Help me choose an XLR cable

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Help me choose an XLR cable
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2018, 10:15 pm »
Sailor,

no cables yet but i got a usb-low-noise power supply from them. i have an ifi dsd nano dac at home and when i listen to music via my laptop i use this combination. with good results.

if i would need a well made cable i certainly would give Aqvox a try. best of it: return it if you don't like it :thumb:

al.

OzarkTom

« Reply #21 on: 28 Oct 2018, 04:19 am »
My buddy Rex just got a pair of the new Morrows, and he is very happy with them.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #22 on: 28 Oct 2018, 09:18 am »

dburna

« Reply #23 on: 28 Oct 2018, 02:24 pm »
May I suggest you also look at this
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-starquad-analog-xlr-cable

This link has an in-depth video at the end of the web page showing the immunity to RF interference the Canare StarQuad cable provides. Of course, if you do as the do in the video and put power cables across your XLR cables at a 90-degree angle than I suppose your biggest improvement (regardless of XLR cable) would be to reconfigure your rig so that you don't do that anymore.   :duh:

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has compared Benchmark's XR versus the Grimm TPR. Different topologies and I believe it would make for an interesting comparison.

Regards, -dGB

dburna

« Reply #24 on: 28 Oct 2018, 02:28 pm »
For analog use, in my discussions with Pro Audio LA, they find TPR as the best value. They find the TPR better than 2549 and almost as good as the much more expensive Vovox unshielded, while being close to the price of 2549. So in terms of value, TPR wins, according to them.

I think TPR is a good choice for standard shielded analog/digital use. It's priced reasonably well.

I had basically the same discussion with the Pro Audio LA folks which is how I ended up with the Grimm TPR as well. I think it is a pretty good XLR cable and you'd need to spend quite a bit more to better it. Another unsolicited plug for Pro Audio LA -- they were easy to deal with and sent my cables quickly.

Regards, -dGB

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2018, 06:01 pm »
I use Canare StarQuad cable with Neutrik NC3-B series XLR connectors to connect a PX05 Passive crossover to My Thiel SS2.2 subwoofer. Very satisfied. 
(Cable provided by Blue Jeans Cable)

sailor

« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2018, 08:04 pm »
@zoom25   Thanks for the interesting link about jitter, will make some time to check it out. When you used a longer length of same cable and connectors you said it sounded more relaxed. I've been thinking about that, not sure if that was good or bad. Did you mean a lack of soundstage and/or detail.

sailor

« Reply #27 on: 28 Oct 2018, 08:14 pm »
@ anonamemouse  I looked at their site and at that price I think I may just order one unheard. I actually need 2 cables and it would give me something to compare against.

@ OzarkTom  I heard a Morrow cable as I mentioned and was neither disappointed nor impressed.
Perhaps higher up the range may do it. He's always having huge sales, we'll see.

OzarkTom

« Reply #28 on: 29 Oct 2018, 12:14 am »
@ anonamemouse  I looked at their site and at that price I think I may just order one unheard. I actually need 2 cables and it would give me something to compare against.

@ OzarkTom  I heard a Morrow cable as I mentioned and was neither disappointed nor impressed.
Perhaps higher up the range may do it. He's always having huge sales, we'll see.

Rex bought a Five XLR. He said you can trade any cable in for partial payment Morrow is great for that.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 29 Oct 2018, 12:22 am »
I'm surprised your buddy Rex hasn't tried Iconoclast yet.  That's what real audiophiles use these days. 

zoom25

« Reply #30 on: 29 Oct 2018, 02:31 am »
@zoom25   Thanks for the interesting link about jitter, will make some time to check it out. When you used a longer length of same cable and connectors you said it sounded more relaxed. I've been thinking about that, not sure if that was good or bad. Did you mean a lack of soundstage and/or detail.

As you increase the length of the AES cable (same wire + connector), the sound does get more laid back and starts to loose a bit of focus. The soundstage also gets a bit larger and diffuse with the larger cable. This was not a problem with something like the HD 800 w/out modifications or EQ as their soundstage was already big and only got bigger, plus it helped remove some of that bite. The image getting a bit diffuse was only not that bad on the HD 800 as they already imaged so well.

