Help for 1.7i caps and inductor upgrade

rikirk

Help for 1.7i caps and inductor upgrade
« on: 4 May 2017, 05:22 pm »
After my last visit to Axpona I decided to keep my planar setup and go for an upgrade. I was willing to go OP, but nothing really excited me too much and I am still in love with what the 1.7 offer to my ears. Nevertheless I believe there is room for improvement in building a new box and bypass fuses.
Davey kindly posted the schematic of the 1.7, which I guess is the same for the "i". I would have someone locally do the soldering.

I read that Jantzen inductors and Clarity Caps (CMR) might be a good option, but I do not know which value should I get for super tweeter, tweeter, and mid-bass.

Can anyone help me to identity the right components?

Davey

Re: Help for 1.7i caps and inductor upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2017, 02:07 am »
I suggest to review this thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145066.0
I redrew the silly schematic on the Magnestand website to a standard format, but I make no guarantees it's correct.  Anything coming from the Magnestand website is pure nonsense as far as I'm concerned.
Unless we see an official 1.7 schematic from Magnepan, I think all published ones are questionable.  I don't have access to a 1.7 with its skirt up, so can't draw a schematic I know to be 100% correct.

If you're just interested in replacing crossover components with "audiophile grade" ones of the same value, it's a total crap shoot.

I suggest to leave your speakers as-is and continue to enjoy them.

Dave.

rikirk

Re: Help for 1.7i caps and inductor upgrade
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2017, 01:24 pm »
Thank you Dave for the instructive reply. Will follow your suggestion and wait till the 3.7 or .8 will show up one day.