What is your favorite rum and/or tonic?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
What is your favorite rum and/or tonic?
« on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:47 pm »
My favorite mixed drink is a rum and tonic. At the moment, I'm buying Appleton white rum since it has a nice taste and doesn't strain the wallet. Any other suggestions?

For tonic, I really like Fever Tree. It's expensive but has a nice flavor and is low in sugar--a plus since my wife and I are following a low-carb diet. I have some "naturally light" Fever Tree on the way to see if it's worth spending $5 more a case for a bit less sugar.

For what it's worth, I'm not wild about Q Tonic, which is another premium brand. It has a bit of a salty tang that I don't find appealing.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: What is your favorite rum and/or tonic?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2012, 05:52 pm »
Meyers is my stock rum.  Good on the rocks, good mixed.  It has a nice molasses flavor that even Coca Cola can't hide.  Never liked tonic with anything but gin or vodka.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2012, 06:06 pm »
Havana Club, 7yr old. Although quite mixable, it's too damn precious here in the States.

Doc

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2012, 09:03 pm »
Old Monk is the tastiest I have ever had.

pehare

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2012, 09:05 pm »
real tall glass, ice to the top, small sliver of fresh lime, generous pour of Brugal Anejo or Brugal Gold ron, alittle seltzer water & just a thimble of Indian River pink grapefruit juice (Floridas finest).   not too tart not too sweet, good hydration, perfect for going way outa town:)

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2012, 10:37 pm »
Thanks for all the great suggestions. It will be fun to see what my local package store can come up with.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:53 pm »
Havana Club, 7yr old. Although quite mixable, it's too damn precious here in the States.

Doc
Havana Club is also very good, but you have to have a way to get it in from Cuba.  Ocumare is a light but flavorful Venezuealan rum that is also hard to come by.  Brughal Anejo isn't bad, but not my favorite.  Appleton makes some nice light rums also.  I think their Appleton 12 is pretty good.  I visited the Brugal plant several years ago, and the Appleton estate several decades ago.  I'd like to try the older Appletons- 21 yr and 50 yr.  Can anyone comment on those?

Scott

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2012, 12:07 am »
If it's got a label on it I'll drink it!!!

Cheers
                                    Charlie

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2012, 01:41 pm »
I like the Appleton Reserve or the 12 year old, both dark rums. I also like Cruzan Dark (not spiced) for the money. Mount Gay is also extremely nice, but a bit more expensive than the others. Meyers tastes too "scotchy" for me, but it does make a nice floater on a frozen Pina Colada. My wife likes the Castillo dark, but I find it a bit light to the taste. It is one of the less expensive brands so I have no problem buying it for her :-)

Bacardi is the Absolute of Rums and really not very good IMO compared to others at its price point.

Here's a link to a few more that you may want to try if they are available in your area:

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/tp/rum_brands.htm

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2012, 01:54 pm »
Thanks, BobM. This is giving me lots to explore. :D

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2012, 01:28 am »
I tried some Mt. Gay this weekend and have to say it is very interesting. The rum has a vanilla flavor that mixes quite well with the Fever Tree tonic. On the tonic, I'm trying the Naturally Light version, which is sweetened with fructose.

So far the Light version is not as good taste-wise as the sugar sweetened  standard tonic.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2012, 03:28 am »
For the money "Treaty Oak" is my current favorite. It's made in Austin, TX of all places.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2012, 11:34 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, SlushPuppy. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I had no idea people were starting up micro-distilleries.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2012, 10:01 pm »
I've got two:

Railean Reserve XO

Pusser's Navy Rum

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm »
One thing I like is being able to take my iPad into the store with this list. Great way to check out what's available.  :thumb:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm »
I bought Appleton Special the other day. It has a sort of oaky whiskey taste. Not bad, but I preferred the Mount Gay's more mellow flavor.

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 4 Nov 2012, 01:29 pm »
My favorite mixed drink is a rum and tonic. At the moment, I'm buying Appleton white rum since it has a nice taste and doesn't strain the wallet. Any other suggestions?

For tonic, I really like Fever Tree. It's expensive but has a nice flavor and is low in sugar--a plus since my wife and I are following a low-carb diet. I have some "naturally light" Fever Tree on the way to see if it's worth spending $5 more a case for a bit less sugar.

For what it's worth, I'm not wild about Q Tonic, which is another premium brand. It has a bit of a salty tang that I don't find appealing.

I also try to follow low carb. I don't like Q tonic at all -- it's way too overpowering and I cant' taste the gin (haven't tried rum).  I've gone back to drinking the "fake", sugarless/fructose-less tonics. 

I've been looking to try rum, but only neat.  Supposedly, Mexican rums are good.  But these are going to rums that will probably overpower the normal drink.  I'd like to try the new white rum by Sammy Hagar, but I haven't seen this yet here in New England.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #17 on: 4 Nov 2012, 01:59 pm »
I also try to follow low carb. I don't like Q tonic at all -- it's way too overpowering and I cant' taste the gin (haven't tried rum).  I've gone back to drinking the "fake", sugarless/fructose-less tonics. 

I've been looking to try rum, but only neat.  Supposedly, Mexican rums are good.  But these are going to rums that will probably overpower the normal drink.  I'd like to try the new white rum by Sammy Hagar, but I haven't seen this yet here in New England.

Fever Tree is great if you're following a low-carb diet. My wife found some at Whole Paycheck the other day, so consider buying a four pack of the regular and naturally light. I had a really nice gin-based drink a few weeks back that was made with tonic. I'll see if I can find out the recipe.

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2012, 06:24 pm »
Fever Tree is great if you're following a low-carb diet. My wife found some at Whole Paycheck the other day, so consider buying a four pack of the regular and naturally light. I had a really nice gin-based drink a few weeks back that was made with tonic. I'll see if I can find out the recipe.

Thanks, I'll look for this the next time I'm at Whole Paycheck.  I found the website and 5g of carbs per serving isn't bad.

roscoeiii

« Reply #19 on: 4 Nov 2012, 06:52 pm »
For me Mount Gay is the one for rum & tonics. And to really seal the deal, make sure you have it with lime.

In other contexts (like Dark & Stormys), I like other rums better.  But nothing has topped the Mount Gay, tonic & lime combo.