Is the 20wpc Decware Torii Jr too much for Super Alnico High Output XRS?

doggie

I am using a Linear Tube Audio Ultralinear amp at 20 watts with my Alnico HO towers and it works great.

I used a 100w Class D amp with my previous single driver Super Alnicos. Worked great.

I would contact Decware directly to get accurate information about the tube biasing.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
I would contact Decware directly to get accurate information about the tube biasing.

From the owners manual:

YOU MUST SET BIAS EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE THE OUTPUT TUBES.  Output tubes should always be purchased and changed in matched quads ONLY.   Do not run matched pairs in the amplifier, only run matched quads.  Alternate tubes may be used in this amplifier such as 6L6, KT77, KT66, 7027.  All of these tubes however will require considerable adjustment to the bias screw when compared to EL34. !When the amplifier is biased properly, you may turn it off and re-install the input tubes.

BTW, If you’re new to biasing tube amplifiers, you may not realize that many tube amplifiers require you to repeat this process for EACH output tube and will have 4 bias adjustment screws.  This might seem cool at first, however once you have the first tube set to where you want it, it changes as you adjust the second tube at which point you’ll have to re-adjust the setting for the first tube, and then re-adjust the second tube again... you get the idea.  In the TORII JR, all 4 tubes will bias exactly the same provided you have a matched quad, so setting the bias typically takes under 1 minute.

:shake:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
From the owners manual:

YOU MUST SET BIAS EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE THE OUTPUT TUBES.  Output tubes should always be purchased and changed in matched quads ONLY.   Do not run matched pairs in the amplifier, only run matched quads.  Alternate tubes may be used in this amplifier such as 6L6, KT77, KT66, 7027.  All of these tubes however will require considerable adjustment to the bias screw when compared to EL34. !When the amplifier is biased properly, you may turn it off and re-install the input tubes.

BTW, If you’re new to biasing tube amplifiers, you may not realize that many tube amplifiers require you to repeat this process for EACH output tube and will have 4 bias adjustment screws.  This might seem cool at first, however once you have the first tube set to where you want it, it changes as you adjust the second tube at which point you’ll have to re-adjust the setting for the first tube, and then re-adjust the second tube again... you get the idea.  In the TORII JR, all 4 tubes will bias exactly the same provided you have a matched quad, so setting the bias typically takes under 1 minute.

:shake:
The money waste is clear, if an EL34 dead or go senile, the owner will have to buy another four matched tubes, which may not be easy find four properly matched EL34, mainly NOS tubes.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Once upon a time, I had a CJ Premiere 11A.  Four output tubes all individually biased.  Easy as pie.  Yes, had to go back to the first one or two done for last tweak after doing the last two.  No biggie.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
I think most get a feel for it after a few times of adjusting; never had any problem with the amps that I have owned.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

nature boy

Doggie,

The answer to your question is no. I use the more powerful Decware Mystery amp with Omega SAHO XRS speakers. The combination is outstanding.

NB

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Sorry I posted in a 7 month old thread to point out the new improved JR II because there was discussion here of the unfriendly bias design of the original.