Qobuz vs Tidal.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Qobuz vs Tidal.
« on: 14 Sep 2020, 08:36 pm »
   So which sounds better to you and what about it that sounds better. Lots of different opinions on this matter. I use iPeng not Roon. IMHO Roon mucks up the sound.

charles

displayname

Re: Qobuz vs Tidal.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2020, 09:07 pm »
When it comes to sound quality, I don't think I've heard anyone say they prefer Tidal of Qobuz. I think I hear Qobuz regularly referenced as the best sound streaming platform. But people seem stick with Tidal for the catalog and the convince.

I haven't done any A/B testing with them, and honestly I haven't personally given Qobuz a good look. When it first launched the catalog had too many gaps for me, so I passed and went with Tidal. That may be different now, but I just haven't felt the need to look elsewhere since I've had Tidal.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2020, 11:38 pm »
A friend came over recently for a listening session and fired up his Qobuz through my roon account for a side by side listen, the Qobus was hands down the better sounding service in my system in several direct comparisons, I was stunned actually. The sound was simply fully, richer and yet more fleshed out by comparison, the issue that I have is that I live in Canada and it's a bit of a challenge to get Qobuz here, but i'm trying!!

Don

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2020, 12:14 am »
quboz hi-res sounds more 'solid', has better midrange and bass foundation fullness as expressed above

tidal masters sounds lil more processed, little more phase-y, treble seems more emphasized

both are very good, and miles better than spotify's best, but the difference is noticeable on a-b back to back, back n forth

tidal mqa is highly variable by recording... some recordings sound more analog (more relaxed presentation without loss of detail) others not much difference at all -- when there is mqa and nonmqa versions both available to allow a-b comparison

this is what i hear on my system, my ears, ymmv

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2020, 03:42 pm »
  Thanks Guys my thoughts as well. I prefer Qobuz.

charles

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2020, 04:24 pm »
Qobuz sounds best to me, using Euphony Stylus instead of Roon with Euphony kicking Roon to the curb.

dpatters

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2020, 05:00 pm »
I had Tidal with Roon core. Dumped server and back to CDs and vinyl. Never tried Qobuz.

Don P

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2020, 07:45 pm »
I had Tidal with Roon core. Dumped server and back to CDs and vinyl. Never tried Qobuz.

Don P

Don baby I am with you on CDs. That is my main source. Streaming is well streaming. Not equal to a dedicated transport and DAC combo.

charles

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2020, 09:38 pm »
When it comes to sound quality, I don't think I've heard anyone say they prefer Tidal of Qobuz.

I prefer Tidal sound quality to Qobuz. I don't think Qobuz is better in presentation, just different. To me it sounded slightly rolled off or muted and not as dynamic.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2020, 02:34 am »
As long as it's a free for all...

I haven't tried Qobuz. I've used TIDAL for 3(?) years and like it a lot. I own maybe 370 CDs, so there's little reason for me to invest in an expensive CDT. I have an incredible tube NOS DAC, a great NOS DAC, and an inexpensive Sabaj DAC to choose from.  8)

munosmario

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2020, 03:26 am »

Don baby I am with you on CDs. That is my main source. Streaming is well streaming. Not equal to a dedicated transport and DAC combo.

charles

Charles, CEC transport?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2020, 04:36 am »
I tried both Tidal and Qobuz and greatly prefer Qobuz. Note I mostly listen to classical and Qobuz has a MUCH larger library of classical than Tidal, so that's nice too :)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:26 pm »
Roon + Tidal

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2020, 03:51 pm »
Charles, CEC transport?

No. I have a CEC 01 but prefer the Aqua Acoustic La Diva.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2020, 03:57 pm »
As long as it's a free for all...

I haven't tried Qobuz. I've used TIDAL for 3(?) years and like it a lot. I own maybe 370 CDs, so there's little reason for me to invest in an expensive CDT. I have an incredible tube NOS DAC, a great NOS DAC, and an inexpensive Sabaj DAC to choose from.  8)

I use streaming for hearing new music and native DSD only. Everything else using a dedicated transport. Roon as well does not have the best sound. iPeng remote for me. Until one actually does a direct comparison one will not know there is a difference.

charles

Craig B

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2020, 04:39 pm »
I subscribe to both, since my streamer fully decodes MQA. But to be totally honest, I can't say I can tell a consistent difference between the highest resolution content of the two services, at least on my system (Node 2i, PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell, PS Audio M700 monoblocks, Magnepan .7s and Hsu sub). And on those few things on which I think I hear a difference, it's supremely subtle, and not the kind of thing that would make me say one is better or worse than the other.

For now I'm keeping both, since their catalogs are somewhat complementary, with more classical content on Qobuz and more popular content on Tidal (at least among those artists I have an interest in). If something happened and I had to lose one, I'd probably dump Tidal and keep Qobuz, only because I find myself exploring unknown classical more often than I explore unknown rock/pop/jazz/folk.

Rush

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2020, 12:37 am »
I have compared them, I prefer Qobuz for equivalent bitrates, etc. Setup is Roon, HQPlayer, NUC Streamer, Holo May KTE, Music First line stage, self made 300B monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Omega G2s in treated room with good dimensions and acoustics.

trianglezerius

« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2020, 11:38 am »
Have any of you guys tried Audirvana with qobuz and/or Tidal? If not I highly recommend it because it makes the streaming sound more like ripped cds. I just bought the software and I'm really enjoying it.

BTW I'm not hijacking this thread.

mav52

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2020, 04:47 pm »
I use both,  Qobuz for the overall quality. But they both work.

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2020, 05:28 pm »
The difference is simple. Tidal has a volume setting that actually allows gain to be applied to the stream. Therefore, it will clip down stream, like in your DAC. Qobuz volume control maxes out at unity gain so it doesn't have this problem- but most streaming services (Including Tidal) do. I arrived at this discovery using a variety of audio utilities and source material such as test tones.

Clipping is bad and will sound bad. Eliminate it and the sound is just like from a cd- and just like every other service..  All the services get their source material from the same place.