Help me choose an XLR cable

sailor

Help me choose an XLR cable
« on: 25 Oct 2018, 05:20 pm »
Hi guys, I have a Van den Hul Orchid BNC from my BDA-1 to BDP-1 and would like to 'upgrade' to an XLR  AES/EBU cable that will give me a significant improvement. What do you suggest?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Help me choose an XLR cable
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2018, 05:44 pm »
Hi guys, I have a Van den Hul Orchid BNC from my BDA-1 to BDP-1 and would like to 'upgrade' to an XLR  AES/EBU cable that will give me a significant improvement. What do you suggest?

http://bryston.com/products/other/digital_AES_EBU.html

james

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2018, 05:52 pm »
I have Mogami 3173 and Grimm TPR at various lengths and will use them as needed. Currently with a 2 feet TPR.

Make sure you get something with a correct impedance from a reliable company. I remember this thread about how boutique audiophile AES and S/PDIF cables measured really bad.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/preferred-aes-ebu-110-ohm-digital-cable-you-have-tried.13216/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2018, 06:54 pm »
 :duh: Bryston !!!! Just makes sense when a component manf. makes it's own cable. :thumb:

charles

dburna

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2018, 06:57 pm »
I have Mogami 3173 and Grimm TPR at various lengths and will use them as needed. Currently with a 2 feet TPR.

Make sure you get something with a correct impedance from a reliable company. I remember this thread about how boutique audiophile AES and S/PDIF cables measured really bad.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/preferred-aes-ebu-110-ohm-digital-cable-you-have-tried.13216/

Zoom25, would you provide your perspective/comparison of the Mogami vs. Grimm cables? Would be very interested in same.

Thank you, -dGB

zoom25

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2018, 07:49 pm »
Zoom25, would you provide your perspective/comparison of the Mogami vs. Grimm cables? Would be very interested in same.

Thank you, -dGB

With the BDP-1 feeding my DAC (Dangerous Music Source), I've tried the following:

1) Mogami 2964 for S/PDIF (2 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet)

2) Mogami 3173 for AES (10 feet and 18 feet)

3) Grimm TPR (2 feet)

All of these cables were custom made by Pro Audio LA. I placed the order for each cable type at the same time, so it can be assumed the same cable in different lengths is from the same roll of wire.

I cannot directly compare the 3173 and TPR as their length doesn't intersect. However, there is some overlap happening, such as 2 feet of 2964 vs. 2 feet of TPR and 10 feet of 2964 vs. 10 feet of 3173.

I have done those comparisons at equal lengths as mentioned above, along with just testing how things change as you go up and down the length of the same wire. There does seem to be a pattern. Length aside, there also does seem to be a difference in the presentation between the different connections (AES and SPDIF). It's present and consistent at both 2 feet and 10 feet.

As an aside, I also find my DAC can sound subtly different in presentation when fed by my iMac w/USB. I've tried a Jitterbug and Belkin Gold, generic, and Audioquest Forest there as well.

I think the differences are subtle, which can easily be verified by hard A/B testing in short interval testing. However, one can become sensitized to it over time and so the differences can start seeming bigger than they actually are just because you are so involved. The differences start to matter more over longer listening sessions. I did spend an unreasonable time comparing them.

The changes are on a spectrum and what may suit one's rig/gear can vary depending on the particular music played at the time or whether your testing involved long listening sessions or hard and fast switching. I've often picked opposite things depending on if the testing involved fast changes vs. longer intervals.

Bottom line (applies with control for length and at varying lengths):

- S/PDIF connection sounds more upfront, appearance of being more locked-in with more detail, sharper on transient and drier sounding (especially noticeable during belts)

- AES sounds more laid back (plane), holographic, and more liquid. Where the SPDIF gives the impression of being more locked-in, the AES comes off as more diffuse (but in a good way).  In quick testing, it can seem less detailed than other connection. AES is my preference over SPDIF or USB from my computer or even the BDP-1. There is this liquidness to the overall timing (big point!) and especially transients that makes it sound more natural and easier over the others, especially in long-term listening. When I just listen to one connection without switching, I find the AES is the most involving and least distracting. SPDIF and USB on lot of modern pop/hip-hop with respect to vocals, or tonality on classical pieces can sound a bit plasticky. The air around the vocals feel slightly manufactured and unnatural.

