Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer

Steidl Guitars

Re: Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:52 am »
Female Vocals: I have a CD by Patty Griffin "Living With Ghosts".
Patty is terrific (just saw her a few weeks ago), and musically that's a great CD.  But the recording is damned near torture! 

If you can find a rig that can tame that while not smothering great recordings, then you've got some magic going on...

OzarkTom

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jun 2010, 10:09 am »
Joe Customer,

No, the amp is not harsh without the tube buffer, great sounding CD's sounds fantastic. The better sounding CD's sounds great. But the real badly recorded CD's only sounds great with the tube buffer. Without the tube buffer, the bad recordings can still sound bad and  harsh. The buffer just adds that musical magic. Now I can listen to all my CD's.  :D

Sorry not to clarify this. I did warn everyone that this was going to be a choppy bad review, and so it is.

As for the batteries, I live in a small town and the electric power is very dirty here. If I can play the system after midnight, after the town shuts down, it soumds as good as with the batteries. But since I don't want a divorce and I am not young like I use to be, batteries must be it for me. The harshness is the worse on the badly recorded CD's. Seth probably remembers at the LSAF, I was getting a small tad of harshness in my system, and it went completely away after the battery supply was inserted. Over the years I tried a lot of power line conditioners, but they all shut down the soundstage somewhat.

Sorry Joe Customer to confuse anyone here, does any of this make sense? Maybe the Gallo Reference Stradas are just too revealing. Or maybe it is just my ears. My ears have always been too keen on that electronic harshness that gives me listening fatique.

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jun 2010, 10:22 am »
If you want an absolute "wall of sound" listen to a QSound CD on a Virtue amp.

One way out song is Michael Jackson's "2000 Watts" on the Invicible CD. It sounds like you are listening to it with a 7.1 surround system. You actually will be looking for the surround speakers. I wonder how Quincy Jones accomplished that.
Wild!

jdbrian

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2010, 10:28 am »
Hi folks

Your description of the buffers sound has me excited as I just ordered a set of ICEblocks. Now I am really looking forward to hearing them. I am using GR ob 7's with all the upgrades. Sounds like another exciting and innovative product from Virtue. Well done Seth!

Brian

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer - $300
« Reply #24 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:02 pm »
Good news, folks.

I spoke with Gary at length last night and he really wants to help get these buffers out into the world. 

So we're going to price them affordably -- $300 regardless of whether you're a new customer or an existing one.  We think that the DIY option is a can of worms so we're just not going to do it.

I'm going to create an option now on the website.  We're also going to do a full sonicap upgrade for M451 customers for $110 and a sonicap bypass option for M901 customers for $45, including labor.  Shipping from you and back to you extra.

http://store.virtueaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DODD%2DSENSATION%2DTUBE%2DBUFFER1

Seth

Mariusz

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:47 pm »
Hi Seth
the list of tubes suitable for use with the buffer on your website includes 6V tubes.
If I remember correctly, you need to flip the voltage selector switch in order to use 12V or  6V tubes.
Just want to make sure the information is correct.

Best
Mariusz   

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #26 on: 14 Jun 2010, 04:59 pm »
Great catch... getting ahead of myself... Ok, website is working.  You should be able to order the tube buffer separately or as an add-on right now.

If you live far away and really wanted the DIY option, please email me privately.  Basically, you need serious skillz and if you toast your amp, it's gone.  Also, Gary must agree to support you!

Mariusz

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jun 2010, 05:56 pm »
 :thumb: looks good now.

:wink:

mca

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jun 2010, 06:11 pm »
Now that the Sensation is available with the tube buffer, I am curious, other than the power difference, what the sound difference is between the Sensation and the Ice Blocks?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jun 2010, 07:59 pm »
Gary says the Sensation with mods is as musical as the ICEBlocks, although the ICEBlocks have a lot more power and give more authority on the low-end.  I've yet to get a second opinion comparing a fully upgraded Sensation with ICEBlocks.  Both products are simply outstanding...

