Last night's meet, hosted by MKOM

aerius

Last night's meet, hosted by MKOM
« on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:10 am »
MKOM opened his store to us again and I came home with a lot more to think about, which is good.  We had a smaller group this time and managed to get more listening done, I was particularly interested in the Lowthers and Quad 57's.  Also, I think the audio gods are probably waiting to smite me for playing Slayer and Guns n' Roses on the Quads, I would not be surprised if a tube amp spontaneously explodes in my face or tries to electrocute me or something.  Once again I had a great time meeting the guys in our group, I suck at names so I only remember Syrah and Norman who hasn't signed up here yet.

My "what the heck?" moment came near the end of the night when it was just John and myself listening to a Sarah Harmer CD on the Quads.  We'd played it on the Lowthers earlier in the night and it was pretty amazing, on the Quads, not that great at first.  It sounded distant and somewhat subdued, as if the music were being held back by something.  Then halfway through a song it took half a step forward and showed glimpses of the beauty it had on the Lowther system.

John was like "you know I think I have an idea, let's demagnetize the CD" and he put the disc through a cycle on the demagnetizer machine while I'm thinking somewhat skeptical thoughts.  But the darn thing works, the presentation was now more forward & lively, and sounded quite a bit better than before though not as magical as the Lowthers.  I'm left with more things to think about and puzzle over, I don't know how it works and can't begin to figure out a theory, but the effects were right there for me.

stereoman

Re: Last night's meet, hosted by MKOM
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:31 pm »
Every time I enter John's store I feel like I'm in another dimension where time stands still :). Each room provides a different perspective on reproducing the musical experience. The Lowther, Wilson Benesch, and Opera speakers each have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm realizing why there are so many speaker manufacturers and technologies, as there is no clear "winner".
   Thank's John for sharing your enthusiasm and insights. The AudioPrism Quietlines I purchased do what they claim, and are a great bargain. Your music selection was interesting, and I'm looking forward to hearing more of Siri's Svale Band: Blackbird. It was nice meeting other club members--hope to see you guys at the next TAAS get-together.