BDP-3--question on "Update" command not reaching 100%

Ilkatze

I have an issue where, after clicking on "Update" in the BDP-3 interface, the update does not reach 100%.  It has stopped at 87%, 90%, 95%, and 96%.  When it reaches those points, it just stops and stays that way.  I can close the window, go to other parts of the interface, play music, and so forth.  If I've added new music, it does show up after the "incomplete" update.

Is this something I need to be concerned about?  Just wondering if anyone else has had this come up.

Thanks

Calypte

Re: BDP-3--question on "Update" command not reaching 100%
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2018, 06:03 pm »
Are you talking about updating to the latest iteration of 2.38, or are you talking about updating the "Bryston DB?"  Version 2.38 of Manic Moose is defective.  It cannot properly update to the latest iteration of MM, and the update of the "Bryston DB" is also prone to failure.  On my BDP-pi the "Bryston DB" update usually freezes at about 15%.  The update to a new version of MM requires your close visual attention.  A screen may briefly flash by that says there's a checksum error, and the update will not complete.  It'll go into a never-never land with a little spinning thing that never resolves.  But you won't know the reason unless you closely watch the update progress.  With my BDP-pi, I was told that my problems probably derived from a bad micro-SD card in the unit, but now I'm told that the SD card is fine, which leaves Manic Moose 2.38 as the culprit.  I never had problems with version 2.36, and I strongly urge you to return to 2.36 or remain at 2.36.

Ilkatze

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2018, 06:48 am »
Hi, Calypte.

I have MM v. 2.38 on my player, and it is indeed the "Bryston DB" that doesn't reach 100% on an update.

MM 2.38 resolved a previous issue I was having, so I'll stay with it, though I do hope the database issue gets resolved.  I've noticed that while new music does get added, and everthing plays just fine, but I notice also that album art that is either missing (maybe only 5-7 instances of this) or doesn't update to a current image that is in fact on the music drive (I use SSDs).

I have never noticed a spinning icon or checksum error notices--I've watched the small update box quite a few times.  I hope this issue is something easy to work out.

Calypte

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2018, 07:34 pm »
Ilkatze: There are two different "update" issues.  I think they are unrelated. 

(1) The update problem that throws up the brief checksum error message and then ends with an eternally spinning little "stick" is the update to a new version of Manic Moose.  Back in Sep 2018 I was able to successfully apply 2.38 from 2.36.  But then there was a later iteration of 2.38 that would not load correctly.  There is no end-user solution. 

(2) The "Bryston DB" function, whereby the system provides a search list by artist, often freezes at about 15%.  I did find that sometimes I could get it to go to completion if I did it late at night, when there was no other activity on my home network.  Version 2.36 had a switch where you could control whether the "update Bryston DB" function would proceed.  I couldn't find such a switch in v.2.38.  The list resulting from the "Bryston DB" function in v.2.36 was missing many items and was devoid of usefulness, so I never looked at the resulting DB in 2.38.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2018, 01:04 am »
I have an issue where, after clicking on "Update" in the BDP-3 interface, the update does not reach 100%.  It has stopped at 87%, 90%, 95%, and 96%.  When it reaches those points, it just stops and stays that way.  I can close the window, go to other parts of the interface, play music, and so forth.  If I've added new music, it does show up after the "incomplete" update.

Is this something I need to be concerned about?  Just wondering if anyone else has had this come up.

Thanks

If you go back to the dashboard does it indicate that bryston db has crashed?

Ilkatze

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2018, 05:35 am »
Hello, Chris.

Tonight, the Bryston DB reached 100%.  I ran it again later just to see if it would reach 100% again, and it did.

I was in the Dashboard interface when I clicked "Update".

What's different is that, both times, there was something called a "Folder build", and it's that update that didn't finish.  It stopped at 94%.

I think I saw the "Folder build" yesterday after clicking the "X" on the "Bryston DB" dialogue box and, like this evening, the "Folder build" didn't reach 100%.

I didn't notice the word "crash" anywhere in the system log, but in the "Web Server" log (I think that's what is is), I did see the word crash near the top of the log, and somewhere near the end of the log there was something about not being able to find something (one of the "albums" I have for which the album art doesn't show up).

I ripped two CDs this evening, but only for one of them does the album art show up.  It's not irritating, but ever since the icons with the album art stared being indicated (within the last year or so, I think), it's hard not to notice when something does not show up.

Maybe it's part of the "folder build" thing going on.

Not sure any of this information helps.  My problem isn't critical.  It would just be nice for things to work a wee bit better.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2018, 02:04 pm by Ilkatze »

Ilkatze

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2018, 05:44 am »
Hello again, Calypte.

I've not had the problems you describe in your post, so I'll consider myself lucky.  I also don't recall having ever seen the spinning stick you mention, but that doesn't mean it hasn't appeared.  I probably wasn't looking at the screen.  I was tempted to run the firmware update just to see if any spinning icons of the kind you describe would show up, but I decided I'd leave things be.

Incidentally, I leave the view at "Default", and I don't run searches or anything.  My music comes up with the composer's (or artist's) first name first, and I know what I have, so I just find things on the list as they are.  After looking into alternatives, I didn't go through with a last-name-first ordering.  I'm a bit familiar with most composers' first names, but it's still a little strange to go to "G" for Gioachino Rossini instead of "R".   Going with last name struck me as a pain in the neck--too much retagging that I didn't want to do.  I do enough already.

Calypte

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2018, 09:22 am »
The problem with the "Bryston DB" update is that there's no way (at least no way that I can see) to defeat it in 2.38.  There was a flag you could set in 2.36 that would keep it from updating Bryston DB when you update new listings into the library.  I guess I've just acknowledged that there are three different "update" functions.  I have my folders organized by composer, composition, and conductor or artist (if solo).  I can find any item quickly.  My composers are organized surname, given name and birth and death years.  Within each composer's folder goes folders for each work and performer.  I put the birth-death years in simply to make it easier for me to recognize the names.  At my age, things sometimes run together in a list unless I do something to help myself out.  Pop and jazz performers are listed by first name.  I try to list things in a way that corresponds to how I would instinctively look for them. 

Calypte

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2018, 09:22 am »
If you go back to the dashboard does it indicate that bryston db has crashed?

Usually. 

Edited to add: Sorry, I see you were replying to Ilkatze.  I find that sometimes that the "update" that brings new items into the catalogue has to be run more than once.  Sometimes I have to power cycle the BDP-pi and then rerun the "update."  This is the "update" option that's on the upper left of the screens.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:53 am »
Below is what the dashboard view should indicate when everything is all hunky dory

if rebuilding the bryston db never completes the dashboard will display this message

As of S2.38 if you have the Bryston DB is turned on and your using the default view it will want to display cover art in place of the generic folder icon and if rendering the contents of a folder/path takes more then 3 seconds (maybe its 5) then the BDP will cache the page so you don't need to wait and this is where the Folder build messages comes in.  Each time you update your music database and you have Bryston DB turned on the BDP will follow the mpd update

It will then rebuild the bryston db, do any scrapping if the auto scrape feature is turned on, followed by rebuilding the cached folder/path views. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:59 am »

I ripped two CDs this evening, but only for one of them does the album art show up.  It's not irritating, but ever since the icons with the album art stared being indicated (within the last year or so, I think), it's hard to notice when something does not show up.

There is a fix in the next firmware release that deals with image paths, this maybe what your experiencing.  If you place your BDP into service mode and email me the service id I can install the fix remotely to see if its the same problem, otherwise I can use service mode to see whats wrong.

Chris

Ilkatze

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2018, 02:15 pm »
Thank you, Chris.  I've emailed you the service ID.