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Sonicap upgrade option
« Reply #30 on: 14 Jun 2010, 08:00 pm »
Here is what the M451 full sonicap replacement looks like:

For $110, Gary says you won't regret the upgrade.

For M901 owners, the Platinum bypass caps are all you would want (black ones on top).  For $45, Gary says it's a no-brainer.

Mariusz

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jun 2010, 09:35 pm »
I want it :drool:

But ......... as long as it works. :lol:

PSB Guy

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jun 2010, 11:28 pm »

OzarkTom

Re: Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer - $300
« Reply #33 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:06 am »
Good news, folks.

I spoke with Gary at length last night and he really wants to help get these buffers out into the world. 

Gary will be burning a lot of midnight oil once the word-of-mouth'ers and the reviewers get ahold of them. It was definitely worth it to me. Gary's tube buffer has re-opened all of my library of 60's rock bamds. Some people are paying $400+ to see the Eagle's, and now all of these era bands are in my living room.

The Sensation is way better value than the Peachtree Nova. Even the Virtue One.2 out imaged the Nova. The Nova  never gave nuch of a soundstage outside of  my speakers.

Mariusz

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:49 am »
IMO Sensation with buffer will not directly compete with Peachtree products.
It doesn't have a build in DAC. But if you feel inclined to compare the two, get yourself one of the well recieved DACs like ......? Eastern Electric and I bet you that this combo will wipe the floor with Nova  or other hybrid designs.
To my ear, original Sensation sounds pretty good. Actually, good enough to purchase it for my other system. And that is coming from a guy who uses tubes on daily bases.
I agree that some tube designs can hide the flows on those not so great recordings better and that more euphoric middle range is quite addictive. However, the best tube amplifiers WILL reveal exactly what is on the recording whether it is good, bad or the ugly.

Just my two cents   

OzarkTom

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:09 am »
IMO Sensation with buffer will not directly compete with Peachtree products.
It doesn't have a build in DAC. But if you feel inclined to compare the two, get yourself one of the well recieved DACs like ......? Eastern Electric and I bet you that this combo will wipe the floor with Nova  or other hybrid designs.
To my ear, original Sensation sounds pretty good. Actually, good enough to purchase it for my other system. And that is coming from a guy who uses tubes on daily bases.
I agree that some tube designs can hide the flows on those not so great recordings better and that more euphoric middle range is quite addictive. However, the best tube amplifiers WILL reveal exactly what is on the recording whether it is good, bad or the ugly.

Just my two cents   

The only thing I know, the Nova cannot do justice with these Gallo Strada speakers, and it would totally fall apart on Danny's reference V1's. I have seen a bunch of audiophiles getting rid of their Novas on Audiogon the last few months. I guess I am not the only one that feels that way. I PM'ed one seller and he said the same thing. The Dac is fine, but the amp section is just mediocre. The One.2 was better in everyway than my Nova. It made me sick. So I put the Nova on Audiogon and sold it.

Mariusz

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:37 am »
Agree
and that is what's so tricky about all in one designs.
If only one section of that design falls flat on its face the whole project can go to hell. 

I ones asked Seth about DAC options/possibility for Sensation integrated but  now I want to take that back and add - if it is not broken, do not fix it.  :wink:

P.S
Seth was kind enough to speed up the delivery of Sensation with buffer so I am expecting it later this week.   

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:56 am »
Hey Mariusz, what tube amps are you currently running? I first started with the Futterman H3's back in the early 70's. Through the last 40 years, I have used Cary, Quicksilver, Counterpoint, Moscode, David Berning, Audio Researh, Atmasphere OTL, CJ, VTL, Manley, NYAL OTL, Acoustat OTL, Dynaco Mk. III's, Stereo 70, Citation II, III, amd V, Sophia....Let's see, did I forget some? I actually sold most of those brands as a high-end audio dealer.

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:00 am »
You will love that Sensation with the tube buffer, and don't be afraid to try it in your main system.

Mariusz

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:32 am »
I also had quite a few but right now it is down to : custom build 300b PSE monoblocks, Decware SV83M monoblocks, MiniWatt integrated.
(that's tube amps only)

Cheers :thumb: