Toronto AudioFest 2018

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Toronto AudioFest 2018
« Reply #40 on: 24 Oct 2018, 12:13 am »
Hi James,

I've been using a BP-6C for several years, but with the new locations of my speakers - - 26 feet from the preamp, I decided to go ahead and get a preamp with balanced outputs, rather than having 30-foot runs of 10 gage speaker cables. My choice was between the BP-26 and the BP-17.    (4BSST2 amp)

Based on your earlier comment,   " . . . I use the BP26 because it is a bit more forward sounding than the BP-17... ," I ordered a BP-17 this afternoon.

Thanks,

George

Hi George

OK great to hear - look forward to your feedback.

Having the shorter speaker cables will make a huge difference!

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #41 on: 24 Oct 2018, 09:03 am »
Kevin Croxall

Heard this system at the Toronto Audiofest this weekend past, excellent sounding room that Bryston had.

Good to see and meet the people I have only heard about in the media from Bryston.

Like Harold said in this string "Some day" I will own Bryston speakers and amplifiers.
:thumb:

ricmon

« Reply #42 on: 24 Oct 2018, 05:49 pm »
Hello James.  Last year you guys had a setup at CAF.  It's very unfortunate that we will not have the opportunity to experience you new products and I must say I a bit peeved about this....... Really Toronto and not CAF?  For shame  :oops:

Ric

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 24 Oct 2018, 08:28 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please see the attached review from NOVO Magazine regarding our demo at the Toronto AudioFest.

It nice to see they point out one of the most misunderstood aspects regarding loudspeakers.

"You might think that the imaging would be compromised by speakers with so many drivers but you’d be completely wrong. 

The T-REX speakers painted a vast soundstage with excellent three dimensionality."

witchdoctor

« Reply #44 on: 24 Oct 2018, 10:15 pm »
Hi Folks,

Please see the attached review from NOVO Magazine regarding our demo at the Toronto AudioFest.

It nice to see they point out one of the most misunderstood aspects regarding loudspeakers.

"You might think that the imaging would be compromised by speakers with so many drivers but you’d be completely wrong. 

The T-REX speakers painted a vast soundstage with excellent three dimensionality."

Hook 7 of them up to the SP4 for a t.1 setup, talk about surround sound.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 25 Oct 2018, 06:37 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Video Demo – T-REX

October 2018

Hi Folks

My thanks to Joseph (whomever you are) for this great video of the Bryston Demo at the 2018 Toronto AudioFest (see link below).

LINK:

https://www.facebook.com/KangaOfTheEmpire/videos/10104652655428510/?t=41

“Pretty awesome system and full sound!

Impressive. :-)

Joseph Greenham

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 25 Oct 2018, 11:53 am »

They sounded awesome, imaged like small, high-end bookshelf designs.  Filled the entire room with coherent audio!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 27 Oct 2018, 11:44 am »

At that price point, The T-Rex could be considered a veritable bargain!

The sound from the T-Rex was easily the best I have heard from any Bryston Speaker that I have heard. The sound stage was immense and the bass while surprisingly deep. Male vocals were rendered with a lot of authority and texture.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 29 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm »
SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston 6 Moons – T-REX

October 2018

Bryston held court in a large room,curiously accessible through a dining area. Mr. Tanner had an interesting trick up his sleeve with a 9-foot tall line source array comprised of 2 model T stacked head to head.

At its pricepoint, it behaved flagship and delivered the sonic benefits with a vengeance with detail, warmth, scale and soundstaging to rival the price-no-object competition.

Glen Wagenhnecht
6 Moons Magazine

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 30 Oct 2018, 08:55 pm »
SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Demo

October 2018

James and Brian

We received this from a visitor to the show … read until the end!

Sarah Tremblay
Toronto Audiofest

“Hello Sarah, Michel, and Ben,

I attended the Toronto Audiofest Friday Oct 19 and Saturday Oct 20. I wish to congratulate you on a supremely well organized event.

