Washington Commanders

Tom Bombadil

Re: Washington Commanders
« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:03 am »
Almost no one likes the new name of a team.  Commanders isn't offensive, is pro-military and will likely grow on people.

Marquette became the Golden Eagles
St Johns became the Red Storm
Miami University became the Redhawks
Seattle University also became the Redhawks
U-Mass became the Minutemen
Dartmouth became the Big Green
Louisiana-Monroe became the War Hawks

Redhawks wasn't much of an option for Washington FT as they would have had multiple copyright issues. 

Probably just a matter of time before changes come to the Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs. 

PETA wants the Green Bay Packers to change because the name comes from the meat packing industry.

Markwatkiss

« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2022, 02:19 pm »
Washington Misogynists would be my pick.

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2022, 02:38 pm »

Probably just a matter of time before changes come to the Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs. 

PETA wants the Green Bay Packers to change because the name comes from the meat packing industry.

This PC thing is so Effed-up! PETA? Really? No one gives a S$!T about their demands! People Eating Tasty Animals PETA

Emil

« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2022, 03:05 pm »
Almost no one likes the new name of a team.  Commanders isn't offensive, is pro-military and will likely grow on people.

Except for the anti-military, toxic masculinity crowd

I understand the term "Redskin" was and can be used a s a pejorative but Chiefs? Braves?

If the Native American community finds the names offensive change it but are they offended?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/new-poll-finds-that-9-in-10-native-americans-not-offended-by-redskins-name/

In the age of wokeness
https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

If the polls are correct, change the names and be done with it.

Any Greeks or individuals of Greek ancestry here?
What are your thoughts about the USC Trojans or Michigan State Spartans?
Do you feel

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #24 on: 4 Feb 2022, 04:05 pm »
How long will it be before the head coach gets called the "Commander in Chief"???????

Gene

genjamon

« Reply #25 on: 4 Feb 2022, 04:30 pm »
Not sure what's gonna happen with the Chiefs or Braves names, but one could make an argument they're different than the Redskins.  Redskins is a racist derogatory term created by expansionist immigrants to denigrate indigenous people of a wide variety of tribes.  Chiefs and Braves are English words describing the status of individuals within the social structures of at least some tribes, and are not necessarily racist or derogatory in and of themselves (to my knowledge - and I'd be curious if they have racist or derogatory origins).  Now, the mascots could be another story - celebrating stereotypical tropes.  So the messaging around the Chiefs and Braves can likely use some work, even if the names aren't necessarily offensive on the surface. 

twitch54

« Reply #26 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:06 pm »
This PC thing is so Effed-up! PETA? Really? No one gives a S$!T about their demands! People Eating Tasty Animals PETA

LOL, agreed. Screw the NFL, I'll call them Redskins for as long as I like !

Markwatkiss

« Reply #27 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:37 pm »
Thankfully we still have redskin potatoes.

rodge827

« Reply #28 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:42 pm »
Thankfully we still have redskin potatoes.

Until the wokesters reach their boiling point and apeel to the masses to hash out a new name and bake it into our vocabulary!

Early B.

« Reply #29 on: 4 Feb 2022, 06:01 pm »
Commanders is a great name considering what most Americans think about Washington. Alternatives the franchise considered included the Lawless Legislators, Politrickans, Liar's Club, and Tax Imposers.   

Craig B

« Reply #30 on: 4 Feb 2022, 06:09 pm »
Washington Misogynists would be my pick.

I think Congress already has that term trademarked.

Craig B

« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2022, 06:30 pm »
The question isn't so much whether the terms and images are offensive to anyone, as much as they can be viewed as a cultural appropriation. Imagine if your group of people was nearly exterminated over a period of 500 years, and then those who subjugated you started using names, images and tropes that were yours, for their own wholly inappropriate purposes, even if it's done as respectfully as possible.

I'm not suggesting I'm 100% onboard with that attitude, but it does make one stop and think. Truly offensive names and images (like the Redskins, or the arguably racist stereotype that's the Cleveland Indian) are only the most egregious examples. Being from Illinois originally, I was shocked that the U of I was pressured to eliminate the Chief Illiniwek character from university sporting events, when he was presented fairly authentically and with a healthy dose of respect (notwithstanding the gymnastic tumbling, which I'm sure was never part of the real chiefs' repertoire). But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it's about more than just demeaning caricatures.

Emil

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2022, 08:00 pm »

Last thing anyone wants to do is insult Native Americans or anyone else
If they consider it insulting. So be it. Change the names.

But Guardians and Commanders are just awful  :icon_lol:

Hey! think of all the new merch you can sell! Jerseys, caps, etc.

https://www.ncai.org/policy-issues/community-and-culture/anti-defamation-mascots#:~:text=Negative%20Indian%20stereotypes%20%E2%80%93%20especially%20those,of%20derogatory%20Native%20sports%20mascots.

Philip J Fry

« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2022, 10:47 pm »
https://redstate.com/jerrywilson/2022/02/03/the-washington-commanders-are-currently-the-only-real-commanders-in-washington-n516867

Note to Moderators: This came from a conservative website. If that's a problem, please delete the post.