Best USB cable for the buck

ricmon

Re: Best USB cable for the buck
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2019, 03:02 pm »
I'm using this cable.  It's magnetically shielded with a very nice cloth outer sleeve and of excellent quality and best the cable I had laying around.

Styled in orange, the Roland Black Series RCC-3-UAUB is a USB cable intended to transmit data. It utilizes multi-strand copper wire with high-density spiral shielding to eliminate interference and unwanted noise. High-quality connectors are utilized here, as is a heavy-duty polyethylene insulation. This cable measures 5' in length.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1376993-REG/roland_rcc_5_uaub_black_series_interconnect_cable.html

worth a look....a good look.

Ric
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2019, 08:21 pm by ricmon »

wushuliu

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2019, 07:13 pm »
It's worth rearranging the gear so one can use just a USB adapter or the shortest possible length like a 6in. instead of chasing cables.

Whitestix

« Reply #22 on: 2 Feb 2019, 11:32 pm »
I have the Starlight 7 USB cables and recently got this modestly priced Oyaide Neo D+ Series B cable online for about $30.  I can't say as I noticed much different in SQ between the two.   What did masterfully and significantly improve the sound of my system was acquiring an ISO Regen + LPS 2 power supply.  I thought my Ayre QB-9 was outstanding, but the filtering with the ISO Regen demonstrably improved my SQ:  quieter background and more air around the instruments.  The ISO Regen and power supply cost about $700, and were worth it.  However, I previously used a USBDisruptor device and it yielded ~70% of the benefits of the ISO Regen device.  It cost $150 and I'd be happy to part with it for $100 to an interested party with shipping included.  It cleans up a lot of noise, no question, and makes the music much more analogue-like.  The isolated power supply appears to be the key to the efficacy of these devices.  They are both "plug and play." 

hifix

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2019, 08:52 pm »
I'm using a DIY USB cable (using CAT6a sstp).
Inspiration from this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-usb-a-b-cable.665635/

I soldered the lot with 60/40 and didnt bother with the techflex and thread tape.

1.1m DIY USB cable > 0.5m cable > 1m cable.

audioengr

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2019, 09:47 pm »
I am using Platinum starlight cables, 1 at 3m and one at 1m and this regenerator in-between, powered by my Dynamo LPS:

https://sotm-usa.com/collections/lightly-auditioned/products/tx-usbultra-special-edition-9v-demo

Killer sound quality with my XMOS Off-Ramp 6 USB converter driven by Mac Mini running Amarra.  USB cable supply is my Power Block.  Best SQ in 22 years of doing this.  Takes 5 boxes though:

SOtM regenerator + Dynamo
Power Block USB supply
Off-Ramp 6 + Dynamo

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

viggen

« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:47 am »
Hard act to follow Steve. But just chiming in to say I've been happy with the already mentioned Mapleshade Clearlink for 5 yrs now.  I've only compared it to Furutech GT-2 and the Belkin Gold.  Only the MS is musical.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2019, 02:39 pm »
Sounds like a killer set up Steve, unfortunately not even close to cheap and cheerful.

Mike B.

« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2019, 04:16 pm »
A good bang for the buck cable is the AQ Carbon. It does take break-in.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2019, 12:16 am »
A good bang for the buck cable is the AQ Carbon. It does take break-in.

I'm sure, but way over guidelines.  Original guidelines prohibit any branded cables, only DIY. We've loosened that up a bit, but a hundred dollar ceiling for cables, preferably much lower, has been accepted as reasonable.

audiobomber

« Reply #29 on: 2 Mar 2019, 04:06 am »
I bought the Oyaide Neo d+ Class A USB 2.0 Cable based on this TAS review. I completely agree with his description of the SQ: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oyaide-neo-d-class-a-usb-20-cable/

I also tried the pricier Oyaide Neo d+ Class S USB 2.0 Cable. The Class A was my preference, by far. Both were highly detailed. The Class S was very bright and in your face, the Class A was very organic; warm and natural sounding.

RDavidson

« Reply #30 on: 4 Apr 2019, 03:21 pm »
OK. So, I started out with a long, old, Belden Gold USB cable. It was serviceable for sure. Nothing to write home about, but no glaring issues either. A few months ago I bought a Pangea SE USB cable. It was a nice improvement over the Belden especially in detail and focus. With that said, I don't think the Pangea is the most neutral USB cable. The top end is slightly emphasized so leading edges stand out versus naturally blending with the musical portrait. I guess refinement is what it lacks a bit of. Overall, for ~$50 it is a REALLY nice cable and well constructed. Recently I got a lightly used Curious Cables USB. It is indeed the best I've tried so far and likely the last USB cable I'll buy for a very long time. It is not cheap and cheerful, but what it revealed to me is that I was missing a bit of space, bloom, decay and again, refinement, with the Pangea. The Curious Cable is overall just more natural and neutral. This is to be expected with a much more expensive, bespoke, cable. But for $50 the Pangea is no slouch and really quite impressive. I highly recommend it as a meaningful step up from Belden Gold, which I think is the cheep and cheerful USB "standard."

wushuliu

« Reply #31 on: 5 Apr 2019, 06:21 pm »
I bought the Oyaide Neo d+ Class A USB 2.0 Cable based on this TAS review. I completely agree with his description of the SQ: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oyaide-neo-d-class-a-usb-20-cable/

I also tried the pricier Oyaide Neo d+ Class S USB 2.0 Cable. The Class A was my preference, by far. Both were highly detailed. The Class S was very bright and in your face, the Class A was very organic; warm and natural sounding.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea these existed. Easily available on Amazon, too.

@RDavidson - agreed on the Belkin and Pangea. Curious is too rich for my blood though...

RDavidson

« Reply #32 on: 5 Apr 2019, 07:22 pm »
Thanks for the info. I had no idea these existed. Easily available on Amazon, too.

@RDavidson - agreed on the Belkin and Pangea. Curious is too rich for my blood though...

The Curious Cable is not cheap. I had reservations buying a new one which is why I waited for a used one. I was content with the Pangea in the meantime. :wink:

eis

• Y M I
« Reply #33 on: 6 Apr 2019, 12:00 am »
I've been using this one  -  Neo by Oyaide Elec D + USB Class A Rev2 1.0 m USB Cable. Not sure if I saw it here initially or where anyway $50 @ Amazon. Sounds better than my Furtech Alpha Design Labs Formula 2.

audiobomber

« Reply #34 on: 6 Apr 2019, 02:04 am »
I've been using this one  -  Neo by Oyaide Elec D + USB Class A Rev2 1.0 m USB Cable. Not sure if I saw it here initially or where anyway $50 @ Amazon. Sounds better than my Furtech Alpha Design Labs Formula 2.
That is the one I use and the one I linked in The Absolute Sound review.
https://www.amazon.com/Oyaide-Elec-Class-Rev2-1-0-Cable/dp/B00R2R77JG

Jon L

« Reply #35 on: 6 Apr 2019, 04:24 am »
I have the Wireworld Platinum, Curious, Oyaide Elec D + USB Class A, among many others.  But nothing even comes close to completely bypassing the USB cable altogether with something like these.  It's actually quite scary how much USB cables (any cables for that matter) change the sound when they can be compared to "bypass."

USBadapter by drjlo2, on Flickr

USPCB by drjlo2, on Flickr

uncola

« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2019, 09:10 am »
monoprice has a new monolith usb cable.. solid core data signal conductors and seperately shielded data + power lines.. and nice and cheap with cheap shipping

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33463

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 8 Apr 2019, 11:29 am »
monoprice has a new monolith usb cable.. solid core data signal conductors and seperately shielded data + power lines.. and nice and cheap with cheap shipping

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33463

Save a buck on Ebay with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monolith-USB-Digital-Audio-Cable-USB-A-to-USB-B-1m-22AWG-Oxygen-Free-Copper/372642827714?hash=item56c33e4dc2:g:UhsAAOSwXoJcoppQ

audiobomber

« Reply #38 on: 8 Apr 2019, 01:01 pm »
I have the Wireworld Platinum, Curious, Oyaide Elec D + USB Class A, among many others.  But nothing even comes close to completely bypassing the USB cable altogether with something like these.  It's actually quite scary how much USB cables (any cables for that matter) change the sound when they can be compared to "bypass."
I really wish I could accommodate the Uptone Audio USPCB. My Audiolab DAC does not use Vbus power and sounds better with the 5V pin blocked. Unfortunately there's not sufficient room for the sms-200 and USPCB behind the DAC in my equipment rack.

divertiti

« Reply #39 on: 8 Apr 2019, 05:30 pm »
The SOTM usb cable that comes with the TX-USB Ultra sounds very good and transparent. It shouldn't break the bank either.