Scotch!!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Scotch!!
« Reply #60 on: 28 Jun 2004, 03:49 am »
Yep, Pint's pub over behind the Central Library by downtown.  Great place.  Good food too.  Maybe we should hook up sometime there, and we can drink a few drams together :-)

Carlman

Re: Scotch!!
« Reply #61 on: 28 Jun 2004, 03:54 am »
Quote from: Tyson
Highland Park 12
Ah, the scotch that Michael Jackson calls "the greatest all-rounder in the world of scotch". Nice phrase, only I disagree, I'd give that honor to Oban. ...

I could not agree more.
Both about your comments about HP12's character and it's over-inflated reviews.

Bushmills... bad ... etc.

The white label is indeed awful.  The Black label on ice is the only one worth having.  Honey overtones and a nice finish.  Very drinkable.

I'd rather have Johnny Walker Black label than regular Bushmills.  Jameson's is the standard Irish whiskey in most bars... they refer to it as 'scotch'.... ridiculous.  Does anyone go to bartender school anymore?  :lol:

I'm ok with Jamesons... I agree with your assessment on this.  It's pretty rough but compared to 'Paddy's' or other cheap-o stuff, it's not a terrible option.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #62 on: 5 Jul 2004, 05:07 pm »
Added Glenmorangie 18, Balvenie 12 Double wood, and Balvenie 21 Port Wood.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Scotch!!
« Reply #63 on: 5 Jul 2004, 07:36 pm »
Tyson,
    A lot of excellent reviews posted....thanks ![/list:u]
      Question, what would be your pick for best all around , mid-priced scotch...something you could enjoy each and every day ? Thanks !! :) [/list:u]

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #64 on: 5 Jul 2004, 09:55 pm »
Hmm, tough question!  If forced, I would probably pick the Glenmorangie 15, it is smooth and sweet enough to be pleasant for everyday drinking, but has enough complexity to be interesing over the long term, plus it is very readily available.  Unless you like a peaty scotch, in which case the Laphroaig Cask Strength is the way to go.

lonewolfny42

Scotch!!
« Reply #65 on: 6 Jul 2004, 12:27 am »
Hmm, tough question!  If forced, I would probably pick the Glenmorangie 15, it is smooth and sweet enough to be pleasant for everyday drinking, but has enough complexity to be interesing over the long term, plus it is very readily available.  Unless you like a peaty scotch, in which case the Laphroaig Cask Strength is the way to go.
Thanks Tyson !!!! :D

Carlman

Scotch!!
« Reply #66 on: 6 Jul 2004, 12:43 am »
One more suggestion, try a few... see what you like... see if you like sweet, honey, peaty, smoky, etc...  Just like gear: lively, forward, natural, warm, etc...
You don't know till you try.

I would've recommended Oban.  Not cheap or ridiculously expensive and is very consistent from bottle to bottle.  Tyson has commented on the Oban before and I agree with his assessment.  

However, Oban may not be perfect for getting started... the sweeter, smoother tastes are probably better.  I drank Blackbush Irish whiskey on ice for a while before I got into Scotch.... sort of a warmer-upper. ;)

Another good one for someone new and that's very affordable is Bushmill's 10-year single malt irish whiskey.  It's not 'Scotch' since it's Irish but still a good starter whiskey.  Have it neat.

-C

Jay S

Scotch!!
« Reply #67 on: 6 Jul 2004, 02:50 am »
I like the Abelour 15 and Glenmorangie Port Wood a lot for everyday drinking.  They are easy drinking but not boring.  In general, I tend to prefer sweetness and don't like peat very much.  

By the way, if your tastes tend toward the sweet, you may want to look into getting some Port.  Axe Hill from South Africa is excellent!!  Full bodied + a nice sophisticated sweetness.  I really regret that I only bought 1 bottle, which I am now drinking as slowly as I can stand.  Cost in South Africa was about $20/bottle.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #68 on: 6 Jul 2004, 04:56 pm »
Carlman is right, trying a lot of whisky's is the way to go :-)

I would have recommended Oban 2nd, but there are 2 others "tied" for second, Mortlach 15, and Scapa 12.  The Mortlach being similar to Glenmorangie, but a little more smoky and complex, and the Scapa 12 being a sweet heather/honey flavor that is unique and quite delicious.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #69 on: 13 Jul 2004, 04:39 am »
Added Aberfedly 14, Ardbeg Uigeadail, and updated Edradour 10.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #70 on: 18 Jul 2004, 04:43 am »
Added Mortlach 13 Signatory 1989 and Tormore 12.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #71 on: 23 Jul 2004, 03:08 am »
Added Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #72 on: 2 Aug 2004, 03:09 am »
Added Deanston 17, an update to Glenlivet 18, and another set of good glasses.

pjchappy

Scotch!!
« Reply #73 on: 10 Aug 2004, 02:53 am »
I'm enjoying a nice glass of Glenmorangie 12 right now.  This weekend, I'm gonna go for a bottle of Macallan 12.

Man, I don't see why you hate Bushmills so much.  I find it very enjoyable.

p

lonewolfny42

Scotch!!
« Reply #74 on: 13 Aug 2004, 09:10 pm »
The things you can find on the web....... Amazing !!!...Tyson , is this true ??? :?

bkwiram

glasses
« Reply #75 on: 14 Aug 2004, 01:01 am »
Another glass that may be of interest and that isn't terribly expensive is the 'Glencairn Glass', designed specifically for whiskey.

I have a couple of them and they seem to work fine. These folks:

http://www.celticmalts.com/glass.htm

sell them for a reasonable price.

best,

Brandt

ps I had - a couple of years ago - some Glenrothes 10 or 11 year old, it was about $50-$60 for the bottle. Very Highland, but not at all heavy or dark/spicy as you mention in your Glenrothes review. It was light and nice and very, very, very good. Best Highland I've ever had, for sure.  I have to agree with some others that Oban is the ticket in (usually) easy to find mid-priced whisky.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #76 on: 14 Aug 2004, 01:06 am »
I've been looking for a glass like that, thanks!

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #77 on: 18 Sep 2004, 03:59 am »
Added Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength.

Tyson

Scotch!!
« Reply #78 on: 25 Sep 2004, 10:41 pm »
Added Ardmore 12 - Cask Strength.

Tyson