used a USB DAC at the Capital Show along with the AVA Insight+ preamp/Vision DAC combo unit and the lower powered Fet Valve II 350 power amp because our DACs do not have direct USB input capability.

At the California show coming up this weekend, we will simply connect Salk's Soundstreamer into the USB input on a KingRex UC192 converter and coax from there on into a Vision Hybrid DAC.  No separate $3500 DAC required.  :)

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

« Reply #36 on: 13 Jul 2011, 04:15 pm »
congrats to Frank for coming up with an upgrade in this magnetute. Does the upgrade include the "double die" if the amp doesn't already have them?

avahifi

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:23 pm »
Yes, the 400R and 600R upgrades do include double die mos-fets if not already installed.  In all cases some devices are relocated, the output and regulated power supply circuits don't work exactly the same as they had been.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:26 pm »
One interesting thought, Jim and Dennis got really great attention and feedback at the Capital Audio Show last weekend and they were using the previous generation Fet Valve amplifier (the small one) and an Insight solid state preamp.

Even Stereophile seemed to be very impressed with the sound in their room.  We will have a lot better for you all to listen to at the Crowne Plaza in Birlingame, CA.

Frank

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:29 pm »
Frank I sat in the Salk room for hours on saturday and many people were surprised at the AVA stuff. One Conrad Johnson fan commented he couldnt believe what he was hearing! Like I said in other posts about the Capital Area show...in most rooms the powers cables were at least 6 inches in diameter, as well as the interconnects!!

When people saw the 12 gauge Parts Connection / Home Depot speaker wire they were well....how can this be look!!! LOL

The Wavelength dac  all $3500 was well. nice but its $3500!!!! OMG.

Just not in my budget in this century at least..

The show was nice, I spent most of my times listening to Dennis's SS10's and his Philharmonic speakers...really nice as well.

All the best
Alex