Wait Time For Magnepan LRS???

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Wait Time For Magnepan LRS???
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2019, 11:23 am »
With home audio sales generally in the tank it's really good to hear of a company having wait times for their product.
Not so good for the buyer but in the long run it's a good thing for everyone.

Good for the company in the short run, but not so much the long run. I'm thinking there are people, like me for instance, who would be interested in these entry level speakers if the wait time were reasonable.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2019, 12:34 pm »
I would have to disagree. Magnepan IS doing what is best for themselves in the long run. So many companies over-extend, then the rebound they die. Way way better to have a long wait time and disappoint a few, then not be there in two years, in bankruptcy. I can guarantee you soon enough the "being popular because they are popular' will die, and the sales will crash.. And then all the angry people who bought them, not because they are good little speakers, but because they were touted to be the be all end all of inexpensive will be whining and crying... "I bought these speakers and blah blah so I am devastated they did not save me from myself"... And at that time (which is certain to come) you can buy a used pair even cheaper.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:21 am »
What I meant is that it is good because the company will be in good financial health and will be around later on down the road if you need something from them.  Having a backlog of orders beats having NO backlog of orders.

And, no, I am not privy to any financial details about Magnepan or any other audio company, just a general observation from spending many years being self employed.  Playing catch up is a good thing even if the customers don't see it quite that way.

howler minkey

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2020, 02:06 am »
as of today, eric@magnepan says there’s an
8-10wk wait in production before shipping

Saturn94

« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:30 am »
Mine took 10 weeks (ordered in Aug 2019).  It was worth the wait, IMO.  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #25 on: 18 Feb 2020, 01:59 pm »
I believe the comments are missing the actual situation.  It costs money to ramp up production, equipment purchases and investment in personnel.  There's a flurry of interest now in the LRS causing addition orders above what Magnaplanar saw with MMGs, I'm really sure they have a tight handle on what long term demand will be.  If they increase capacity now, in a reasonably short time that extra interest will die down leaving equipment idle, employees laid off, and the investment in training them wasted.  It's simply sound business practices used to avoid price increases or reduced profit.

steve k

« Reply #26 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:52 pm »
Eric at Magnepan told me 14 weeks on my order due to the holidays. I'm hoping for the end of February now.  I'd rather have them take their time to do this right than rushing the orders and risking quality issues. The LRS is my 4th pair of Magnepans and I'm sure they'll be worth the wait.
steve

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:57 pm »
I believe the comments are missing the actual situation.  It costs money to ramp up production, equipment purchases and investment in personnel.  There's a flurry of interest now in the LRS causing addition orders above what Magnaplanar saw with MMGs, I'm really sure they have a tight handle on what long term demand will be.  If they increase capacity now, in a reasonably short time that extra interest will die down leaving equipment idle, employees laid off, and the investment in training them wasted.  It's simply sound business practices used to avoid price increases or reduced profit.

Could not have said it better myself with regard to how Magnepan needs to handle the high LRS demand.  It is a tribute to just how popular the LRS have been with sales generated by word of mouth.

The order was placed for my LRS in about the last week of January and they gave a wait time of 8-10 weeks.  I have my second system all set up and ready to receive them.  I am very exited and waiting patiently.  I am familiar with the sound of Magnepan through demos and my Dad’s excellent 3.7i.  After I get the LRS I will see how it goes.  Nice to know if I do not like them I can send them back within 60 days. But if I do like them I will be temped to trade them in on the 1.7i within one year which really makes the LRS such a great place to start.  Also if I keep the LRS or upgrade to the 1.7i I will get a Rythmik F12SE sub to go with them.

AvsFan

« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:19 pm »
Could not have said it better myself with regard to how Magnepan needs to handle the high LRS demand.  It is a tribute to just how popular the LRS have been with sales generated by word of mouth.

The order was placed for my LRS in about the last week of January and they gave a wait time of 8-10 weeks.  I have my second system all set up and ready to receive them.  I am very exited and waiting patiently.  I am familiar with the sound of Magnepan through demos and my Dad’s excellent 3.7i.  After I get the LRS I will see how it goes.  Nice to know if I do not like them I can send them back within 60 days. But if I do like them I will be temped to trade them in on the 1.7i within one year which really makes the LRS such a great place to start.  Also if I keep the LRS or upgrade to the 1.7i I will get a Rythmik F12SE sub to go with them.

You're going to LOVE them! What does this second system consist of? Amplification in specific?

