'Stereophile' has just published a very positive review of the Treos.

mgsboedmisodpc2

i read the stereophile review and what shocked me most was the treo being a vented design very new to vandersteen whom have used passive radiators in the past now acoustic couplers

mgsboedmisodpc2

The Quatro are vent loaded out the sides and back bottom of the speaker as well. wonder if anyone has noticed any chuffing noise from the treo and quatro when bass tones from organs or electronic music are played at high volume

geowak

I love Vandersteen speakers, since I first heard one. But I thought all reviews published in Stereophile mag were positive??
I mean that's half the pay and perks of the reviewer, yes? :duh:

TONEPUB

Your understanding of the publishing world is near zero.

Doublej

Reminds me of a pair of 20 year old Thiels except the Thiels look better. There's something to be said for spending a few dollars on visual design.

geowak

Maybe advertising has something to do with positive reviews.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I've wondered about that in the past but I think it's more along the lines that magazines choose to review components that they know in advance will be good.
I don't own Vandersteen speakers or care one way or the other about Stereophile; I just got to thinking about the steady stream of positive reviews in the various magazines which led me to my friendly stereo store to see if I was being duped by unscrupulous journalists which then led to every penny being sucked out of my wallet but that's another story.

geowak

I am not knocking Vandersteen speakers at all. I have a pair of 2CE Sig II's and I love the sound they make. I am just saying that I have not read a less than positive review in Stereophile mag.

The dealer I had bought the Vandys from asked me to come by and have a listen, since I had not heard anything anywhere else that I liked (Totem, KEF, Klipsch, Paradigm, B&W, Rega, Focal) . I liked them after two sessions and bought them from the dealer. He also knew that I was looking for a tube amp. He called and stated he just got a new line of amps in from Line Magnetic Audio. He let me listen to one with the 2 CE's. It was a great combo and I bought the amp. At that time I had listened to Cary, Rogue, Primaluna and others. The LM Audio just sounded better. I had not read reviews, but had asked on forums for opinions on gear at that time.

So I now believe in listening for yourself and trusting your own ears, not what someone else tells you is good or bad. The LM Audio amp was holding it's own against a Leben, Musical Fidelity, and McCormack amps. As for the LM Audio stuff, there were very few (if any) reviews on this Chinese made gear.

It would be very informative for all here, it Tonepub would give us more info as to "how" the publishing world works and, more importantly, how we as consumers can benefit from reviews.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I'm with you, reviews are good for pointing you in a promising direction but you've got to get out and hear the product for yourself if at all possible. 

TONEPUB

I've wondered about that in the past but I think it's more along the lines that magazines choose to review components that they know in advance will be good.
I don't own Vandersteen speakers or care one way or the other about Stereophile; I just got to thinking about the steady stream of positive reviews in the various magazines which led me to my friendly stereo store to see if I was being duped by unscrupulous journalists which then led to every penny being sucked out of my wallet but that's another story.

While I can't speak for John Atkinson, there are a lot of positive reviews these days because none of the majors are really making much crap anymore.  If you're an adult with free will (and I'm hoping you are) you shouldn't be getting "duped" by "unscrupulous journalists" that are sucking money out of your wallet.  I certainly can't think of anything Stereophile has reviewed in the last 8 years, that we listened to that I felt they missed the boat on.  My hope is always that you as the reader, can learn a little something (or at least have a good laugh) from all of us.  In my opinion the word "journalist" is highly overused in the audio world.  But that's an argument we can all have another day.

I can't tell you how boring this constant whining about how everyone that writes for the magazines is a crook and we're all lying to you to sell product to sell advertising.  None of you go to work in the morning and work without pay.  Why should John Atkinson or I work for free?

Again, I can't comment on most of the other online magazines, but I've talked to enough people that write for them.  Other than SoundStage (which runs and conducts itself like a business, paying its writers accordingly) we're the only online hifi magazine that pays close to what the print magazines pay their writers. 

For a print magazine like Stereophile, TAS or HiFi Plus, the major expense isn't the writers, editors and photographers, it's the cost of printing, packing and mailing the damn paper magazines.

While I haven't dealt with everyone in the hifi industry, we deal with most of the majors.  It's business.

They obviously want to advertise in a publication that writes a decent review of their product, which confirms a purchase as often as it helps to make one.

But a decent review (at least in my opinion) isn't merely a positive fanboy experience.  It's about describing the sound AND functionality of a component accurately enough that it helps you the reader decide if said product is worth your time to listen to for yourself.  Only you can decide if you've heard what we've heard.  It's not always positive or negative.  Knowing that magnepans need a ton of power to drive and that they won't really work with a 9 watt SET isn't being negative, it's describing the product. Etc etc etc. 

