Leaving on ST-10 24/7?

Genez

Leaving on ST-10 24/7?
« on: 16 Nov 2018, 07:21 pm »
I think I may have asked bout this before in a different way...

Leaving on my ST-10 24/7?   Will it wear out anything significantly by doing so?   

Not worried about my electric bill since it draws not much when idling. 

Of course, I shut down completely (unplug it) when weather is bad.

I noticed reading recently that some other companies making Class D do not even offer and on and off switch.

I believe the amp seems to sound better when left on all the time.   Just wondering.

Thanks...   Gene

JackD

Re: Leaving on ST-10 24/7?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2018, 06:40 am »
Class D amps are always left on in my FR system whether it be ST-10, Nord or Mivera.  They take forever to get back to normal if you turn them off or even to standby.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2018, 07:42 am »
Jack,
Which Purestream (parts quality) unit do you have and how does it compare to with the other two Class D amps?  Nice having three different choices.

Genez

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2018, 09:02 am »
Class D amps are always left on in my FR system whether it be ST-10, Nord or Mivera.  They take forever to get back to normal if you turn them off or even to standby.

Part of my question was left unanswered..... Will leaving the amp on 24/7 significantly wear the ST-10 out much sooner?  These are not tubes, so I wonder why the standby feature is offered.

I'm thinking that possibly NuPrime knows standby is better than a full shut down for those who think they need to turn off electronics after listening.   I want to be sure and not guessing.

Thanks, Gene

Genez

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2018, 09:14 am »

What's a "FR" system?

seikosha

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2018, 02:33 pm »
Generally speaking, the two things that wear down components in a product are heat and then turn on transients.  Does the amp run excessively hot?  If not, just leave it on all the time.

Genez

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2018, 05:00 pm »
Generally speaking, the two things that wear down components in a product are heat and then turn on transients.  Does the amp run excessively hot?  If not, just leave it on all the time.

The amp only gets warm to touch.... 

Yes.. I have known about the turn on transients. I was told with digital its especially not good. I figure that was why NuPrime created the standby mode.
I have been thinking that it is perhaps for those who have the impulse to turn things off after listening.  That way they avoid the turn on inrush.

But,  maybe not.  If its better to use the standby mode for the amp?   I would like to find a definitive answer if possible.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2018, 03:30 am by Genez »

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2018, 03:52 am »
Gene

FR = Family Room

Rick

I have the basic Purestream with the S55N power cable.  Unlike was claimed it is not the "second coming" of amps Class D or otherwise.  It is a good amp as are the other two and which one you would prefer would to my ears depend on the rest of you equipment especially speakers.  This is the same as the case of which Op Amp you would prefer with the Nord.  I have run all three of them with two versions of the Spatial M3, Nola K.O., Verity Otello and Odyssey Lorelei.  Which amp was "best" depended on which system it was in and what speaker it was being asked to push.  If you told me to pick just one to use with all of the speakers I would pick the ST-10 and suspect moving to the ST-10 mono's would solidify the choice more.  Just my opinion and I know people who have owned at least two of these amps and preferred one of the others.  Because of it's input sensitivity of .75 volts which is half that of the other two amps I find the ST-10 to work best for me with preamps like the DAC-10 or the W4S STP-SE.

Genez

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2018, 04:12 am »
I am using a tube preamp with my ST-10.  A Pro-Ject Pre-Box RS.  Got some Electro Harmonix 6922 Gold Pin (matched) tubes for it and it makes a nice connection to my ST-10 using the balanced inputs.  The ST-10 works great in that mode.  Balanced gives a cleaner, purer sound to my ears

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2018, 04:37 am »
Gene

The ST-10 sounded fine with both the Modwright LS-100 and the PS Audio BHK preamps but with 12-13 db gain in balanced mode for both you don't have a whole lot of flexibility with the volume control.  I would guess your preamp with 18 db gain would be the same unless your speakers are inefficient. With the speakers I tried with other than the Odyssey Lorelei the sensitivity of the other three were 91 db or greater.  But if you are happy with your setup that's all that matters. 

Genez

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2018, 04:56 am »

I get surprisngly good tracking @ 9 O'clock with the ALPs Blue the Pro-Ject uses. 

And, I am not playing very loud at all. 

Speakers - Audience 1+1V2's. 

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2018, 05:19 am »
They are rated at 84 db and may test even lower so that would make the gain of the Project more acceptable as less perceived tube his would be present with them than the speakers I tried it with.  I guess there is a V3 upgrade that can be done on the speaker now. 

Genez

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2018, 06:35 am »

The V2+ upgrade was enough and made me happy.  I am in no hurry for something "better" at this time. 

I was getting some tube hiss with the stock tubes. One tube went bad, which Pro-Ject replaced with two new tubes under warranty.  Just the same I purchased a matched set with gold pins from Upscale Audio. Now there are times I feel my preamp is not turned on. Very quiet to say the least.

toocool4

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2018, 09:09 am »
Personally I would leave it on all the time especially if you say you can hear the difference when it has been on a while.
I use to have NuForce Ref 9SE V2 mono's, I left them on all the time as they produce very little heat.
In fact I never turn most things off in my Hi-Fi, they will always be ready when I want to use them and I listen daily. The Only things I turned off are the turntable as the motor would just keep turning and the tape deck because the capstans are constantly turning if the deck is on.

If you are still not sure about leaving them on all the time, contact NuPrime I find them to be very helpful well they was as NuForce anyway. 

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2018, 12:31 pm »
I answered Gene in email and will post it here.
The StandBy Mode is for EU energy conservation requirement.
Electronics components do wear out over time when it is in use but would take years (my PC and NAS run 24/7 for years).
Power amp has high voltage so if it is under constant playing mode, the wear out would be faster but we don't have any data. In any case it should be a matter of years and not months.
Since we started the new generation of Nuprime amps, there hasn't been any report of failure due to constant on use.