Room placement for Magnepan 1.7 speakers

johnto

Room placement for Magnepan 1.7 speakers
« on: 18 Jan 2017, 02:14 am »
My room is 12 X 15 and currently the speakers are 24" from the side walls angled in with outside 34 " from wall and inside 24" from the wall. The speakers are set on the 12' wall. Sounds is great but wondering if there are other users with similar size rooms and what placement they are using.

Toolbox149

Re: Room placement for Magnepan 1.7 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2017, 03:35 am »
Hey John;
I have Maggie 1.7s as well.  My room is 18'x12' but since I have many, many components, my 1.7s are on the 18' wall instead.  Here are some things I have found. 
My Maggie's aren't in the corners, they are centered along the long wall and are only separated by 6' on the inside edges. I don't have a lot of depth. If you can move them a little closer together you might try that because corners can muddy up your sound. Especially, with Maggies pumping out music both front and rear.  If you have to have them that close to the corners you might have to look into some Bass Traps to tame some of the reflections.  I would suggest you google "bass trap"  and look for GIK.
While 5' seems to be the optimal distance for Maggie's to be pulled out from the front wall, your distance could work very well.  You might try them pulled out a little further, if possible.  Mine are only 3' from the wall but I still get a great sound.
Two things I do that are a little different: 1) rather than point each of my Maggie's at my ears, I angle them so they point about 6" out from my shoulders.  This gives me a slightly differant sound which you might like also. Especially if your chair is close to your Back wall.   Try a few different angles.  You may find a surprisingly nice  placement you like better than having your speakers pointing right at your ears.
2). I like my Maggie's to be tilted forward 1 degree towards my listening position rather than tilted back.  You might try few different angles (forward leaning, straight up or backward leaning) to see which one of them produces the sound stage you enjoy the most.  You might try some different size pieces of wood to help provide an angle and don't forget, you can always mount the Maggie supplied feet reversed which will give you a forward lean - if you like that sound.  No matter what you use to stand your Maggies up - the regular issue Maggie feet, Mye Stands, or Sound Anchors, I would suggest going to your local Big Box Hardware store and buying a couple of those large, concrete patio blocks. The ones that are about 15"x 15"  or maybe 18" x 18" and are 2" thick.  One or two of those on top of your speaker feet will anchor your Maggies as good as anything.

Batman Basmati

• I do what I please, and I do it with ease.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2017, 04:19 am »
I agree--I found that mine perform much better closer together than into the corners.  Placement, like pride of ownership, is everything! :o :|

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2017, 02:16 pm »
When I owned MMG's and then 1.6QR's I spent a lot of time playing with placement.

For the 1.6's I eventually landed on 40 inches from the front wall, minor toe in, tweeters out, and no closer than 24 inches to a side wall.  The space between the panels was about 65 inches, and I was around 7 feet from them.

Took me about 1 month of daily experimentation and putting tape marks on the carpet to move them back to others spots for comparison.

johnto

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2017, 05:00 pm »
Thank you to everyone who responded.
I did move the speakers out a few inches more and now have the sub in front instead or behind the 1.7 sound does show improvements especially the bass and some imaging.

josh358

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2017, 06:42 pm »
I'd try them even farther from the front wall. The imaging gets better when the first front wall reflection is delayed by 10 ms or so, which means 5'. In general, the further out they are, the more depth you get. You can also try arranging speakers and listening position so that the first reflection from sidewalls is nulled -- put some mirrors on the sidewalls so that you see the edge of the speakers from your listening position. When you get the null right, you'll find that the sound is clearer and the imaging more precise. I was able to do it in a room about the size of yours though it does put me up against the rear wall, which isn't ideal.