New to Audio Circle-devoted WTRP owner.

Brett a

New to Audio Circle-devoted WTRP owner.
« on: 4 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm »
Hi all.

I just joined Audio Circle in order to participate in this Well Tempered forum. I'm really hoping it can take off as a gathering place for those of us who own these strange and fantastic instruments.

Mine is an older Well Tempered Record Player. I bought it a little over a year ago from an Audiogon seller. I can't believe the performance for the money! It replaced a Rega Planar 2 with Incognito RB250 etc. And i know you guys will understand the the performance upgrade from that 'table was not subtle!. The WT arm removed junk from the signal I didn't even know was in there.

I have mine mounted with an Audio Technica OC9MLII and plugged into a Jolida JD9 phono stage.

I'm looking forward to learning more from folks who have more experience with these 'tables than I do.

Thomhel2

Re: New to Audio Circle-devoted WTRP owner.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2013, 07:53 am »
The best deck I have ever owned is the simplex, sold high spec lp12 and it beats the lp12 in every way, I have a friend with the classic and its not as good as the simplex, I work in the trade and have heard nearly everything, you need to spend a fortune to really better it.
Paul

Charisma12

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2013, 03:32 pm »
I completely agree with Paul.

watercourse

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2013, 07:31 pm »
Welcome! Yes, the Simplex is really a great table. The more time I spend with it, the better it gets.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2013, 07:45 pm »
Welcome to the Circle.
I've got a square motor and a Classic plugged into Jolidas and they're both great tables.

Jazz-Vinyl

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2013, 05:14 am »
The best deck I have ever owned is the simplex, sold high spec lp12 and it beats the lp12 in every way, I have a friend with the classic and its not as good as the simplex, I work in the trade and have heard nearly everything, you need to spend a fortune to really better it.
Paul

The original Classic's are not as good as the Simplex?  Must be an amazing deck.  I wish Well Tempered offered an in home trial...

I have a classic that sounds pretty darn astonishing...would love to hear the better SQ of the Simplex Vs the Classic.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:30 pm »
Welcome. I agree with the forum consensus that the Simplex is a great deck. It must be considered one of the best hi fi bargains available today. The Amadeus and Versalex better it in all areas enough to justify there extra cost IMO but the baby sibling is never disgraced.

watercourse

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:44 pm »
I have no dog in this fight, and don't need to hear anyone say that the Simplex is better or worse than this or that, but I have heard an older WTL table, unfortunately not sure what vintage/model it was. I have a feeling it was a Classic, based on the pics provided by Jazz-Vinyl in other posts. This was a completely different system (but a very very nice tubed system), but I would say that the most obvious difference was in speed and dynamics of the newer lines. I've heard the Simplex and the Amadeus GTA.

Of course, the owner may have preferred a more damped sound (overdamped to my ears), and I know that the arm was damped more than mine is. In other words, please take user preferences into account, and the fact that this is the only older WTL table that I've ever heard, i.e. very limited sample size. Also, I only heard one album played on it (Joe Henderson's State of the Tenor), which I think lacks bass and is rather 2D sounding, so I can't say anything more about frequency extension or soundstaging of the table. From what I recall, it was a pretty truthful rendition of the recording.

However, the bottom line is that it sounded good enough for me to seriously consider WTL tables, so hopefully this will balance out any perceived but not implied statements that the Simplex is a better table.

Jazz-Vinyl

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2013, 02:20 pm »
I appreciate your clarifications, watercourse.

I have not heard the Simplex...so I cannot make a comparison, but set up correctly, the original designs, are no slouches.

They really sound great.

watercourse

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2013, 05:06 pm »
Do you have the live Joe Henderson trio album? If so, what do you think of my description of the recording quality? It's got amazing performances on it, regardless.

Jazz-Vinyl

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:50 pm »
I don't have the Henderson live album. 

The only Joe Henderson I have is "Double Rainbow".  Have not listened to it in a long time.  But will do so, tonight.

I will say the Well Tempered has made me appreciate some records I _thought_ I didn't like, due to what I percieved as a bad mix.

The WT clarifies complicated passages, that I think lesser tables, turned into distortion.