Titan rattling when watch some movies

dl60

« on: 11 Aug 2005, 02:05 pm »
When playing music, my Titan sounds great, but when watch movies with heavy explosive sound scene, the driver makes rattling noise. Is this normal for Titan(old version), or something was wrong? I have checked everything, seems all fine, no cracks or lose parts inside out.

Lkdog

« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2005, 09:18 pm »
No. Does not sound normal to me and I have the older Titan and use for HT/2 Channel.

Have you removed the driver to see if something is rattling around?

dl60

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2005, 11:58 pm »
Yes, I have taken the driver out, there is no visible problems, may be something is wrong, I just can't see it. I have contacted ACI, Brenda at ACI thinks "those certain LF effects in the movies are pushing the Titan to it's limit." She said the Titan II has improved amp and driver, will not have this problem. If you have the movie Hitch, you can try it, at the end of movie, especially when playing credits, the music had a very heavy bass, Titan rattled badly, I have to lowered the receiver's subwoofer's volume to avoiding any damage.

dl60

Correction
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2005, 12:32 am »
Sorry, the movie is not Hitch, that is Constantine.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2005, 01:47 am »
I'm not familiar with that movie . . .  Brenda's right,  some movies do have extreme LF effects that can make a sub rattle. You won't hurt the Titan, the protection circuitry will take care of that. First thing to make sure is that the Titan is calibrated for flat LF response. Since this is an older sub, has it always done this or did it just start?

dl60

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2005, 01:33 am »
I have recalibrated Titan, seems solved the problem. Thank you for the suggestion.

Lkdog

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2005, 04:00 am »
dl60-

Glad you got it solved. I should have mentioned that my Input Level on the Titan in my setup is pretty low-only a hair over the second marking of the five markings.
Maybe I never got any rattle since my level is so low.
Wonderful sub.

dl60

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2005, 06:49 am »
Lkdog:

My sub is about 18' away from listening seat, if the volume too low, it won't be heard. I have lowerd receiver's sub volume, but crancked up a bit on sub, the rattling is gone. Thank you for your input. It is a wonderful sub, very musical.

Lkdog

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2005, 06:41 pm »
I am about 13 feet from the sub and it is placed near the sidewall and about four feet into the room from the backwall.
I know that placement of it took a bit of time and the loudness was more pronounced the closer to the back wall.
I have not used any special CD's or anything, just have it where it seems to work best.
Unit is one of the absolute best deals in audio, period IMHO.
I got mine used for about $550 a few years ago. I still see them on Audiogon for $5-600 which is a steal.