If a decent review helps a manufacturer sell their product and it helps you find a product that suits your needs, we all win.  You get gear you're happy with, the manufacturer makes a few bucks and we look like we know what we're talking about.

On the rare occasion that we get a product not up to snuff, we send it back, but I can't say I've done this five times in well over 500 product reviews.

The tough part in all of this process is to take enough of the emotion out of it to be rational and leave enough in to be entertaining so you don't fall asleep reading the copy.

In the end though, in order for all of us to succeed, they need to make the best products they can, and we need to do the best job we can telling you about them, otherwise it comes to a halt pretty quickly.  We feel that if we ultimately serve our readers, our advertisers will be served, because we aren't duping anyone.  I know many out there are always clamoring for negative reviews so that it can all feel so much more honest, but there's just no big conspiracy to uncover.

And hopefully, in the middle of it all, we all make a living doing something we really enjoy.

Vandersteen has always made a great product.  And I've never gotten a dime of advertising money from them.  Whether you like them or not is up to you, as it should always be.  Hopefully a good review or two will give you some insight into what they (or any other manufacturer) have built.

geowak

While I can't speak for John Atkinson, there are a lot of positive reviews these days because none of the majors are really making much crap anymore.  If you're an adult with free will (and I'm hoping you are) you shouldn't be getting "duped" by "unscrupulous journalists" that are sucking money out of your wallet.  I certainly can't think of anything Stereophile has reviewed in the last 8 years, that we listened to that I felt they missed the boat on.  My hope is always that you as the reader, can learn a little something (or at least have a good laugh) from all of us.  In my opinion the word "journalist" is highly overused in the audio world.  But that's an argument we can all have another day.

I can't tell you how boring this constant whining about how everyone that writes for the magazines is a crook and we're all lying to you to sell product to sell advertising.  None of you go to work in the morning and work without pay.  Why should John Atkinson or I work for free?

Again, I can't comment on most of the other online magazines, but I've talked to enough people that write for them.  Other than SoundStage (which runs and conducts itself like a business, paying its writers accordingly) we're the only online hifi magazine that pays close to what the print magazines pay their writers. 

For a print magazine like Stereophile, TAS or HiFi Plus, the major expense isn't the writers, editors and photographers, it's the cost of printing, packing and mailing the damn paper magazines.

While I haven't dealt with everyone in the hifi industry, we deal with most of the majors.  It's business.

They obviously want to advertise in a publication that writes a decent review of their product, which confirms a purchase as often as it helps to make one.

But a decent review (at least in my opinion) isn't merely a positive fanboy experience.  It's about describing the sound AND functionality of a component accurately enough that it helps you the reader decide if said product is worth your time to listen to for yourself.  Only you can decide if you've heard what we've heard.  It's not always positive or negative.  Knowing that magnepans need a ton of power to drive and that they won't really work with a 9 watt SET isn't being negative, it's describing the product. Etc etc etc. 

If a decent review helps a manufacturer sell their product and it helps you find a product that suits your needs, we all win.  You get gear you're happy with, the manufacturer makes a few bucks and we look like we know what we're talking about.

On the rare occasion that we get a product not up to snuff, we send it back, but I can't say I've done this five times in well over 500 product reviews.

The tough part in all of this process is to take enough of the emotion out of it to be rational and leave enough in to be entertaining so you don't fall asleep reading the copy.

In the end though, in order for all of us to succeed, they need to make the best products they can, and we need to do the best job we can telling you about them, otherwise it comes to a halt pretty quickly.  We feel that if we ultimately serve our readers, our advertisers will be served, because we aren't duping anyone.  I know many out there are always clamoring for negative reviews so that it can all feel so much more honest, but there's just no big conspiracy to uncover.

And hopefully, in the middle of it all, we all make a living doing something we really enjoy.

Vandersteen has always made a great product.  And I've never gotten a dime of advertising money from them.  Whether you like them or not is up to you, as it should always be.  Hopefully a good review or two will give you some insight into what they (or any other manufacturer) have built.

Well stated and thanks for sharing all this information on the publishing side of reviews. I don't think many can argue about the business aspect of writing about audio. I think it's up to the consumer to do the research, become educated, and make an informed intelligent decision about an audio component.

In the end, it's the audio listener who wants to be happy and content with his/her gear and the music it plays. I suppose there are those who relish the process of buying and selling audio components, as often as I change my under drawers....but wait that subject too, is for another day.

BTW is TONEaudio the magazine you write for?