ATC

verlin

ATC
« on: 26 Sep 2021, 12:38 am »
Anyone have an experience-based opinion about ATC speakers?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: ATC
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2021, 12:00 pm »
No experience but from my reading and second opinions they seem overpriced and outdated.  Would rather look for firms with even deeper R&D and manufacturing pockets like JBL.  Had JBL 708P (active 2-way with 8 inch woofer), the all around best loudspeaker I've ever heard. 
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2021, 01:15 pm by JLM »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm »
I had SCM 11v2s (Belles Aria integrated) with a pair of REL T7i subwoofers that was one of the best systems I had ever owned or heard (in the price range). Would have been happy with that combination for a long time, but decided to retire early and my listening habits changed, so I sold everything and use a less expensive (older) system now.

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2021, 02:28 pm »
atc's are outstanding, real deal monitor speakers

tremendous accuracy/fidelity and ability to play without strain

plenty of reviews on the net

targa02

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2021, 03:18 am »
I owned a pair of the SCM 50 active speakers.  They were quite simply, spectacular.  The dynamics were off the charts.  You could easily hear anything you changed upstream.  However there was very little to change upstream, given that they are active.  I could have lived with them for a very long time.  But this damn hobby...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2021, 11:47 am »
I owned a pair of the SCM 50 active speakers.  They were quite simply, spectacular.  The dynamics were off the charts.  You could easily hear anything you changed upstream.  However there was very little to change upstream, given that they are active.  I could have lived with them for a very long time.  But this damn hobby...

At their price I'd expect/hope they'd be spectacular.  Your unfinished comment about "this damn hobby" reminds me of my experience with the JBL 708P, just couldn't keep well enough alone.  For me it was a theoretical compliant of the lesser internal ADC/DAC used.  Couldn't hear any problems but was running a really nice DAC up front that folks told me was neutralized by the downstream pedestrian ADC/DAC.  So auditioned a couple of similarly priced pure analog active monitors but was very unimpressed, so went back to my commissioned single driver floor standing transmission line loudspeakers that suit my taste well.

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2022, 08:11 pm »
No experience but from my reading and second opinions they seem overpriced and outdated.  Would rather look for firms with even deeper R&D and manufacturing pockets like JBL.  Had JBL 708P (active 2-way with 8 inch woofer), the all around best loudspeaker I've ever heard.

Disagree. ATC are excellent speakers,  with superior drivers. They are used in a lot of studios as monitors. I owned SCM19 speakers, and was quite happy with them.

FireGuy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2022, 01:09 am »
"I owned a pair of the SCM 50 active speakers.  They were quite simply, spectacular.  The dynamics were off the charts.  You could easily hear anything you changed upstream."

ATC's are on my (very) short list when the upgrade times comes.  Have not heard them but all the positives I've read have given me that "go ahead" vibe.  DeVORE Fidelity is the other maker.   

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2022, 10:03 am »

ATC's are on my (very) short list when the upgrade times comes.  Have not heard them but all the positives I've read have given me that "go ahead" vibe.  DeVORE Fidelity is the other maker.

Two of my favorite speakers that couldn't be more different.  Of course I haven't heard all the models from each manufacturer , but Devore is the epitome of massive sound stage and a sweet, delicate sound, lovely comes to mind.   ATC says unrestrained dynamics with dramatic detail.  Both companies seem to care less about price points, they build whatever it takes to get to their design goals then price accordingly.  They don't move into six figures to impress millionaires nor do they lower their prices enough for those of us on fixed income to afford.

