Rusty....AMG amps. Info please.

glitchesbrew

Re: Rusty....AMG amps. Info please.
« Reply #40 on: 13 Mar 2020, 10:40 pm »
Thanks very much John. Your answer helps a lot and I really appreciate it.

madinaudio

« Reply #41 on: 21 Mar 2020, 07:36 pm »
Hi rusty... Can you compare the Sonic différence between the AMG Preamp and the Nuforce P8s and the Nuforce P9 ... I know this two Preamp very well !!!
Regards

rustydoglim

« Reply #42 on: 22 Mar 2020, 05:55 am »
This is the best comparison and review of PRA:  https://totallywired.nz/nuprime-2/nuprime-amg-pra/

Preamp must do no wrong - it shouldn't change the sound of the system. AMG PRA has a default setting that does that very well. So in that regards, it is equivalent or better than P-9.  But it also has other settings (it was badly named as "loudness" but that's not what it does) allow it to better match the speaker and amp.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #43 on: 22 Mar 2020, 06:29 pm »
Any 3rd party STA review instead?

rustydoglim

« Reply #44 on: 23 Mar 2020, 09:36 am »
Not yet, the amp was just released, and COVID-19 comes along  :duh:
But we have been consistent and spot on so far.  You guys no need more reviews, just trust us, lol. :thumb:

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #45 on: 10 Apr 2020, 04:27 pm »
Good evening from France,

I have an av8805 marantz, two AMG STA for my fronts (Focal Sopra 2), one STA-9 for my central unit (Focal Sopra Center), one STA_9 (Focal SR1000Be) for my surrounds.

Can I insert an AMG PRA between the Marantz AV8805 and my two AMG STAs?

With an omnia wr-1 on the AMG PRA I could then have a Hifi and HC set without unplugging anything !

You see what I want to do ?

Take care of yourself,

Cheers !

sresener

« Reply #46 on: 11 Apr 2020, 05:27 pm »
Good evening from France,

I have an av8805 marantz, two AMG STA for my fronts (Focal Sopra 2), one STA-9 for my central unit (Focal Sopra Center), one STA_9 (Focal SR1000Be) for my surrounds.

Can I insert an AMG PRA between the Marantz AV8805 and my two AMG STAs?

With an omnia wr-1 on the AMG PRA I could then have a Hifi and HC set without unplugging anything !

You see what I want to do ?

Take care of yourself,

Cheers !

You have a nice setup but I had one suggestion if you plan to do serious two channel listening.

I have tried just about every avr and surround preamp out there, including your 8805. These work great for hdmi switching and surround for movies, but when it comes to using them as a dac or streamer. Well this is where things fall apart very quickly and in a very big way.

My first dedicated dac was a smsl su8 v2 It was also used as a pre amp, it was fed by a computer using roon. The improvements for stereo listening was in a whole other league compared to my avr pre.

So IF you are going down the two channel listening rabbit hole. I would suggest a dedicated source, dac and preamp for music.

Right now I only use my surround processor for movies.

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #47 on: 11 Apr 2020, 06:05 pm »
Hi sresener,

That's exactly that i want to do !

AMG PRA + 2 x AMG STA for two channels listening.

The AMG PRA on "By Pass" when i want to see a movie with my family.

And AV8805 off when i want to listen music.

I have to read some news/reviews about Nuprime Omnia WR-1 ot other stuff because i have only a synology NAS and today i'm listening with HEOS app on my Marantz.

Tomorrow i want to connect a good FLAC/DSD player on my AMG PRA.

sresener

« Reply #48 on: 11 Apr 2020, 08:16 pm »
Hi sresener,

That's exactly that i want to do !

AMG PRA + 2 x AMG STA for two channels listening.

The AMG PRA on "By Pass" when i want to see a movie with my family.

And AV8805 off when i want to listen music.

I have to read some news/reviews about Nuprime Omnia WR-1 ot other stuff because i have only a synology NAS and today i'm listening with HEOS app on my Marantz.

Tomorrow i want to connect a good FLAC/DSD player on my AMG PRA.

How do you like the amg amps paired with your focals. I am using focal 1038 with a pair of evolutions amps.

The sopra 2's were on my short list but when I heard the two I could not justify the 2.5x cost difference.

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #49 on: 11 Apr 2020, 09:47 pm »
Hi,

Before my SOPRA2 I had 1028be (after ARIA 936), great speakers that made me want to go further.

I change when I can, I try to buy at the best price and to evolve by giving a little money each time, the second-hand market being prosperous ... we manage to move forward !

For the difference in price, I can return the question to you.
If you put two AMG STAs instead of your two EVOs, is it really worth twice ++ the price ?
It is the same on motorsport, the lasts seconds are very difficult and expansive to win ...

