Strange sound when turning IDA 6 on

jtmsrl

Strange sound when turning IDA 6 on
« on: 14 Apr 2020, 10:14 pm »
This is my seconds Nuprime IDA 6 and im having some issues. When turning it, the speakers make a strange noice as seen in this video https://youtu.be/JT4cIpz6vnY

Is this normal? is there a way to remove this sound? Im using 2 Polk signature s20 as speakers

jtmsrl

Re: Strange sound when turning IDA 6 on
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2020, 04:23 pm »
I realized that when using a multimeter at the speaker output, it shows 1v going to the speakers. Im pretty sure this is not normal

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2020, 11:30 pm »
Turn on pop for IDA-6 is normal.

jtmsrl

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2020, 04:34 pm »
that sounds more like a high pitch scratch sound than a pop, you're saying its normal and it wont damage my speakers?

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2020, 07:24 pm »
1V is not loud enough to damage your speaker. It might sounded awful, but speaker is designed to handle the freq.

jtmsrl

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2020, 02:24 pm »
I think it would make sense if it was on both sides, but this sound is coming out just from the left side speaker. Same for 1V output its just on one side

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2020, 04:11 am »
These devices are not digital, therefore you can expect uneven behaviour during power on.  When it is powered on, a lot of the parts are just starting up in unknown state.  For high end models, we add one or more power supply relays to control how amp board is powered up to avoid unpleasant but harmless noise.  The speaker is designed to reproduce any type of sound safely within the design spec of the speaker. 
A lot of entry level consumer audio products use chip based solution so the power on pop has been taken care of internally.
For high end but entry level IDA-6, we have to make a compromise to achieve the target price.

jtmsrl

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2020, 12:38 pm »
you’re saying a relay is used to avoid this unpleasant noises in high end devices, but IDA-6 do have one of these relays and I can hear it go on and off multiple times at start up. So clearly this mechanism is inside the IDA-6 and is having some kind of failure. If you’re saying there is an expected noise on non-digital devices, I expect this to take place every time I turn on an IDA-6, what bothers me is that this wasn’t the normal behavior until a few weeks from now, when this noise appeared from one day to another.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:28 pm »
 I was saying that some sort of turn on noise for IDA-6 is expected. But you are saying that your IDA-6 is not normal, so without getting your IDA-6 back to the factory for analysis, we can't be sure. Please create a help desk ticket. But again, it is turn on noise, it won't affect your normal listening. Do you think it is worth the expense of investigating this issue? The round trip cost of shipping IDA-6 is going to be expensive.
If it is a problem that affects the performance or functionality of the  product, we will certainly fix it. If you want to trade it in for IDA-8, email our sales and I can make you and offer.  I simply can't just authorise the expense of replacing your IDA-6 because of a turn on noise.

jtmsrl

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2020, 12:48 am »
well, what I was hoping not to happen it happened again. My IDA-6 is officially dead, it's the second one so far in less than 6 months. It starts with this scratch sound at turn on, then after playing for some minutes, the sound starts going on and off after a couple of seconds. Sending back for warranty

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2020, 02:13 am »
I need to ask support to check why did it fail the first time, if they can locate the failed parts from the distributor. Please email support@nuprimeaudio.com