Downloading the show program I was able to plan at home my two show days before traveling to Toronto.

On arriving the signage was excellent. Everything was well laid out and easy to find. I have attended many audio shows and this event is now the reference for excellence. Everyone was having a good time, the enthusiasts and the exhibitors, which is not always the case. There were so many good exhibitors I did not have time to take advantage of the hosted seminars.
It was not lack of interest it was lack of time.

The event facility you chose fit the bill perfectly. Good luck with future endeavours,

Thanks for this one,
Terry Kearsley

P.S.       
The demonstration of the current state of reproduced sound technology in the Bryston demo room was the show stopper.”

Jozsef

« Reply #50 on: 4 Nov 2018, 09:40 am »
It seems more than a few people noticed that the Bryston demo sounded rather good. I thought so too! In the decades I've been involved with audio, there was always the desire to share what I've learned so that others could get more enjoyment from listening to music in their homes. It's been satisfying on each occasion to see all the smiles when everything was set up and turned on for the first time.

These days, all my advice is condensed into a single phrase; trust Bryston. And of course then I have to explain that I don't work for them and I haven't drunk any sort of Kool Aid and yes, it's unexpected that an electronics company would make remarkably good speakers, but here we are.

I would normally run away from a system with so many drivers instead of contemplating how to perhaps one day own them and that's a tribute to the quality of engineering that captured the virtues of such a design while effectively mitigating the pitfalls. Maybe the nicest part is that I wasn't even surprised by how lifelike the T-Rex sounds because the Bryston folks have pulled so many metaphorical rabbits out of proverbial hats over the years. Good job, guys. :-)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 4 Nov 2018, 09:56 am »
It seems more than a few people noticed that the Bryston demo sounded rather good. I thought so too! In the decades I've been involved with audio, there was always the desire to share what I've learned so that others could get more enjoyment from listening to music in their homes. It's been satisfying on each occasion to see all the smiles when everything was set up and turned on for the first time.

These days, all my advice is condensed into a single phrase; trust Bryston. And of course then I have to explain that I don't work for them and I haven't drunk any sort of Kool Aid and yes, it's unexpected that an electronics company would make remarkably good speakers, but here we are.

I would normally run away from a system with so many drivers instead of contemplating how to perhaps one day own them and that's a tribute to the quality of engineering that captured the virtues of such a design while effectively mitigating the pitfalls. Maybe the nicest part is that I wasn't even surprised by how lifelike the T-Rex sounds because the Bryston folks have pulled so many metaphorical rabbits out of proverbial hats over the years. Good job, guys. :-)

Thanks Jozsef for the kind words.

It was fun to see people coming into the demo room and eyeing the T-Rex and commenting to me that "James - you have lost your mind"  :lol:  But then they sit and listen and I loved to see the look on their faces when they realized how great the system sounded.  I really like doing these shows as it gives me a chance to really dispel the myths and misunderstandings about the so-called Bryston 'sound' and as you say especially the concept that you are only allowed 'one tweeter' for a speaker to image correctly.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 4 Nov 2018, 12:24 pm »

After some serious contemplation, I have come to the conclusion that the Bryston T-Rex active system at the Toronto Audio Fest stole the show.

Big, well-controlled and musically pleasing sound here, but it did make me feel short and frail — see for yourself – Ernie Fisher.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #53 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:03 pm »
James,

A stupid question, if I may...

Have you tried stacking the smaller speakers in your line up this way? Let’s say someone doesn’t have the space and/or budget for the stacked Model Ts, would they get similar (although obviously not as good) results with the A series? Or even the stand mounts?

I’d imagine at a price point it becomes stacked vs a higher up single and that’ll be a preference thing, but just speaking from a perspective of outright performance rather than cost vs performance.

Another question that may have been answered elsewhere; can non-active speakers be made active?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:10 pm »
James,

Have you tried stacking the smaller speakers in your line up this way? Let’s say someone doesn’t have the space and/or budget for the stacked Model Ts, would they get similar (although obviously not as good) results with the A series? Or even the stand mounts?

