Samsung/Vizio Hookup

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Samsung/Vizio Hookup
« on: 8 Jun 2019, 08:52 pm »
Hi. I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player and a big Vizio 1080 tv. I really like the cd sound from the older Samsung, which has RCA jack outputs as well as HDMI's. When the Vizio came into my system I noticed I can not play my Blu-Ray, cd, without turning on my Vizio even though I have turned the tv off. It comes back on when I power up my Blu-Ray.
     Is there some trick I seem to be missing? My last Samsung tv didn't do this. The Vizio has RCA audio outputs as well as 2 HDMI jacks on the side and 2 on the bottom of the tv.....thanks for any ideas. Sometimes I just want the music without powering up the tv.......thanks again Mark Korda.

Phil A

Re: Samsung/Vizio Hookup
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2019, 10:52 pm »
Mark - perhaps just disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV (or from the Blu-Ray player) and see if that resolves the issue?  I have a Sony 4k TV that wants a handshake even when it's off (standby).  I use an Oppo 203 and spoke to Oppo and when I play a disc (won't be doing that much longer as I'll be moving a Windows 10 music server back in there and also only play a disc to break in a new RCA cable as I'm into file playback) the TV either needs to be on or the HDMI cable disconnected.  It does similar things if I try to play a file from my Network.  So when I move the music server (and DAC) back in, I'm going to just use an old computer monitor so nothing is connected to the TV (only need the monitor on to select JRiver or in the case of Network playback from the Oppo to start up the Network playback from the Oppo).  Even when I go back into my Oppo 203, which doesn't get used tons, I have to re-establish the Network connection due to the Sony TV.  It's a pain.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2019, 12:51 am »
Phil,
   thanks for taking the time. After I read what you said instead of unplugging the HDMI cable all the time I will have to put up with the tv on when listening to a cd until I get a dedicated cd player. When I power up the Samsung my tv comes on automatically. I need RCA jacks because of my preamp/swichbox and Dyna 35 tube amp. It did work fine with both Samsung components. I used a little DAC called the Fiio Taishan that used an optic connection from my Samsung which had no RCA jacks, the Vizio does.
   I've tried every wire configuration so the problem you described helped me figure out mine. The older Samsung and the more modern Vizio don't seem to work with my set up unless someone out there knows different.
   I still have some cd's that I really like that I would think I could never find streaming. I really appreciate your answer Phil. Thanks again....sincerely Mark Korda.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2019, 05:07 pm »
Is there a source button on the Vizio remote? The solution may be as simple as changing the source to an unused input like antenna or HDMI2, then turn off the TV.

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2019, 03:54 am »
Most TV including Vizio have  a ARC( Audio Return Channel ) on HDMI   output you need to go into the settings of your Vizio TV and turn off ARC channel ,  you  may  need to disable  the same on your  Blue Ray player
if that does not work the only other option is to use RCA inputs  :thumb:

Asghar

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2019, 09:56 pm »
Hi,
  WGH, thanks! I tried what you said but still my Samsung kept turning my tv on even though it was turned off. I appreciate your help! A-shah, thanks for the tip. I'll try that tonight and see what happens....thanks again you guys....sincerely Mark.