High preceision meat thermometer???

djdube525

High preceision meat thermometer???
« on: 5 Jun 2009, 01:42 pm »
I remember reading once on the av123forum about someone recommending this swanky meat thermometer... super accurate, and extremely fast. You could buy all sorts of attachments... there were two versions... gah... wish I could remember the name. It ran in the $65 range... (I know seems pricey for a thermometer - but thinking about it for a gift).

For the life of me... can't seem to find it via google.

Dave

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: High preceision meat thermometer???
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:01 pm »
You could try searching Amazon and sorting by price, highest to lowest.  You may be able to find what you are looking for that way.

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:04 pm »
That was a good idea... but wasn't anyone of those... it wasn't a big name brand... and I thought was only sold directly from the manufacturer...

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:06 pm »
Ahhh... finally found it!

In case anyone is curious...
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2009, 04:06 pm »
Wow, you asked and answered your own question in less time than it took me to find the question.   :lol:

The Thermopen is an excellent product but very expensive.  I had one until someone decided it needed to be liberate from my possession, while I was cooking at a friend's BBQ.  :evil:  As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.  My friend offered to replace it after canvassing folks to return the unit they mistakenly picked up.  Hey, the person who had it could have developed a conscience and placed it on a table or kitchen counter.  I knew he wouldn't be happy with the price, so I told him to buy me a Taylor digital pro.  It's pretty accurate, dependable and works a little slower than the Thermopen.  However, it's more practical for functions with many folks moving around...if you know what I mean.  Another unit I picked up for home use is a ROSLE GOURMET THERMOMETER.  It is about half the price of the Thermopen but just as fast.  I found out about this unit when I visited the CIA in Hyde Park, NY a couple of years ago and several students were carrying it.

Lou

djdube525

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2009, 05:53 pm »
Wow, you asked and answered your own question in less time than it took me to find the question.   :lol:

Yeah... but I was searching a while before I asked.  :wink:

The Thermopen is an excellent product but very expensive.  I had one until someone decided it needed to be liberate from my possession, while I was cooking at a friend's BBQ.  :evil:  As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.  My friend offered to replace it after canvassing folks to return the unit they mistakenly picked up.  Hey, the person who had it could have developed a conscience and placed it on a table or kitchen counter.  I knew he wouldn't be happy with the price, so I told him to buy me a Taylor digital pro.  It's pretty accurate, dependable and works a little slower than the Thermopen.  However, it's more practical for functions with many folks moving around...if you know what I mean.  Another unit I picked up for home use is a ROSLE GOURMET THERMOMETER.  It is about half the price of the Thermopen but just as fast.  I found out about this unit when I visited the CIA in Hyde Park, NY a couple of years ago and several students were carrying it.

Quick question about the ROSLE... how big is the display as compared to the Thermopen?

Thanks for the suggestion Lou!

Dave

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2009, 08:22 pm »
Dave,

The display is a little smaller going on memory, but illuminated.  OBTW, another brand to check out is Cooper-Atkins.  There is a restaurant supply buisness near me and I recall seeing them after I purchased the Rosle and thought they were competative.

Lou

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:38 pm »
I have a Thermopen and use at work- it's easily the best thermometer I've ever used, worth every penny.  But be advised that Thermoworks just released a new model that's faster, more accurate & waterproof.  Even though mine works perfectly I'm going to have to upgrade to the new one. :duh:

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:48 pm »
Rob,

Why don't you sell it to Dave at the usual AC family discount...this way you will NEED to upgrade.

Lou

PS If Dave doesn't want it, I may want to purchase it.

djdube525

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2009, 10:14 pm »
Well... I was looking to get one as a gift... which I can't give a used one as a gift...

Now if the price was right, I could very well be tempted to get one for myself.  :green:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2009, 09:33 am »

Lou

I've seen the Rosle but haven't used it.  Without casting aspersions I'd wager a lot of students choose it over the TP because it's a lot cheaper.  Plus it fits in your sleeve pocket.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2009, 09:37 am »
Dave,

The display is a little smaller going on memory, but illuminated.  OBTW, another brand to check out is Cooper-Atkins.  There is a restaurant supply buisness near me and I recall seeing them after I purchased the Rosle and thought they were competative.

Lou

The entire body of the Rosle is smaller than the display window of the TP.  But the TP isn't illumated.  As much as I like my TP I'll admit backlighting could be useful in some situations.

I actually wouldn't mind getting a Rosle as a backup & for ease of carry.

As a side note, I've owned 5 Taylor's over the years and all have crapped out on me; the worst lasted a few weeks and the best lasted almost four months.  So far I'm not impressed with their stuff, although at least they're inexpensive.  NOTE:  I'm talking commercial use- at home the Taylors would probably last longer.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2009, 09:38 am »
Rob,

Why don't you sell it to Dave at the usual AC family discount...this way you will NEED to upgrade.

Lou

PS If Dave doesn't want it, I may want to purchase it.

Food for thought... A lady friend of mine has been drooling over my Thermopen (hmmm...that sounds terrible! :lol:) so she may have 1st dibs, but I might be open to dealing it when I get the new one.

eibhlin

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2009, 12:43 pm »
The Thermopen model being phased out is on sale for $74; the new model is priced at $96.

Oh  yeah, don't forget the protective case and "antibacterial wipes".