Another question that may have been answered elsewhere; can non-active speakers be made active?

Hi Stu

We are offering the Middle T’s in a TREX setup as well. (Sold 3 pairs as of the show). Maybe we will offer Mini T version of TREX as well with a special stand.

The stacked system has to be Active as we can do adjustments in the active crossover to align the drives and slopes etc. 

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 5 Nov 2018, 07:00 pm »
SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Demo- Andrew

October 2018

Hi James

I attended the 2018 Toronto AudioFest Show this past weekend and just wanted to report that the Bryston T-Rex setup truly moved me emotionally, and totally drew me in to the performance.

More so than any other room at the show.

What struck me about the system was that the soundstage was massive, yet there was a character to the delivery that made the music sound effortless and relaxed. Transients and dynamics were there.

Perhaps more so than with my current Mcintosh system. The Mcintosh electronics deliver all of the emotion, but perhaps a bit too politely and too refined sometimes. I kind of want a bit more of that grittyness and dynamic punch, yet without sacrificing nuance and detail.

I know you can't have it all...but at the end of the day the Bryston T-Rex speaker was highly memorable, both visually striking and the ability to reproduce music that kept pulling me in.

Andrew

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 5 Nov 2018, 07:22 pm »
SUBJECT: Toronto AudioFest 2018 – Bryston Demo

Toronto Audiofest 2018 Simplifi'd
Written by Gordon Brockhouse

Highlights

Bryston had a wild demo system in its room. For each channel, there were two Model T Active speakers, stacked vertically in line-source configuration.

The rest of the all-Bryston system consisted of a BAX-1 active digital crossover, a BDP-3 digital player, a BDP-3 DAC, a BP26 preamp, and a pair of 21B3 three-channel power amplifiers.

Not surprisingly, this system had astounding dynamics. A big honking saxophone note in Zoot Sims’s rendition of Johnny Mandel’s “Emily” -- it sounded as if the mike was right in the bell of his horn -- almost blew me out of my chair – Superb!                                                                         

Of greater relevance to Simplifi readers was a silent display of Bryston’s Wireless series of powered speakers.

These are based on Bryston’s Mini A three-way passive shelf-mount, and the Model A1 and A2 floorstanders.

The Mini A has a single 6.5” woofer, a 3” midrange, and a 1” tweeter. The Model A1 has three 6.5” woofers, two 5.25” midrange drivers, and two 1” tweeters. The smaller Model A2 has dual 6.5” woofers.

Wireless-series models have the same internal crossovers as their passive counterparts, and one amplifier in each speaker.

All three models ship with a Wireless four-in-one transmitter that permits streaming over Wi-Fi via Apple AirPlay or UPnP. On the rear of the transmitter are a line-level analog input, digital optical in, four USB ports for connecting external storage devices, and an Ethernet port. It also incorporates a Raspberry Pi Linux-based computer, which makes possible network playback from NAS drives and supported streaming services, under control of a Web-based interface that can run on iOS and Android devices.

Shipments of the Wireless models have just begun.

Gordon Brockhouse,
Simplifi Soundstage

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #57 on: 6 Nov 2018, 09:23 pm »
James,

I’d imagine at a price point it becomes stacked vs a higher up single and that’ll be a preference thing, but just speaking from a perspective of outright performance rather than cost vs performance.

Stu,

i asked James a while ago almost the same question. if i remember correctly he said that there is no demand for active speakers of the A-series...
pretty sad as i think, 'cause for those who want a quality active system at a lower budget the A-series might be a good catch.
and given the success of the T-series i can't imagine that it is not doable to do active A-speakers... :scratch:

greetings,

al.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #58 on: 6 Nov 2018, 10:29 pm »
Those stacked speakers give new meaning to "High-End" Audio!  :lol:

mrhyfy

« Reply #59 on: 7 Nov 2018, 12:58 am »

I am sure that stacked Middle T's would be very sweet in most domestic setups.