The 1028be were well built, very detailed with serious but lacking impact.
When I switched to the SOPRA2 the bass was much fuller with more impact, the sound of the boxes was still far away, the music is in the room and doesn't come out of the speakers, the mid/high range is more integrated and more harmonious.

For my 35 square meters and my listening rarely at a high level, there is the presence of fullness, magnificent voices, jazz that makes you stomp your feet.
I plan to switch to the Scala Evo light walnut if I can afford it ...

But I think it will take some time before I feel the evolution towards the Sopra 2s which are excellent products both visually and in sound quality.
They are magnificent objects, the Scala is even better in the midrange but you have to pass the running-in of the boomer.

For me, the best speakers I've ever listened to are the Stella Utopia EM but it takes money and a very nice room to enjoy them.

For sure, after a lot of amps, the Nuprime have changed my life ! A pair of EVO must calm down a lot of Mcintosh or Accuphase ...

The switch from STA-9 (mono) to STA AMG (mono) brought more bass, dynamics, impact but also more details, more stage width and depth, more nuances in the vocals, a softer and more textured midrange ... I don't have the words, I'm only an amateur.

Good night, here it's time to dream about my future material ^^

sresener

« Reply #50 on: 12 Apr 2020, 03:17 pm »
Thats a good question, I would love to compare the amg's directly to my evo amps. Only then I would know where value lies

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #51 on: 12 Apr 2020, 03:24 pm »
There is bound to be a difference, but the higher you go up the range, the less it's big ...

The main thing is the quality/price ratio, but each thing has its price, an evo is more expensive and it's normal there is a lot of material, study and development ... without the EVO there would not have been an AMG I think.

In terms of trade, there are crazy margins on some products and the higher you go up the range, the more margin there is !

sresener

« Reply #52 on: 12 Apr 2020, 04:10 pm »
Yes I agree on the margins but fortunately I paid nowhere near retail for any of my equipment :)… so far 

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #53 on: 12 Apr 2020, 04:29 pm »
that's cheating !  :o  8)

Please, send to me your pair of EVO for a unlimited free loan, for sure i say to you if they are better my AMG STAs  :green:

glitchesbrew

« Reply #54 on: 13 Apr 2020, 02:03 pm »
Sure, the AMG series are expected to be launched around late October.  Please don't ask your dealers or distributors for availability, otherwise they will get "upset" and start chasing me for it :)

We have updated the Amp Comparison and Characteristic article: https://nuprimeaudio.com/guides/amp-comparison/
AMG is not included in there but it is good to review this guide if anyone is not familiar with NuPrime.

[...]

It seems that there is no room for AMG series, but obviously there are people who prefer some other brands than NuPrime. So the AMG series have several objectives:
1. High end performance above the 9 series and in parallel with the 10 series.
2. Sonic characteristic appeal to people who currently don't choose NuPrime because they want to have all the good stuff, but a little more relax and warm (but not like STA-9 warm).

[...]

So now that the amp comparison charts has been updated to include the AMG STA it looks like the AMG STA is warmer then the STA-9.

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #55 on: 14 Apr 2020, 04:08 pm »
Good evening,

I don't find the AMG STA warmer than the STA-9.

Faster, more dynamic, powerful without a doubt!

It's less colored in the midrange than the STA-9 at home, on my equipment. That's my feeling, but I'm not a reference in audio ...

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #56 on: 30 Apr 2020, 09:40 am »
Hello everyone, I hope you're all well.

I have just received my AMG PRA, I'm going to install it tomorrow because it's a public holiday in France.

I'm going to insert it between my AV preamp (Marantz AV8805) and my two AMG STAs on the XLR inputs.

The French importer advised me to set the level to 92 to be at 0dB.

I have a question about the "brick" oops the remote control ...

What is the button next to the mute for ?

Thank you !

rustydoglim

« Reply #57 on: 30 Apr 2020, 10:10 am »
See the Quick Start Guide on the product page download tab: https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/amg-pra/

glitchesbrew

« Reply #58 on: 30 Apr 2020, 10:38 am »
Except that the remote is not even mentioned in the Quick Start Guide, or the Manual.

PBN94F the button you mentioned is for cycling through the input sources, so it's a bit redundant since you already can directly access each source by pressing the corresponding source number.

When I saw it first I thought it was to cycle through the "loudness" modes. But unfortunately that is not the case, you have to lift your bum from the couch to do that.

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #59 on: 30 Apr 2020, 11:10 am »
Thanks glitchesbrew !

rustydoglim : The documents provided are still light...

Another example, on Left Toggle Switch: Output Gain, with 2 AMG STA what do you recommend ? high or low ?

The same for remote control of amplifiers : Should we leave them off or on?

I was also told that PRA remembered the volume by source, I didn't see it written anywhere.