Pi Peregrination 2017 C&C Tour and Contest

JakeJ

Re: Pi Peregrination 2017 C&C Tour and Contest
« Reply #40 on: 21 Apr 2017, 02:39 am »
Thanks for the update!  Hope your bro is OK and recovers soon.

As my plate is full with moving please take your time along with the other participants.  :thumb:

Jake

GentleBender

« Reply #41 on: 21 Apr 2017, 09:55 am »
Thanks JakeJ and charmerci for the support. My brother was released from the hospital yesterday.  :D Should be able to spend some time with it this weekend to try a few things and find what differences between the Mac and this affordable Pi are.

JohnR

« Reply #42 on: 21 Apr 2017, 02:45 pm »
Hey, glad your brother is OK.

The problem with Wifi apart from the initial setup is that it's much less reliable (for audio streaming) than a wired network. I guess I was worried that people might end up evaluating their Wifi network instead of the unit and/or consume pages trying to sort it out.

[Edit] (And there, I am assuming that it's been set up to stream audio over the network, which is not the case if you plug in a USB stick.)

Plus, I had already plugged it all together with a RPi 2 (which doesn't have onboard Wifi) :D

Most USB Wifi dongles will/should work if you want to try it. Just be aware that if you get dropouts, the first place you want to start looking is your network channel/interference from neighbours etc.

GentleBender

« Reply #43 on: 21 Apr 2017, 03:34 pm »
After listening to the Peregrination>iTube 2>Odyssey Cyclops configuration I decided to add the Sony UDA-1 back into the chain. It definitely improved the sound to my ears. That would make it Peregrination>Sony UDA-1 DAC>iTube 2>Odyssey Cyclops. I look forward to checking out other options and listening to it long enough to have a somewhat knowledgeable review.

As of now, it seems to hit a pretty sweet price point. It sounds better than my 2011 SSD Mac Mini as stated in the quick write up plugged directly into my Odyssey Cyclops. Without the Piano DAC and Kali reclocker board the Pi is so cheap you could afford to grab an affordable USB DAC with the savings you get from not spending the money on a Mac. This is assuming you are only purchasing the Pi to do audio.

JakeJ

« Reply #44 on: 21 Apr 2017, 11:22 pm »
Took a look at your system.  Nice kit there Mister Bender.  If you were in 300 mile radius of the general Pacific NW I'd arm wrestle you for an hour in the sweet spot!  Just kidding, however I would cherish a listen to just about any Vapor Audio speaker set.

Keep posting your experience with the Peregrination stack.  Good reading!

Jake

GentleBender

« Reply #45 on: 22 Apr 2017, 09:58 pm »
Thanks JakeJ! :) I've been very fortunate with gear purchases. Everything plays very well together, no hum, hiss or any other of the multitude of gremlins in the mix here. If you ever make it to this coast let me know.

Just finished installing BubbleUPnP Server on my Mac Mini and things could't be much simpler. Streaming Tidal now from the LUMIN app off my iPad Pro, free and easy to use. I've wanted a Tidal remote and now I have one! That is one of the things I miss from Spotify along with the personalized playlists that are awesome. Now I hope Tidal figures that out soon.

I am really digging this little Pi device. :thumb: Especially helpful if your computer is not close to your gear. I'd pick up a regular Pi along with the Linear power supply and a USB DAC to assemble a digital system. One that has convenience, great sound and is totally upgradable.

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 24 Apr 2017, 08:57 am »
Great! Glad you got the network streaming going  :thumb: Yep, just a Pi with USB output to a DAC is a great solution, it will often also allow DSD (if the DAC does it).

GentleBender

« Reply #47 on: 24 Apr 2017, 10:00 am »
Thanks the putting this together JohnR. I will give DSD a shot tonight. If I have time, I will play a couple songs on the Pi then switch over to the Mac Mini to listen for any differences between the two.

GentleBender

« Reply #48 on: 26 Apr 2017, 12:45 am »
I don't think this little Pi has quite enough power to decode DSD files. Not quite sure what the problem was, but it may have been the wireless network that the Mac Mini uses. I was too lazy to put them on a USB key to test. :|

I would need even more time with this to determine if I can hear a difference between the Pi and the Mac Mini. It may just be me, but they both sound good to me. Time to pack this little guy up and ship it to the next reviewer. I will update my findings later as time allows.