And you and I couldn't be in the same boat if we tried. This is my second system too. I was like $650, what the heck, let's give them a try. I think Magnepan should give a 90 day in home trial. They take a little longer to get used to and break in than most other speakers. In fact there were a couple of times in that 60 day window I almost returned them. I thought they were okay but in all honesty didn't like them that much, I am so glad I fiddled with them more and gave them time to play and break in. I just left my system on all day while I worked and it helped and now I am beyond happy with my LRS's!
But now I am in that 12 month window where I am questioning if I should upgrade to the 1.7i's. I am SERIOUSLY considering it. And I am also looking into and have been looking into Rythmik F12's too. Had many conversations with those guys! But I am going with a dual 8 inch sealed set up from Louis over at Omega. Should be lightning quick and perfect for the Maggies. 

AvsFan

« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:34 pm »
Good for the company in the short run, but not so much the long run. I'm thinking there are people, like me for instance, who would be interested in these entry level speakers if the wait time were reasonable.

Good things come to those who wait. Didn't your parents teach you that?  :D

Seriously though, most of my great equipment I have had to wait for. I don't mind. I had to wait for my ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends, LRS's and Decware SE84UFO. I am happy I waited!

smargo

« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2020, 06:18 pm »

I am so glad I fiddled with them more and gave them time to play and break in. I just left my system on all day while I worked and it helped and now I am beyond happy with my LRS's!

for me what turned me around from tinking they were just ok - to amazing - was the inclusion of a subwoofer

AvsFan

« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2020, 07:13 pm »
for me what turned me around from tinking they were just ok - to amazing - was the inclusion of a subwoofer

Absolutely! I am talking about this on other threads. I think the subwoofer is going to be a MAJOR improvement.

I am already a huge advocate on subwoofers being a must in any application with any speaker but with the Maggie's, at least the LRS's, they are an absolute MUST! The bass that the LRS's have is good, fast and articulate but they need low end help. There are complete layers of music and impact that they are totally missing.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:37 pm »
The order was placed for my LRS in about the last week of January and they gave a wait time of 8-10 weeks.

I called the last week and the wait time for the LRS is now 10-12 weeks. That’s way too long for me so I went ahead and ordered the .7 - it will be interesting to see how they work in my small room.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #33 on: 17 Apr 2020, 05:30 pm »
I called the last week and the wait time for the LRS is now 10-12 weeks. That’s way too long for me so I went ahead and ordered the .7 - it will be interesting to see how they work in my small room.

Congrats!  If this is your first pair of Maggies, give them 75 hours of break-in.  Use heavy gauge speaker wire and adding a decent sub will greatly improve your enjoyment.  I love my 1.6's and original MMG's.

AvsFan

« Reply #34 on: 17 Apr 2020, 06:54 pm »

All you're going to be thinking the entire time is.........
I should have gone with the 1.7's. LOL.  :D

I'll sell you my LRS's and upgrade to the 1.7's!

Kidding. If you have a small room like mine, .7's will be just fine.

AvsFan

« Reply #35 on: 17 Apr 2020, 07:02 pm »

Congrats!  If this is your first pair of Maggies, give them 75 hours of break-in.  Use heavy gauge speaker wire and adding a decent sub will greatly improve your enjoyment.  I love my 1.6's and original MMG's.

Everything he said!

Seriously, break in time is a must! It's real with Maggie's. Everything over the past year has opened up and gotten a lot better. Part of it is getting better electronics over the past year. But at first, I wasn't impressed or blown away. I liked them and they gave me a glimpse into the Maggie world, now, my gosh, it's truly a magical music listening experience. I ma a Maggie owner now for life.

I didn't see what you had for amplification either. But that's also key. Don't let people tell you that they will get by and sound just fine on medium powered and mid-fi gear. By very good amplification and good clean power, my 400 watt monoblocks have the Maggie's singing like nothing I have ever heard before.   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #36 on: 17 Apr 2020, 07:08 pm »
My room isn't just small, it's nonlinear with seven walls in an overall sort of triangular shape, about 180² feet give or take. I can put 4' between them and the front walls. Not sure if I have enough power. Will probably get Mye stands and a sub if they work out.

AvsFan

« Reply #37 on: 17 Apr 2020, 07:17 pm »
My room isn't just small, it's nonlinear with seven walls in an overall sort of triangular shape, about 180² feet give or take. I can put 4' between them and the front walls. Not sure if I have enough power. Will probably get Mye stands and a sub if they work out.

Gotcha, sounds like an odd shaped room. And YES! You just jogged my memory. I am going to go online and purchase those stands today!

AvsFan

« Reply #38 on: 17 Apr 2020, 07:18 pm »

Don't you have DAC amps?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 17 Apr 2020, 07:23 pm »
Don't you have DAC amps?

Yes, 48v King mono though. So that's only 200 watts into 4Ω.