OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

soundofrockets

Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs
« Reply #560 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:19 am »
They look beautiful.  I am sure they look better in person! 

RonP

« Reply #561 on: 18 Mar 2020, 05:24 pm »
Simply top-notch. Do want  :D

emailtim

« Reply #562 on: 19 Mar 2020, 03:58 am »
Beautiful cabinets and finish.  Very Jealous !!!

Captainhemo

jay

juszat

Do you anchor the plate amp to the amp box with the provided screws or just place the amplifier on the box ?

Captainhemo

Do you anchor the plate amp to the amp box with the provided screws or just place the amplifier on the box ?

Yes,  lay the amp in place,  drill  small pilot  holes (3/64 or so) and install  a  screw   after drilling each hole.  Don't tighten  them all down until after  they are all   drilled and in place  I always do them in a   criss cross pettern  to keep  everything  aligned.   There is a decent gasket/felt on the bottom side of the amp   so   you  can  go around  a nd snug  them all down   after intial installation.  I  always use  a bit shorter  screw than  what  comes   with the amps as well, no need to  go   really deep with these

JAY

juszat

Thank you Jay . I will do that . I would like to discuss another more troubling issue . So i put together the Speakon connectors both the female coming from the amp and the male and connected them together . I am running an XLR connection from my preamp to the amp . I set the subwoofer as it was recommended by Rhythmic and turned on the system but there was no sound coming out from any of the two subs . I switched the preamp output ( I have two per side to make sure that is not the problem . My speakers work but not the subs . No sound whatsoever . Any suggestion what might causing it ?

Captainhemo

first and most obvious,   are the amps  on   or if  set to auto , are they turning on ?

Settings I like to start with:
PEQ  OFF
Phase 180
C/o 80  ( adjust to suit  what  you need)
Volume  11 o'clock
C/O Slope   AVR / 12
Rumble Filter  OFF
Damping   LOW
Extension   20

We once  had a set of triples  that    didn't play at all right  out of the gate,  after    say 5 inutes, they slowly  began to  play... I don't  know if the  suspensions were super tight or what but they never  had an issue again... it  was  wierd but   it did occur.   If you double check all your wiring and the amps are indeed turning on,  let thejm   "play  for a few minutes, see if they wake up

jay

Captainhemo

This one's  heading  over seas 

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
When I got my first sealed servo sub built and fired up for the first time I too got nothing.  I ran pink noise through it and just let it play.  I could feel it move slightly so I figured it was just stiff.  Within an hour I started hearing the walls of my apartment shake.  It got there.

Captainhemo

When I got my first sealed servo sub built and fired up for the first time I too got nothing.  I ran pink noise through it and just let it play.  I could feel it move slightly so I figured it was just stiff.  Within an hour I started hearing the walls of my apartment shake.  It got there.

Yeah,  I think some of  them are  just  really stiff right out of the box

jay

juszat

thank you for the suggestions . i connected everything again .I also took pictures of my wiring including the speaker connectors . I am playing a HSU research Bass management cd which has live recordings of a lot of really low frequency sound and a few pink noise sweeps . As soon as the album start playing the Subwoofer which is set to auto turns green on both amps . so i will give it a time . In the meantime I am attaching the pictures if anybody will see something obviously wrong . The cables with the green tapes on is my wires coming from the servo coils .

Captainhemo

I'm betting they start to play  after  some time....  if the lights  turn green on the amps,  the  input signal is being detected and triggering the auto on circuit.

You'll likely  start to notice  some movement of the woofers  soon and   the music  will  follow
jay

juszat

juszat

The above images are my right subwoofers and their speakon . As i noted in my previous post the green label indicates the  servo coil . I followed the driver coil 1+( red) thicker wire from the amp to the 1+ ( red to the subwoofer . 1- ( white thick) to 1-( white) to the driver coil and the same logic in the servo coils as well .

juszat

What I can add to this after playing the Bass optimization disc twice ( 45 min disc) that my subwoofers are not responding . I can't feel any vibrations by touching any of the four woofers . So I think I either made a wiring error but I checked it three time ( pictures included ) or perhaps both of my plate amps are faulty which is to be honest would surprise me . both looks identical and their connections are all solid . no loose wires . there is a tiny transformer hum when I plug them in but it quickly falls into silence .

Captainhemo

Servo leads in series right  ?
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149708.msg1600884#msg1600884

I know this is an obvious one but...  you did strip back   say  1"  or so of wire jacket before inserting and tightening in the  connectors  ?   Have  you  used a meter to  check continuity   from   amp side of    circuit to  terminals on  drivers ?

Once you  get them working,  I'd suggest  twisting up  each   set of leads   
jay

juszat

Jay .

Life is about learning through experience . I called Danny who ever patiently walked me through all the possible troubleshooting steps . Finally I ended up restarting everything from scratch connecting and turning the system back up again ( mind you i have never used a speakon connector ) so incidentally I twisted the connector 20 degree and felt a snap . I did it on the other side and voila the whole system came alive . So today's lesson  is that  there are lot we may able to fix by turning thing just 20 degree in the right direction . As of today I have become one of the new member of the Open Baffle Subwoofer community .  Many thanks to you and and Danny who made it happen . I can see without even setting it up properly that this is going to be a new beginning to experience music .

Captainhemo

Awsome,   glad   they came to life  Amazing what the  little "click"  does huh    :thumb:
Just  wait  youi dial them  in 
Enjoy  your  new subs  man 

jay

bonsiguy

hi im new to this forum and intrested in ordering a set of these sub cabinets to build like i don't have enough to fix or re do around the house . lol can i get a idea on what the shipping and cost will be for a set of twin sub cabinets ? and shipped to 10573 thats new york . thanks  I'm so interested in building them to go with my set of maggies i have re built .  i had maggies 30 years ago and always felt they would do much better with a sub and releleaved of some of the bass they make .  thanks  mark