Budget headphone amplifiers

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Budget headphone amplifiers
« on: 11 Nov 2018, 04:34 pm »
Any budget headphone amps?

dB Cooper

Re: Budget headphone amplifiers
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2018, 01:32 am »
The O2- the amp everybody with something more expensive loves to hate- is a worthy contender still.

The Schiit Magni has a reputation for punching well above its weight, as does most Schiit gear.

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2018, 04:42 am »
I have two Electric Avenues amps and I am very happy with them. I use them at home and when travelling.
http://electric-avenues.com/

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2018, 12:21 pm »
I have two Electric Avenues amps and I am very happy with them. I use them at home and when travelling.
http://electric-avenues.com/

Looks good, but he has a disclaimer on his website saying because of health problems no more orders will be taken for a few months.  Do you know if this is still applicable?

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2018, 03:43 pm »
Any budget headphone amps?
There are hundreds of headphone amps that could qualify as "budget", depending on your relative idea of what "budget" means.

So what is your budget? What features are you wanting? What headphones do you have? Balanced or single-ended? Portable or desktop? Solid state, tube, or tube hybrid? Do you want one with a built in DAC? If so, what type of digital inputs do you want?
Are you open to used or only new?

If you answer these then we can give you a better recommendation.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2018, 04:28 pm »
Right off the bat, I need a portable USB-powered one with a DAC. Something to carry when I go on trips.

2gumby2

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2018, 10:00 pm »
Looks good, but he has a disclaimer on his website saying because of health problems no more orders will be taken for a few months.  Do you know if this is still applicable?
I was not aware of his health problems as I purchased my amps a few years ago. Very nice amps if he resumes production.

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2018, 10:05 pm »
The O2- the amp everybody with something more expensive loves to hate- is a worthy contender still.

I dunno. Pretty sure they are people with amps that cost the same or less that hate it too... :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2018, 11:09 pm »
Fiio Q1 looks snazzy for $100. Topping NX2 is $70. Ton of options for portable headamps...

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2018, 03:21 am »
Right off the bat, I need a portable USB-powered one with a DAC. Something to carry when I go on trips.

Dragonfly Black. There are a couple similar with switchable gain (ie, Centrance) that would match up better with IEMs.

The Schiit is out of the picture if portability is required. The O2 is technically portable, but buky and heavy compared to most portables. I have an el cheapo Topping amp (no DAC) which is not bad. The Leckerton DAC/amps look interesting and some have crossfeed.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2018, 03:40 am »
Dragonfly Black. There are a couple similar with switchable gain (ie, Centrance) that would match up better with IEMs.

The Schiit is out of the picture if portability is required. The O2 is technically portable, but buky and heavy compared to most portables. I have an el cheapo Topping amp (no DAC) which is not bad. The Leckerton DAC/amps look interesting and some have crossfeed.

Portability to me just has to be small enough to stick in a computer bag, run on USB, have a DAC, and maybe a volume knob. It doesn't have to be as small as that Dragonfly.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2018, 04:04 am »
You going to be running fullsize cans, IEMs, or some combination thereof?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2018, 04:22 am »
You going to be running fullsize cans, IEMs, or some combination thereof?

Full size cans most of the time.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2018, 05:31 am »

What's the difference between the $100 and the $200 Dragonfly?

Also found the ADL and the Audio Engine.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2018, 02:48 pm »
There's the Chord Mojo https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160620.0 and a few good iFi options https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649467191-ifi-audio-micro-idsd-usb-spdif-dac-amp-headphone-amplifier-no-pp-fee/

If you want something cheaper, there's the Topping NX4 https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-NX4-Amplifier-Compatible-Black/dp/B01N9S3R6A

Very first line in the guidelines:

Here are general guidelines:

- headphone system = $200 max (head-amp and cans)

So logically we'd have around $100 limit on amps, give or take a few dollars.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2018, 07:55 pm »
Very first line in the guidelines:

Here are general guidelines:

- headphone system = $200 max (head-amp and cans)

So logically we'd have around $100 limit on amps, give or take a few dollars.

For my discussion, I am increasing the value. I will go up to $300-$500 for the amp/DAC.