Proud new papa of Salk SS 6Ms!

hilde45

Proud new papa of Salk SS 6Ms!
« on: 19 Aug 2020, 05:09 pm »
Hello all,

Since December of 2019, I've been assembling my first truly hi-fi system, and with the arrival this month of the Salk SS 6M bookshelves, it is complete!

Because the speakers took a while to build, and because I knew they would include a 30 day trial, I had time to consider a bunch of options. In addition to speakers I heard in stores, I home auditioned: Fritz Carbon Rev. 7s, Focal 936's, Martin Logan Motion 60's XTi, Dynaudio Evoke 30's, and Klipsch RP 600-M (in the budget category). These new experiences were invaluable educators of my aural sensibility, and I was a bit worried that when the Salks arrived, they would not measure up. Wrong, wrong, wrong. They beat every other speaker in many ways, and overall they were by far the winner. I couldn't be happier.

Jim was great to work with and was patient with my many questions.

Here's a photo and a system run-down. Thanks to folks here who offered me advice and helped educate me on various things.

Speakers

Salk SS 6M bookshelves
Sub: REL 328

Amplification

Tube:

QS Linestage (w/ NOS tubes)
QS Monos amp (NOS tubes for input/driver)

Solid State (mainly for the amp and possibly for a secondary system):

Atoll INT200 Integrated

Sources

CD transport: Cambridge CXC
Streamer: Bluesound Node 2i
DAC MHDT Orchid

Cables

Coaxial Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval
Coaxial Digital: AP Crystal Solo
Power Pangea Audio AC 9SE MKII and 14SE MKII

Speaker Wire

Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cables

Power

Audience Adept Response aR2p power conditioner
Wiremold 10 outlet power strip
Shunyata Research Venom Defender AC Power Line Noise Reducer

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Proud new papa of Salk SS 6Ms!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2020, 05:26 pm »
Very nice first system!  And let the sickness begin...

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2020, 05:46 pm »
Oh, yeah, you got the disease, for sure. Now you gotta upgrade everything else in your system to bring it up to the level of your awesome speakers. Have fun! And please self-quarantine -- your sickness is very contagious.

hilde45

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2020, 06:01 pm »
I know I'm sick when I go to bed reading about "sorbothane pads" and wake up wondering, "If I get fillable speaker stands, should I go with sand or kitty litter"?

Carl V

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2020, 06:34 pm »
looks killer... enjoy!

My first "high end"  circa 1983
was: cj PV5, VPi 19, cj Mv50, 2Ci, then 2w sub, then another MV52 then another 2w

we've come along way....and yours is proof of the improvements over time

hilde45

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2020, 07:13 pm »
Carl,

You're very kind! And...you were buying the good stuff when I was a kid in high school -- who at least was smart enough to convince his parents to buy a Yamaha receiver, AR speakers, and a Thorens turntable. That's what I moved into the dorms with, freshman year!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2020, 09:00 pm »
Congrats! They look great! Nice system. Curious, how did they sound compared to the Dynaudio? Did you pick these over the Silks due to being more tube friendly? Enjoy!

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2020, 09:15 pm »
Welcome to the ranks of Audiophilia Nervosa sufferers.  We are a sad lot...until we get that next upgrade!  :lol:

Really nice system with way better speaker than I started out with.  In 1974 I had a pair of these:

Polk Audio Mini-Monitors

And to drive them I had these:
Video of Southwest Technical Products Corp. Tiger 215/A amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgtd0P-16Y

And a SWTPC preamp (that I could not find a picture of) both were kits I built my senior year of high school.

Then I bought a pair of Infinity Infinitesimal V1 and the game was on!  Next I upgraded the electronics, preamp was swapped out for
Precision Fidelity C7A and a pair of Amber Series 70 amps running in mono.  Later I discovered the amps sounded better in stereo mode so I sold one to a friend.  That and a Denon DP-30 with Adcom Crosscoil cartridge and I was stylin'!  That system lasted ten years before the bug began to bite again.  Lately its been biting again lol!

Enjoy the music and ride getting there, hilde45.

hilde45

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2020, 09:16 pm »
Thank you! I chose them over Dynaudio and Fritz because those speakers were too rolled off in their highs, in my space. The SS 6M's were clearer and more detailed up top. The Focals and ML's were too bright, even harsh, in my low-ceiling basement.

I chose the SS 6M because they ostensibly had a 90db sensitivity and Jim suggested they'd work well with my tubes. I noticed that the sensitivity on the SS 6M site now says 87 db, but my 60wpc tubes are plenty for them.

How long until the bug bites again? Wait. Don't answer that.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2020, 10:01 pm »
Thank you! I chose them over Dynaudio and Fritz because those speakers were too rolled off in their highs, in my space. The SS 6M's were clearer and more detailed up top. The Focals and ML's were too bright, even harsh, in my low-ceiling basement.

I chose the SS 6M because they ostensibly had a 90db sensitivity and Jim suggested they'd work well with my tubes. I noticed that the sensitivity on the SS 6M site now says 87 db, but my 60wpc tubes are plenty for them.

How long until the bug bites again? Wait. Don't answer that.

Thanks for the info. I'm using 85db efficient bookshelves and might want to go to something more efficient since I'm going to try a 20wpc LTA tube amp. Probably not a great match, but we'll see. I also have Song3's downstairs that will be a better match but I know my wife really likes the bookshelf speakers upstairs so going to try and see how they work. The SS6M's are on my "one day" list.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2020, 01:26 am »
I know I'm sick when I go to bed reading about "sorbothane pads" and wake up wondering, "If I get fillable speaker stands, should I go with sand or kitty litter"?

Bottom half sand, top half kitty litter

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2020, 01:56 am »
Hmm, I fill stands with steel buckshot.  Easy clean up with a magnet.

DEP14

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2020, 10:24 pm »
Very nice!  Welcome to the addiction...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2020, 11:41 pm »
Congratulations! It's not an addiction per se; it's more an affliction, but a very nice one. [I think.]

AvsFan

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2021, 05:26 pm »
Updates?
Just spoke with Jim and he suggested this speaker for my situation.
So of course I am VERY interested in your feedback.