JohnR

« Reply #49 on: 26 Apr 2017, 07:17 am »
Oh, it should work fine (DSD) assuming you are using USB DAC. (on board analog doesn't work with DSD) There's a setting to accept DoP, I don't remember where I left it. Wifi does need to have fairly good connection to work tho.

Anyway, glad you found it interesting :)

charmerci

« Reply #50 on: 2 May 2017, 05:32 pm »
I received it yesterday.

But frankly, I think I'll just pass it on to the next person. (Though Wayne1 is gone from the 5th to the 12th.)

First I have to buy a plug wire, then I have to buy an ethernet cable. (None lying around.) Then I have to download a bunch of programs - that I'll probably never use. (Can't download rune, I don't use Edge plus I already have JRiver.) I have no tablet and if I'm just going to use the laptop, so I don't see why it would be any better than Jriver into the ODAC that I already have.

Didn't think it would be this complex and time consuming.

Sorry.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #51 on: 2 May 2017, 11:57 pm »
I'm seeing this device come my way sooner than I had expected, I have major back surgery this Friday and really don't know how long I will be down and out. I don't know if it makes since to change up the order or I should just not do this tour. I would like to but I don't want to mess up everyone else and my life is definitely up in the air right now. 

JakeJ

« Reply #52 on: 3 May 2017, 12:50 am »
So I went back through the thread and did not find a list of names for the order in which the Pi would take and therefore do not know where I am in that order.  I am still trying to finish up moving and have two good weeks of working after work and on weekends.

Letitroll98 could you post the list and give us some idea of when this is going to arrive?

charmerci

« Reply #53 on: 3 May 2017, 12:59 am »
So I went back through the thread and did not find a list of names for the order in which the Pi would take and therefore do not know where I am in that order.  I am still trying to finish up moving and have two good weeks of working after work and on weekends.

Letitroll98 could you post the list and give us some idea of when this is going to arrive?

It's in post #21- p.2

natureboy

GentleBender
charmerci
Wayne1
gregfisk
SFDude
JakeJ
LesterSleepsIn

I was going to send it to Wayne but he's not around the 5th-12th, greg's going to so maybe I send it to SFDude like originally planned?

JakeJ

« Reply #54 on: 3 May 2017, 01:48 am »
Oops...must've scrolled too fast.  Thanks, chamerci.

SFDude

« Reply #55 on: 3 May 2017, 04:29 am »
Well, good thing I'm around most of the time to fiddle and test this thing out! Out for work trip next week Wed-Fri but otherwise, I should be able to sneak time in to fiddle and set this up.

Sorry to hear that other folks had LIFE happen. If Letitroll98 and JohnR are ok with changing the order up a little, and we provide them updated info on the whereabouts of this PI streamer, hopefully this works and everyone can still partake in the tour.

I wish nothing but positive outcomes and vibes for everyone being caught busy.  :thumb:

-dave

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #56 on: 3 May 2017, 09:17 am »
Okay, the order has been changed, moving SFDude up in to 4th.

natureboy
GentleBender
charmerci
SFDude
Wayne1
gregfisk
JakeJ
LesterSleepsIn

JakeJ

« Reply #57 on: 3 May 2017, 12:10 pm »
Great!  That works well for me and much thanks for keeping us posted.

charmerci

« Reply #58 on: 3 May 2017, 05:21 pm »
Well, good thing I'm around most of the time to fiddle and test this thing out! Out for work trip next week Wed-Fri but otherwise, I should be able to sneak time in to fiddle and set this up.

Sorry to hear that other folks had LIFE happen. If Letitroll98 and JohnR are ok with changing the order up a little, and we provide them updated info on the whereabouts of this PI streamer, hopefully this works and everyone can still partake in the tour.

I wish nothing but positive outcomes and vibes for everyone being caught busy.  :thumb:

-dave

+1

Hope all goes well for Greg this Friday!

Wayne1

« Reply #59 on: 13 May 2017, 02:39 pm »
I just am letting folks know I am back in town. I am very much looking forward to trying out the Pi stack as a possible replacement for my SB Touch.
Thanks to John and Letitroll98 for putting this tour together.