Today I dropped an amp!

JakeJ

Re: Today I dropped an amp!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2018, 05:35 pm »
Great idea, Don!  How doe the Flatform cart do on carpeted floors?  I'm using small frniture dollies I got from Harbor Freight but they are hard to push around on carpet and hard to push period due to the size, works OK for the Pass X350.5 but not so good for the F-112

Don_S

« Reply #21 on: 19 Aug 2018, 07:32 pm »
Great idea, Don!  How doe the Flatform cart do on carpeted floors?  I'm using small frniture dollies I got from Harbor Freight but they are hard to push around on carpet and hard to push period due to the size, works OK for the Pass X350.5 but not so good for the F-112

Works fine for 55 pound amps on padded carpet.  I have not tried it on beasts like the F112. Wheels are 4" x 1" if that helps you compare to the Harbor Freight carts.  I have a HF plastic one with smaller wheels. Works great on tile but not carpet.   Also when you push something with no handle I think some of your weight gets transferred to the load if you have to bend over. The handle on the Magna Cart helps a lot with moving without having to bend over.  Sometimes pulling works better than pushing but I tend to run over my foot.  :duh:

The Magna Cart folds up for storage but every time I put it away, I need it again.  :lol:  I use a 16"x20" cutting board to cover the holes in the platform when the audio equipment I am moving has feet that would slip into the holes.

The Magna Cart was designed and marketed by a member of Audio Circle who passed away. Its a gift that keeps on giving.

randykay

« Reply #22 on: 19 Aug 2018, 07:50 pm »
Sorry to hear your misfortune. I have two Mac 2105. I dread moving them anywhere in the house. I'm
getting up there in age too. Could you suggest a replacement amp that is just as sweet sounding with half the
weight?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #23 on: 19 Aug 2018, 08:57 pm »
I'll keep the Magna Cart in mind, but it would not have prevented my dropping the amp.  I cut a piece of 3/4" particle board to just fit under the amps (I has 2 of these amps), painted them black and then put carpet gliders under them. I can play them from the floor when I want to use both, but in this case I was just using 1 so I had placed it on my equipment shelf.  I have used this method to move amps up to 100 LBs on carpet to great effect, and cheap, too.  I am now thinking of sending this to Bill Thalman, who apparently was the designer.

bacobits1

« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2018, 09:04 pm »
Besides the fact that Thalman was head at CJ, he/they can fix anything!
For a cost, but you'll know it was done right. Highly recommended!

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #25 on: 20 Aug 2018, 03:01 am »
I should be able to lift my hybrid AVA FET Valve 600R amp at 39 pounds as I age into my mid-70s, although I'd probably be inclined to ask a friend to help when I'm beyond that age.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2018, 03:51 am »
Sorry to hear of your incident, good to hear you are OK. I am reminded pretty much daily of the words of that sage philosopher, Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations."   I made the commitment some years back when I recycled my 19" CRT TV, that if I can't lift/move it by myself I can probably live without it.

Hope the repairs go well & aren't too expensive. Even though it has a handle & wheels, I use a Magna Cart under my emergency genset. Rolls from the garage across the yard to the house pretty easily. John created a quality product.

utrak1

« Reply #27 on: 22 Aug 2018, 11:50 am »
I am very sorry to hear about your amp.  I’m in a similar boat in that I’m over 60 and I have a pair of ASL DT 200 mono-blocks that weigh 65 pounds each.  I bought a small carpeted dolly for $12 that I put them on when I need to move them.  Another problem is that they are upstairs.  I moved them up there over 3 years ago.  I actually did a light workout for 2 months to get in good enough shape to carry them up the stairs.

I have damaged equipment before too!  I have a sound bar that extends past the ends of my TV stand on each side.  I crawled under it one day to look at one of my Dodd tube mono blocks and knocked it off on the way out and it fell and hit both mono blocks!  Fortunately, the Dodds are solidly built with ceramic tube sockets so all it cost me was a couple of EL34s.

I hope that your repairs go well.

jsm71

« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2018, 06:28 pm »
Like many here I've wrestled with weighty gear including a McIntosh 100 lb amp and an already mentioned unbalanced tube amp with weight at the back due to the transformers.

Both were too much work to get into a rack.  I'm so happy now that I've turned 65 to now run with a Linear Tube Audio ZOTL40 amp.  The tube amp uses David Berning's design and weighs less than 10 lbs.  It's sound was the real reason I bought it, but easy handling is a bonus.  I'm too old for weight lifting.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:25 pm »
A happy ending to this incident.  Apparently dropping it harmed nothing except the base of one tube.  In correspondence with Bill Thalmann he mentioned that normally the only thing that would blow the fuse in question was tube arcing.  So I switched the 2 tubes in that channel to another channel, one at a time. Bam!  the second tube caused the fuse to blow so that tube got pitched and now both amps sound great.  I ordered a matched octet of Tung Sol KT-120 tubes which are playing now and sound very nice.  I am running the amps bridged, which should be offering over 150 watts of tube beauty to each of my 93 dB efficient Spatial Audio M3TM speakers.  BTW, Bill Thalmann can completely upgrade these amps with parts to replace those dying from age and a few improvement to various circuits, but at a cost of $1400 is too spendy for me since each amp has cost only abt $1100, new tubes and all.  I guess if I decide these amps are exactly what I want forever I may consider it (and forever gets shorter every year).  Now I just need to never try to move one of these when it is still hot.  And thanks to everyone who chimed in here.  Nice to know I am not alone in my aging stupidity.

sfox7076

« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2018, 09:34 pm »
Yeah.  Fuses blowing in a basic tube amp is usually 1) capacitors that have failed, 2) tube failure (so the tube runs away and draws a ton of current, blowing the fuse as more current goes through the primary, or 3) something moving inside and causing a short...  If you have a sand front end, things are a little harder to work out.  I had an amp that would blow bias resistors instead of fuses.  Oh well...