Are Headphones the Future of Hi-End Audio??

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Are Headphones the Future of Hi-End Audio??
« on: 15 Nov 2013, 11:01 pm »
Post here everything to it happen, especially pressure on manufacturers, info related on good/bad headphones, opinions etc;
Thanks

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Are Headphones the Future of Hi-End Audio??
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2013, 06:32 pm »
Headphones always been here, but in the latest years there has been a significant increase of popularity among audio enthusiasts. Headphone rigs and computer audio is the new generation.

Most popular Hifi manufacturers are introducing headphone amps/dac's and headphones.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2013, 06:36 pm »
Even Oppo Digital is getting on the headphone bandwagon.....with both high end cans and an amp!

Alex

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2013, 08:03 pm »
If Oppo headphones and amplifier is any indication of their BluRay players and other products bring them to the party.

http://www.oppodigital.com/future/

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2013, 08:27 pm »
The future of Hi-end audio, NO.  Headphones having their own hi-end realm within the audio world, YES, and already there.

soundbitten1

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2013, 08:38 pm »
Not my future. I can listen comfortably about an hour on headphones then I have to switch to speakers.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:40 am »
Not my future. I can listen comfortably about an hour on headphones then I have to switch to speakers.

That's how I was when I first started up with headphones. And there are still some that I can't tolerate for long...but thankfully others that almost allow me to feel MORE comfortable when they're on vs when they're not haha.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2013, 02:13 am »
I get the impression that the majority of head phone sales are to people in their teens to perhaps their 30s who are more mobile and probably live in apartments.
When they settle down and get places of their own I'd think that the ones who stick with audio will go with stereo systems to compliment their existing headphone set ups.
I've always had both and each type (headphones and speakers) certainly have their appeal.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2013, 02:22 am »
Bingoroonie

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:10 am »
The reason I got headphones was because I wanted to see for myself how good this technology has advanced.....I never thought I would enjoy them as much as my main 2 ch setup...but to my surprise I wound up with 6 sets and many hours of really enjoying music and the sound.

Yes they are not like my floor standing speakers....but they are really very very good in their own right...

Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:13 am »
A bigger part than in the past, given the huge increase in portable, headphone oriented devices, but not "the" future.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:23 am »
Back in 1961 when I was 17 years old and newly into audio, I acquired my first system which included a Thorens TD124 turntable, a Kenwood tube receiver, and a pair of AKG headphones (all acquired used in a swap). It opened my ears and mind to recorded music and high end audio. When I could afford speakers, I added them. Over the years, many better speakers followed and are still my preference. Today, I own the finest electrostatic speakers that exist. I would never choose head phones over speakers unless conditions necessitated it. Nonetheless, headphones played a major roll in my journey. There are reasons to believe this will also happen with the coming generations.

BTW, I love my iPod/Shure E5 canal phones combo for on the trail, air travel etc.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013, 11:51 pm by MtnHam »

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2013, 04:31 am »
oh man, I never get tired of looking at those SoundLabs...I want to hear them!!!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2013, 04:28 pm »
This shop retail the LCD3 for 2,880 brand new, but appear a third partie novice vendor offer it for $5K!!
Oh come on...
http://www.amazon.com/Audeze-Lcd-3/dp/B00BF9G34M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384705017&sr=1-1&keywords=audeze+lcd3

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2013, 11:46 pm »
As you said a over $1K phones looks cheap.
This your post in other topic also impress me much.
How I will find if I prefer the Jacuzzi or the phones is a problem. :scratch:
Headphones have the best sound because it's right off the amp - no room smearing of highs, no room smearing of bass, etc. The loudspeaker experience isn't so much about audio anyway, it's about getting the sonic equivalent of a jacuzzi experience. Let those who want to experience the 'feel' of music enjoy what they like - who cares anyway? The world is passing those people by.

milford3

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:35 am »
A 1k set of headphones equals 10k of speaker.  Headphones are a bargain equal to none.

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2013, 01:12 am »
If you aren't bothered by the different "sound staging" from cans (some are, some aren't, I'm not) (another big thread on that), then the lower distortion and freedom from room and crossover artifacts pays off big time in SQ. I have heard loudspeakers more than 10 times what my HD650s cost that couldn't touch them. So whatever the "multiplier" would be, I agree that cans use your audio dollar much more efficiently than speakers, and also "keep the peace" when housemates don't want to listen to the same thing you do.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2013, 01:37 am »
You guys are convincing me. :o

FireGuy

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2013, 01:45 am »
A plus for cans... I've found headphones to much more forgiving on bad source material.  Where my Axiom "revealing"  loudspeakers can sound like a pair of old Sound Designs on some recordings, my Beyers and Senns typically abate those rough edges and harshness.  I can't explain how they do it.  Cans are personal, rewarding and enjoyable.  I don't see them dethroning the 2C crowd but mfgr's have in their sights growth in this market and exploitation is well underway.

Chazro

« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:07 am »
While I'll always favor my main rig I've always owned good cans.  Hell, I'm listening to my 10 yr old Sennheiser HD600's as I type (Chucho Valdes - Border Free - amazing record!).  But recently I've dived head 1st into quality portable audio!  Got a set of UE TF10 IEM's, bought a custom made HPL cable for them, a new 160 GB Ipod classic, a Fiio E12 portable amp (thing's amazing, makes the IEM's sing AND easily drives the HD600's!), plus a Fiio L9 LOD (bypasses the Ipod's amp/dac, it's essential!;).  I've even become a regular over at Head-fi!  I'll admit to doing the majority of my listening thru my new toys this past month!  But knowing myself, I know this is just a phase!  Tellyawhat, the enthusiasm and activity over at Head-fi is infectious!  It very well may be the future of the hobby!