Every few months when I return to do some testing between inputs, my brain tells me I'm wrong for liking AES over the SPDIF of USB because they make the image more locked in and come off as more detailed, but as I continue to listen and listen without changing, the AES comes out on top. I wonder if it's all down to the timing aspect which makes the AES sound more liquid and easier on the brain.

Regarding length:

The longer the cable gets, the more diffuse the image gets and transients also get softer. Shorter digital cables are more locked-in and detailed. I am currently using a 2 feet TPR as I have the BDP-1 and my DAC on different racks to maximize air flow. Later on, I might try a 1 footer or 6 inch if I were to stack them.

For analog use, I'd definitely recommend the TPR or the Mogami 2549 over Mogami 3173 (Shield Current Induced Noise). I don't like what the 3173 does for analog.

For digital, it's hard to conclusively recommend the TPR or 3173 since I don't have them at same lengths.

In the end, one can try out different connections, different brands or wires, and different lengths and come to their own conclusion. At this point, I am internally well aware of how each connection and configuration sounds. In fact, that aspect hasn't changed much since I first started comparing. What does change is how I make sense of those changes that I hear and whether I like one over the other, or if I think one is more or less detailed, or which has lower/higher jitter/noise etc. It's the interpretation part that still hasn't been 100% convincingly settled for me.

Enjoy!  :thumb:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2018, 07:10 am »
In addition, the Grimm TPR is used in many studios in Europe.

sailor

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2018, 10:58 am »
@James Tanner
Hi James, what is the price of this cable you recommend in 0.6M and 1M length including shipping to Ireland, and have you actually heard the VDH Orchid cable I am presently using? If so, what improvement could I expect to hear.

I replaced a pair of analogue IC's the name of which I can't remember (they use quad core solid silver conductors with WBT RCA's)  with a pair of VDH Orchid IC's and heard a huge improvement in everything which really made listening more enjoyable and fun. Its hard to describe the extra realism and the way instruments come alive.  My wife said WOW, play me some Queen, now lets listen to Boz Scaggs, now this and now that and so on. I explained that maybe a similar step up could be realized by changing the digital cable and got another wow from her and encouragement to do it.

This is the type of upgrade I seek. The VDH Orchid BNC to BNC I am using for digital is just an analogue pair that has been split and I have no confidence that this is performing anywhere near the level of its analogue duties.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2018, 11:03 am »
Hi Sailor,

The Bryston XLR cable is $120 for a 1 meter length.

james

bobf

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2018, 02:45 pm »
I used a digiflex AES  specific cable from BDP3 to a DAC. Sounded great and well made. Cost was around $45.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2018, 03:38 pm »
Without knowing your budget-

Belden 8402 XLR's from either of these 2 places.  I use a pair from BTPA and they are very clean and musical sounding-

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/1693-belden-8402-ag-deep-cryo-treated

https://btpa.com/IC8402XLR-XX.html?category_id=182

A friend of mine owns the pair from Take 5 audio and loves  them.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2018, 04:22 pm »
Nothing fancy needed. Not with Bryston gear.

2gumby2

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2018, 04:31 pm »
I've been very happy with the XLR cables I bought from Pro Audio LA using Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. I use this cable between my Bryston BP-26 preamp and Mivera Audio amp. Link here.
https://www.proaudiola.com/XLR-straight-to-straight-s/369.htm

zoom25

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2018, 06:52 pm »
For analog use, in my discussions with Pro Audio LA, they find TPR as the best value. They find the TPR better than 2549 and almost as good as the much more expensive Vovox unshielded, while being close to the price of 2549. So in terms of value, TPR wins, according to them.

