OK I'll do it

shooter

OK I'll do it
« on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:20 pm »
I can host the first jam this Sunday Sept 26, I have a very large open space, can set up multiple systems in different spots in the same room. Gears that I have available are home made ESL, semiretired Apogee Duetta II, Amps are self made 120w tube monos, ASL 805 explorers, Berning ZH270, Yamaha AV receiver, Pre amp are 1st generation S&B TVC, Rowland Coherence I, unmodified Toshiba 3960 DVD player, PS lambda transport, Curcio DAC, Aragon DAC etc. I am located near Downtown Dallas in the industrial area, Anyone interested.

brj

Re: OK I'll do it
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 06:29 pm »
Quote from: shooter
I can host the first jam this Sunday Sept 26, I have a very large open space, can set up multiple systems in different spots in the same room.

Thanks for volunteering, shooter!

As host, is there a specific type of component that you would like to taylor a shootout around?

Is there anything in particular that you would like people to bring - either in terms of shootout or support components (cabling, etc.) or more prosaic items (chairs, munchies, etc.)?

Any thoughts on a time?

Gears that I have available are home made ESL, semiretired Apogee Duetta II, Amps are self made 120w tube monos, ASL 805 explorers, Berning ZH270, Yamaha AV receiver, Pre amp are 1st generation S&B TVC, Rowland Coherence I, unmodified Toshiba 3960 DVD player, PS lambda transport, Curcio DAC, Aragon DAC etc.

Gee, is that all? :lol:

I am located near Downtown Dallas in the industrial area , Anyone interested.

Count me in - and thanks again!

kyyuan

OK I'll do it
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2004, 08:19 pm »
Shooter...that's great.

Definitely count me in for a potential gathering as I'll need to check my schedule.  I live in the Dallas downtown area, as well.

Ken

shooter

OK I'll do it
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2004, 08:28 pm »
I am open for suggestions, some other speakers and amps and other gear would be great,  cable would definitely help, I am quite lacking in that department, CD's definitely, the space is very large no worry about side wall reflections, but I would need to do some floor treatment since it is concrete, No problem with multiple set ups if someone wants to bring their stuff, I have plenty of chairs and rolling tables too, extra munchies would be nice, my ESL has very narrow sweetspot so we will have to play musical chair, BTW I forgot to mention the Muse 18 sub too, I will have to dust off some of the gear, since most are on the shelf. I am open on time, what do you all think?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
OK I'll do it
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:00 pm »
count me in. how about b4 noon? i can bring a pair of aad c200 bookshelfs. they make a great gift or starter pair. i might even get up enough strength to bring my denon integrated (53lbs.) i can also breing some chips and refreshments.

shooter

OK I'll do it
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:58 pm »
Well, before noon is Ok with me, but I am in an industrial area, finding descent food for lunch from around on Sunday is a bit challenging, any ideas?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
OK I'll do it
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2004, 12:17 am »
there's always churches or kfc.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Hmmm...
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2004, 03:55 pm »
Sounds like you guys better focus on some room treatment more than anything.

Xi-Trum

OK I'll do it
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:08 pm »
Sounds great!

As for room treatment, I've build a couple of portable floor-standing acoustic (2x6) panels.  They're not much to look at.  But we can try them out.

I'll check my schedule and let you guys know...

brj

Re: Hmmm...
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:33 pm »
Quote from: Danny

Does that imply that you can't join us Danny?  I realize that you would probably have the longest drive, but it would be great if you could make it.

shooter

OK I'll do it
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:58 pm »
I want to mention the room is about 45' X70', the ceiling is well damp with insulation, I can roll some rugs out on the floor. I always have dipoles and this is my work space not my home.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
OK I'll do it
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2004, 05:38 pm »
Does that imply that you can't join us Danny?

No, just an observation.

Oddly enough, I do not have a soccer game that day and will be free to come.

Won't be able to leave here until 1:00 though (church on Sunday) and I am two hours away. That would limit my time with you some if I can go.

I am considering it.

kyyuan

OK I'll do it
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2004, 05:41 pm »
Sunday afternoon should work for me (after 12:00 pm) as long as I'm not in any kind of pain.

I was in a car accident last night just SE of downtown Dallas.  It was a hit-n-run situation as I t-boned a motorist who ran a stop sign.  He/she just took off.  My car is now semi-totaled and inoperable.  Oh well....

I look forward to meeting you all.

Ken

cryoparts

How Late?
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2004, 11:16 pm »
Well, before noon is Ok with me, but I am in an industrial area, finding descent food for lunch from around on Sunday is a bit challenging, any ideas?

How late do you suppose the gathering will go?  I have most of my day tied up, but would love to try and attend for an hour or so.

shooter

OK I'll do it
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:07 am »
What is the best time for everyone? Should we start at 12.30pm and ends around by 5.30 or 6.00? since If Danny comes he won't make it till 3pm, it would be nice if he can make.
I want to give a little more background on my ESL speakers, they are built from the ER audio ELS3 kit from Australia, they use the very thin 3.8 micron film, they are extremely detail and fast, would like to get others opinion on them.
Those who wish to come please shoot me a private message, I'll give out my address in the reply.
Thanks everyone

brj

OK I'll do it
« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:50 am »
I have some things I need to do on Sunday, but I can move them around at will, so I can meet anytime that it's convenient.  As for food, we can always bring things with us, whether munchies or something more substantial.

Do we have anyone bringing any gear to compare?

shooter

OK I'll do it
« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2004, 03:31 am »
Too much trouble to bring heavy gear? how about bring some light weight like CDP or DAC! Come on guys!

kyyuan

OK I'll do it
« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2004, 03:53 am »
Too much trouble to bring heavy gear? how about bring some light weight like CDP or DAC! Come on guys!

I can bring cables  (Poiema) and/or my Jolida CDP.  I think my Superslim ribbon hybrid speakers from Australia would be a bit big and heavy.

Ken

3moons

Wow! Two Dallas clubs
« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:40 pm »
Hello folks, I do hope to make the meeting. Thanks Ka for the heads up. It's funny that two Dallas audio clubs have formed at about the same time. I started ours as a spinoff of the Texas Bottlehead DIY guys. We plan to have meetings every 2 to 6 weeks in the Dallas area. I'm sure both clubs can work and grow, learn and enjoy the music. Most of our members build speakers and/or tube audio gear. This would include at least one guy who has built one of Danny's speaker kits. Our club link is here... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dallasaudioclub/  We've had six meeting since July and photos of meetings are on the group.

jim...

3moons

Re: Hmmm...
« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:44 pm »
Quote from: Danny

Hi Danny, Audiophiles make good sound absorbers (room treatment) so the more who make the meeting, the better the sound. Right? jim...