Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: 12 Apr 2006, 11:54 pm

Salk HT3's: Bright, Neutral, or Warm?

texas steve

« Reply #40 on: 16 Apr 2006, 09:12 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Quote from: avahifi
50% bright rating out there?  Gee, more bright electronics out there than I would have expected.

Frank Van Alstine

I wonder how many people answering actually own or have extensively listened to the HT3's?

I know Jim is busy these days, but I don't think he has sold around 40 pairs.

George

As one who NOW owns a pair of HT3s and HTC (abet only for 1 week), I would say they are very neutral and detailed.  They will absolutely tell you when the recording is not a good one.   Many Cd's that I used to listen to now sound poor - but WOW the good ones are really GREAT.

I will update my thoughts more with pictures under "Steve's Speakers Updated" thread.  

Jim, GREAT detail reply on describing your speakers!

pugs

« Reply #41 on: 17 Apr 2006, 11:42 pm »
Quote from: DSK
Pugs,

Are you playing the music that sounds good on the Salks as loudly as the Metallica etc?

The reason I ask is this ... until you get 200 or 300 hours up on those BlackGates they will not "open up" and provide ultimate separation or smoothness. This will be less evident on less 'busy' music (such as acoustic, jazz, blues etc) but will add harshness and congestion on heavy and raw stuff like heavy metal etc. Also, because we tend to relax to blues, smooth jazz etc, but rock out to heavy metal etc, w ...

I have been experimenting with playing all music at all levels.  When the music gets busy, that's when things begin to sound more harsh and congested.  Things have improved quite a bit this week.  I think you are right about the Blackgates.  My poorly recorded music is sounding better and better.  I have also experimented with my acousical treatments and have a pretty good balance now.  The next step is to get some acousic foam to absorb some of the high frequency energy.  Any recommendations?

I was in the car with the kids last night when my wife called from home.  She was very excited about the speakers.  She said something like "The speakers sound f---ing amazing. I want ten more"  She said she was dancing all around the house.  She had a few glasses of wine in her, but I was still happy to know that she was enjoying the system.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #42 on: 18 Apr 2006, 12:30 am »
The HT3s sound so good that my best gal Friday said, "I have to have a set of these" upon first seeing them when coming into the lab after they had been set up, and that was even before they had been turned on for her.

Jim is working on some pretty stupendeous wood for her with a lot of very light color and detailed graining.

Frank

fredgarvin

bright
« Reply #43 on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:00 am »
I'd say the terminology used in the poll contributes negativity. What I mean by this is  most Salk owners, I would expect, have a preferance for neutral, resolving speakers with detail. So they would answer "neutral" in the poll. "Bright" is a negative term for "neutral" to people with these preferance. Those of us who prefer detail etc. often refer to "warm" speakers as Rolled-off or "soft". Negative terms to those who prefer that sound. They prefer the term "warm". It's like SS versus tubes, its a terminology war, often enough. It would be hard to imagine anyone calling Salk warm. But easy to see those who like a rolled-of voicing calling them bright. It's all in the details. :D

jermmd

« Reply #44 on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:38 am »
Quote from: pugs
 The next step is to get some acousic foam to absorb some of the high frequency energy.  Any recommendations?

I use Foambymail under velvet curtains. This should work.

Joe

pugs

« Reply #45 on: 21 Apr 2006, 02:04 am »
I would like to change my vote from bright to neutral.  A week of break in of both the HT3's and Squeezebox did wonders.  Good recordings sound incredible and bad recordings sound pretty good.  I no longer miss "warm" sounding speakers.  The HT3's are the best speakers I have ever heard.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #46 on: 21 Apr 2006, 02:07 am »
Glad things are working out.

I was very happy with my system till I heard my friend's yesterday.   :cry:

George

95bcwh

« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2006, 03:14 am »
Quote from: zybar
Glad things are working out.

I was very happy with my system till I heard my friend's yesterday.   :cry:

George

What system does your friend own? How much do all his gears cost?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2006, 03:18 am »
Quote from: 95bcwh
What system does your friend own? How much do all his gears cost?

I just posted about it here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27489.msg244582#244582

As for cost...let's just say it will leave a serious dent in your bank account.

George

texas steve

« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2006, 12:34 pm »
I would like to change my vote from bright to neutral.  A week of break in of both the HT3's and Squeezebox did wonders.  Good recordings sound incredible and bad recordings sound pretty good.  I no longer miss "warm" sounding speakers.  The HT3's are the best speakers I have ever heard.

I notice mine breaking in as well. Ill bet in the next couple of weeks it will be absloutly perfect.

DSK

« Reply #50 on: 21 Apr 2006, 01:23 pm »

:wink:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2006, 04:36 pm »
My highly modified B&W 801 speakers are now sounding like full range mud in comparison to the HT3s.

Frank Van Alstine

texas steve

« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2006, 04:56 pm »
My highly modified B&W 801 speakers are now sounding like full range mud in comparison to the HT3s.

Frank Van Alstine

do I take this to mean your HT3 sound that much better than the 801s?!!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2006, 07:21 pm »
Yup!  Frank

texas steve

« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:45 pm »
Yup!  Frank

Yep,, I have to agree the HT3s are realy great sounding.  Perhaps we should have a "chant".  Do you remember the old song "I want my MTV"???

Let chang it to "I want my HT3s!!!!

warnerwh

« Reply #55 on: 28 Apr 2006, 02:53 am »
I'd like to add my .02 cents worth.  I've not heard the Salk's but suspect that they're well designed and neither bright or warm enough to be an issue.

On the other hand most people's problems with brightness or warmth can be attributed to their speaker/listener position and room acoustics.  This assumes a quality recording of course.

The type of music you listen to is hard to listen to on a revealing system in my opinion. I actually listen to my rock cd's on my vintage system with Dynaco A 25's for speakers.  The lack of dynamics, harshness and over processed recordings are not easy for me to enjoy on my main system and I suspect any highly revealing system.

An excellent solution in my opinion is to get a hybrid power amp. The AVA hybrids are outstanding making any SS amp I've heard seem second rate. These are very smooth and will not highlight the bad part of poorly recording music.  A pure SS amp imo adds some transistor sound unless you spend ALOT.  A tube preamp will also help but in my very limited experience you lose bass quality.

It's not the speakers is the bottom line. Work with some quality recordings and get your speaker/listener position tweaked to the best balanced with several good recordings.  Try rearranging room treatments. I've found this to have more of an effect than I would have expected and just did it out of curiosity.  Very certainly make sure the first reflection points are treated. Hope this helps.