Icebadger

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2022, 06:55 pm »
In this reply I am not negating anyone else’s experience with ATCs or other drivers. I used to own a passive version of SCM 20's. Only a severe monetary hardship forced me to sell them. Mine were older so they had the Audax tweeters. The tweeters were ok, but not remotely close to being an appropriate match to the mid/woofer drivers. I used a ribbon tweeter to clean up the highs. Newer ATC models may not need that mod to be SOTA. IMO the ATCs have a midrange that is superior to anything currently being sold new. The audible distortion is so low that even poor recordings were easy on the ears. I recognize that the above statement will be suspect, especially from a newbie to this forum, but please read the next few sentences. Over the last 45 years, I have been an exotic driver collector. Not for financial reasons, but just loved exploring fringe drivers. I have owned and listened to: Sony APM-6s, Carver Amazing Ribbons, Mangers, AERs, Lowthers, Magnat coronas, Accutons, almost every ribbon/planar tweeter/midrange out there, ESS Transars; electrostats: Quad 57s & 63s, Stax F-81s & est4us, Beveridges, Stacked 57 quads: Dynaudio Esotars, Scanspeak, Morel, JM-Labs/Focals, and lots of others. Most of those would address in a new way a particular aspect of the sound spectrum, but none could put the entire package together like ATC. Other drivers could put a musical instrument and/or vocalist in the room, but u could still always tell it was a recording. ATC's can put instruments & vocalists there in a richer more nuanced way that embarrasses most other "high-end" drivers. It is difficult to describe how ATCs are better. They are grain & resonant breakup free in the audible range. They also compress way less than any other drivers including Dynaudios. ATCs, both the 3” dome midrange and the midwoofers, have the best midrange of any driver I have every heard.

Icebadger

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2022, 07:08 pm »
Forgot to mention: If u get the ATCs, the difference in price between passive & active may seem too wide. It is not. The actives would be my first choice, but you can get just as good results through very careful system matching. The ATCs will sound very good in the mids & highs, but very weak in the bass with tube or medium power SS amps. That is not a problem if you are going to be matching a high-quality subwoofer. If you are not going to use a sub, then u will need a ton of SS power. You will need well over 100 very high-quality watts to get the bass to where it should be. The bass can be world-class, but you will need to plan on an amp that can drive about anything.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2022, 09:38 pm »
The ATCs will sound very good in the mids & highs, but very weak in the bass with tube or medium power SS amps. That is not a problem if you are going to be matching a high-quality subwoofer. If you are not going to use a sub, then u will need a ton of SS power. You will need well over 100 very high-quality watts to get the bass to where it should be. The bass can be world-class, but you will need to plan on an amp that can drive about anything.

I don't listen at concert levels, but used SCM11v2s for a year without any subs, sounded the same with a 20 watt tube amp and 50 - 70 watt ss integrated amps on up to 300 watts.

Auro

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2022, 12:27 am »
Anyone have an experience-based opinion about ATC speakers?

hello verlin

I had SCM19s earlier, and I’ve SCM40s currently.

Before I'd share my opinions, I have to admit I've no real experience in higher-end audio. I've some experience with expensive stuff such as MBL, Dynaudio Evidence, Piega flagship speakers, etc. but certainly not as deep. 
My "proper" listening experience is from a completely different level of gear (moderate price). Such as older Tannoy and B&W models, different Elac speakers (both bookshelf and floor standing), KEF LS50, M&K 950, etc. (often with additional subwoofers Elac/SVS).
Compared to these, I think the ATCs are very good sounding speakers to my taste.

I was quite surprised, that though these are considered "studio monitors" (SCM=studio control monitor), can be used as "all-rounders" (listening to music from classical to rock, and almost everything in between...).
Good overall balance between the drivers, no fatigue, very engaging for longer listening sessions. Pure joy to listen to.
Their sound is immersive. Quite "natural" sounding, quite "direct", very good stereo image, good sense of depth and size of the "stage", but not "huge" though.
The bass extension of the SCM40s is relatively shallow (48 Hz), but still absolutely satisfying to me. A surprisingly good definition of bass, fast, punchy, even on relatively low SPL listening level (70-75dBC). Finally, I can live without subwoofers  :lol: :lol:
There are drawbacks, of course...
They need current, actually, the more the better  :)
(That's why I’m here in the Odyssey community, to get the very best out of the SCM40s)

They are certainly overpriced (almost insanely) - so it's really advised to buy them on sale / second-hand.

They are indeed a sort of old-fashioned speakers, but with good enough craftsmanship behind them.
All the drivers are engineered and made in-house. (I appreciate that fact, actually.)
Most often the binding posts and the inner wiring get criticized.