However, when you have neutralish speakers and headphones, with the ability to utilize EQ to get the most balanced sound, the shorter cables are my preferred choice. I use the BDP-1 with Roon. Within Roon I use the preset for LCD-2C. If the rest of the chain is balanced and there is nothing you are trying to cover up, the shorter digital cables will give you the most locked in image and clearest details. The difference in texture and sharpness of transients and things like bass attack and decay is better on the shorter cable.

In a way, digital cable length can be used as a litmus test. If the shorter digital cable produces undesirable results, it may not be the cable that's creating something nasty, but simply better revealing a problem that was previously hidden. Of course, it is possible you could use a longer digital cable to cover it up, but the much better decision in the long run would be to fix the true source of the problem and stick with the shortest digital cable that will give you the least jitter.

When I had the HD 800 for 2+ years, I flip flopped between longer and shorter cables. However, with the more balanced and non-fatiguing Audeze headphones, I have always preferred the shorter 2 feet TPR over the longer 3173 (10 and 18 feet).

Since I have been talking about length so much, it's only a matter of time until somebody posts this or brings it up: https://positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Pro Audio LA makes these cables at roughly $20-$30. One could easily get made multiple AES and SPDIF cables from there and at various lengths, for the same price as  a single cable from a boutique manufacturer. If you buy from an 'audiophile,' you are stuck. There is no room for personal investigation unless you are made up of money.

If you keep your BDP's stacked or very close to the DAC, go buy a 1-2 feet AES cable from a reputable manufacturer with Neutrik connectors. If you are stacking, you can even get something like a 6 inch made. I remember reading that James has a 4 inch for his BDA+BDP stack. It would be cool if Bryston also made shorter jumper versions for use specifically with their own Bryston gear when stacked for best digital transmission.

OzarkTom

« Reply #31 on: 29 Oct 2018, 03:10 am »
I'm surprised your buddy Rex hasn't tried Iconoclast yet.  That's what real audiophiles use these days.

Rex had an 18" version, and Morrow gave him 60% off for a trade-in. Too many brands of cables to keep up. I will tell him.

MttBsh

« Reply #32 on: 29 Oct 2018, 04:02 am »
Rex had an 18" version, and Morrow gave him 60% off for a trade-in. Too many brands of cables to keep up. I will tell him.

Tom - I'm still using - and loving - the Burson Cable+ Pro interconnects that last year both you and Rex felt were the best interconnects you had ever heard. Have you changed your mind about those? Not sure they're available in XLR ...

sailor

« Reply #33 on: 29 Oct 2018, 06:17 pm »
@zoom25  I have read the article you linked to many years ago and read it again now, and glad I did. It has been bandied about that longer digital cables sound better, but after re-reading Nugent's take on the matter it would appear that the Bryston kit has sufficiently fast transition time from driver to receiver to benefit from shorter cables which if I understood you correctly you also found.  So I will keep them short.

Has anyone tried cables from TEO. I contacted a friend whose opinion and ears I trust is doing back-flips and somersaults after installing a pair.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 29 Oct 2018, 11:03 pm »

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/iconoclast/buy.htm

OzarkTom

« Reply #35 on: 29 Oct 2018, 11:26 pm »
Tom - I'm still using - and loving - the Burson Cable+ Pro interconnects that last year both you and Rex felt were the best interconnects you had ever heard. Have you changed your mind about those? Not sure they're available in XLR ...

Mot me. Rex said the Burson and the Morrow Five is very close. The Five is a new one by Morrow.  Morrow is XLR, Burson is RCA. I have not switched to XLR, very happy with my Bursom Cable + Pro. The Burson is $200, Morrow Five is $550.

Rex needed it for his Dac Dac. He has a pre with XLR and RCA inputs and wants to  compare DACs. He has so many. Rex is still happy with the Burson.

avta

« Reply #36 on: 30 Oct 2018, 01:09 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #37 on: 30 Oct 2018, 06:05 am »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #38 on: 4 Nov 2018, 10:35 pm »
This one.....

AndrewA

« Reply #39 on: 5 Nov 2018, 12:29 pm »
Match Canadian with Canadian.  Take a good look at Audio Sensibility.