What they told me about the Vovox is almost identical to what I've heard from others. The Vovox's high sound the best and most fluid with stuff like cymbals sounding the most detailed. There are all kinds of descriptive words that people have used to describe them that you can guys can look up, however, there is one interesting thing that a few people have mentioned from shootouts. According to them, the Vovox always sounded the loudest with the most headroom. I confirmed with Pro Audio La and they do find the Vovox as being louder than the TPR.

I do question whether this difference is simply because of the unshielded nature and the RF is somehow modulating the sound into being louder/brighter with more noise that is somehow preferable?

The Pro Audio guy was also using an almost identical rig to mine (Torus power with Amphion cables, monitors, amps). He said the Vovox didn't seem to be picking up any audible noise that he could detect with the Torus and other gear nearby. Of course, the RF can still be modulating the sound that isn't directly audible like a hum or static.

I think TPR is a good choice for standard shielded analog/digital use. It's priced reasonably well.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2018, 03:31 am »
I've been using Morrow Audio cables for a while. Best part is that it's pretty easy/affordable to give them a try, and then upgrade later to get more of the same (if you enjoy them).

http://morrowaudio.com/

sailor

« Reply #15 on: 27 Oct 2018, 10:22 am »
@Zoom25: How did the Audioquest cable compare to the others. I once borrowed an Audioquest analogue IC, not sure which one, and did not hate it nor love it but never played with their digital cables. I find your comment about AES being the 'most involving and least distracting' of great interest and is the type of info I am looking for.

@I Greyhound Fan: Budget hard to say. I am now retired and do not wish to keep on trying cables waiting for the right one to appear, and upon hearing a very good one may then be tempted to continue trying for even better. I don't have the money for this nor do I want to waste time on mediocrity. Life is too short for just so so sound and I have no time for 'background' music. To answer your question re budget is as I mentioned hard to say. I suppose about $600 and have no aversion to used, in fact I would prefer this. Cheaper too if it would do what the VDH Orchid analogue did for me. Would extend the budget a little if was a jaw dropping experience.

@Canadian Maestro: You claim fancy not needed with Bryston gear. I have recently moved to Ireland and only a month ago did I unpack and install my Wadia 15 DAC which I use for redbook files but use the BDA-1 for high-res which the Wadia can't handle. 90% listening is redbook and I find I prefer the Wadia for this. I had a Transparent Premium BNC digital from Oppo to BDA-1 which I replaced with a purple Madrigal (Mark Levinson supplied) and the improvement was impressive, similar to what the VDH cable did. The Madrigal also kills the Transparent on the Wadia. The point being that Bryston gear definitely responds to quality cables.

@Grit: A friend is trying to convince me to buy a Stealth Varidig Sextet but is way over my budget even used. Pity because I heard the huge improvement when he replaced a Morrow cable with it. This is not a fair comparison with the Stealth being about 6 times more expensive.

WAF! I fortunately have a wife who enjoys music as much as I do and is, after hearing the VDH, actively encouraging me in this endeavor. I am not a VDH agent, some of their cables are disappointing in fact and are sometimes called Van Den Dull, however the VDH Orchid is outstanding especially after I re-terminated them with some expensive Furutech solderless RCA's

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #16 on: 27 Oct 2018, 12:18 pm »

@Canadian Maestro: You claim fancy not needed with Bryston gear. I have recently moved to Ireland and only a month ago did I unpack and install my Wadia 15 DAC which I use for redbook files but use the BDA-1 for high-res which the Wadia can't handle. 90% listening is redbook and I find I prefer the Wadia for this. I had a Transparent Premium BNC digital from Oppo to BDA-1 which I replaced with a purple Madrigal (Mark Levinson supplied) and the improvement was impressive, similar to what the VDH cable did. The Madrigal also kills the Transparent on the Wadia. The point being that Bryston gear definitely responds to quality cables.

