Toronto AudioFest 2018

Stu Pitt

Re: Toronto AudioFest 2018
« Reply #60 on: 7 Nov 2018, 01:47 am »

Stu,

i asked James a while ago almost the same question. if i remember correctly he said that there is no demand for active speakers of the A-series...
pretty sad as i think, 'cause for those who want a quality active system at a lower budget the A-series might be a good catch.
and given the success of the T-series i can't imagine that it is not doable to do active A-speakers... :scratch:

greetings,

al.
I agree with you, but honestly, what do I know? I’m sure it’s not as simple as I am (and possibly you too) are making it out to be. I’ve never run a manufacturing business, nor any other business for that matter. I’m sure James and Co. know what they’re doing. I need to remind myself of that every now and then. They’ve been around for a while now, so I trust they’re doing something right :)

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #61 on: 7 Nov 2018, 07:53 am »
Stu,

yes i think you are right. i never had a business like that, too. and i guess i never will. so it's always easy to talk and judge about things when you are the one who is not involved and not responsible for it.

so when i am talking about brandnew Bryston products like active A-speakers it should be taken as a wishdream :icon_lol:

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #62 on: 7 Nov 2018, 08:55 am »
Hi Folks,

I thought about Active versions of the Bryston A Series speakers but dd not for 2 main reasons.

1 Active systems though vastly superior in my opinion performance wise do not sell in any quantities to justify the cost of development. That's why you do not see many active systems from the major speaker companies     I decided to do active versions of some of our speakers (originally just the T-Series) because I think it really does move the performance envelope up a notch but my partners think its a costly undertaking with very little or no financial benefit

2 In order to develop an Active version of a speaker we have to spend about 100 hours in measurement time in the anechoic chamber 'PER SPEAKER MODEL' in order to make sure the 'SOUND POWER' is uniform throughout    Over 300 measurements over 360 degrees is required. Then listening tests and re-tweaking of the "Family of Curves' is done and then more listening tests etc.  So its a long and tenuous exercise if you want to get it right and convincing the powers that be is arduous.

We are offering the A Series speakers in Wireless versions going forward so they will have internal amplifiers (which has benefits) but we still use the internal crossovers as well.

james