For digital AES cables, no differences were heard with my gear (all Bryston sources and amp). Most people switch AES cables hoping to improve on transparency and "neutrality". Even jitter. With Bryston sources, their gear are already at their best for the traits I just mentioned. Especially jitter and transparency. Unless there's something amiss in the cable design, a digital signal (and thus, SQ) will not vary by changing out the cabling. Talkin' about AES now.

cheers

p.s. I agree - "Bryston gear definitely responds to quality cables" -- analog interconnects imo.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2018, 01:19 pm by CanadianMaestro »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2018, 03:14 pm »
hi, Sailor!

try Aqvox. German company. they give you 4 weeks to try it at home. if you don't like it - send it back.

al.

sailor

« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2018, 04:48 pm »
Hi alexone,

Googled Aqvox and see their cable sells for the reasonable price of Euro 159

Have you any experience with their cables?

zoom25

« Reply #19 on: 27 Oct 2018, 07:26 pm »
First off, with the BDA-1, BDA-2, BDP-1, and BDP-2, Bryston's own recommendation in the owner's manual and James' own recommendation was for AES over the other inputs. It wasn't until BDA-3 and BDP-3 combination when James felt the USB was right there or even better. I'm not sure where James stands now on USB vs. AES on that BDA-3/BDP-3 combo.

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time with my non-reference 2.0 TV rig with Emotiva DC-1 feeding active monitors. Usually, I either feed it digitally from the Samsung TV's optical output or the USB output from a Macbook Pro. I was going to put on Spotify as usual from the Macbook Pro and feed the Emotiva via USB. However, I had forgotten it and was feeling lazy to get it. So I hooked up the iPhone 6+'s analog output to the DC-1's analog input. So I was listening to the DAC in the iPhone6+

Tonally, the iPhone's DAC wasn't far off from DC-1's. It sounded same on the whole. Although, as I listened more and more, the differences started becoming more and more noticeable. There is this micro smearing in the vocals that makes the voices sound less smooth and whole. Of course, this was on a bigger level than what I hear with different digital inputs, which are much closer to each other. Nonetheless, the changes were on the same spectrum. As I improve between my various DACs, sources (BDP-1 vs. computer vs. CD player), and through preferred inputs, I notice that vocals start to sound smoother without these micro holes and smearing that ultimately causes fatigue as you spend more brain power to resolve those details. I think it's this calmness with AES that sometimes results me in not liking it when doing it blind and switching inputs rapidly. As I start increasing time intervals, and then go back and forth slower, AES always starts winning in my rig.

I think that's why I end up with AES in the long run. I am not sure what's the difference between how SPDIF or AES is handled in both the BDP-1 and my DAC's input, and whether the difference is in clocking or noise. The only thing that James has said on the DAC side is that they like the higher voltage of the AES over the lower voltage in SPDIF.

If you want to learn a bit about jitter and actually hear it, try this: http://www.cranesong.com/jitter_1.html

I just want to clarify that my experiments and suggestions were not about finding the best brand of cables. It had more to do with varying length of the same cable/connectors, and also comparing inputs at same lengths. I'm not saying you need to buy Brand X. I was only trying to make sense of the differences I was hearing. I didn't go looking for cables in search for better sound. I already owned all those cables before I started experimenting. The experiment started because I initially had the BDP-1 and my DAC stacked on top of each other and so just used a 2 feet SPDIF cable. Later on, I repurposed a rack for audio use and suddenly I had individual shelves. As a result, the gear was no longer stacked and I had to use a longer version of that cable (still the same wire and connector - just longer length). I wasn't expecting any differences from that change, and at first I thought I had some thing wrong with the analog cables or some power interference issue because the image all of a sudden got more relaxed. I even double checked whether someone messed with the speakers and how they were toed-in.