Is the Hurricane hype/panic a bit... 'overblown'?

john1970

Re: Is the Hurricane hype/panic a bit... 'overblown'?
« Reply #40 on: 29 Aug 2011, 09:23 am »
Looks like I was one of the lucky individuals.  I still have my power and there are not large limbs or trees down on my property.  I dodged a bullet this time around.  Irene has definitely made me reconsider the logic of havings trees close to the house; over the next few weeks I will probably have a few removed or trimmed.

Best,
John

geezer

« Reply #41 on: 29 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm »
A few comments:

I'm astounded by the large number of people who apparently think storm intensities, sizes, and paths can be predicted with perfect accuracy, especially if it's a meteorologist.

If I were responsible for preparing the public for a probable disaster, I would ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be sure to err on the side of safety.

Anyone who can predict storms better than the current experts, please tell us how to do it!

I don't think any of those who lost their homes or their loved ones are complaining about the predictions.

So far as I know, no one was forced to leave their homes, even where there were mandatory evacuation orders.

I, for one, am hugely pleased that so many got through the storm safely.

neekomax

« Reply #42 on: 29 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm »
Well, I'm the OP‚ and the irony is that it's the second day here without power, and 40% of our rather large county is in the same boat.  :duh:

Words officially eaten.

rodge827

« Reply #43 on: 29 Aug 2011, 04:12 pm »
We lost our power on Sat night and just got it back :D. No real damage here except a slight hangover :icon_lol: Almost back to normal  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #44 on: 29 Aug 2011, 04:42 pm »
The truth is that the dire warning beforehand suited both politicians and journalists. Just as with the minor earthquake that shook the east coast last week causing no loss of life and virtually no damage, Irene became a huge story because it was where the media lived...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyharnden/100102355/perfect-storm-of-hype-politicians-the-media-and-the-hurricane-irene-apocalypse-that-never-was/

Perhaps, but had it turned into another Katrina situation it would have been a huge mess.  And if nothing else it served notice to New Yawkers that someday they're gonna be screwed.  Concerns about N.O. being in a bowl were known for years, and few did anything about it.  Imagine a Category 3 storm being funneled up the Hudson river.  That's a similar geographical liability that's gonna happen eventually. 

I wonder what it would cost to have a some huge corks built to keep the NYC tunnels free of water? 

pslate

« Reply #45 on: 29 Aug 2011, 05:49 pm »
My folks received some damage to their house in seacost NH in a neighborhood of old homes (mostly 19th century). But really just due to the fact that the neighbor does not take care of their trees. Still a bummer. Glad to hear New Englanders are for the most part safe and sound.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #46 on: 29 Aug 2011, 06:11 pm »
I always hate to see those storms as they come in because "someone" is going to have some bad days...some...loss of property and some, even loss of life.  I'm thankful it wasn't worse than it was.  FWIW...I have come to believe that "how bad it is" often is determined by whether it impacts someone personally or not.  Sad, but true.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #47 on: 29 Aug 2011, 08:28 pm »
Just down the street from me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tE1efT2Ws

pansixt

« Reply #48 on: 29 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm »
There was a lot of pre-storm hype.
But at about one a.m. on Sunday morning we had Hurricane force winds.
So we were believers at that point.

It took me all day Sunday to move the tree limbs away from my house.
We also had no power until very late yesterday.
Fortunately, we had no damage to the house or shed from the winds.

Eastern Virginia got hammered and tragically, there was loss of life.

The Earthquake earlier in the week did more damage to my home than the Hurricane.

James

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #49 on: 30 Aug 2011, 12:49 am »
My folks received some damage to their house in seacost NH in a neighborhood of old homes (mostly 19th century). But really just due to the fact that the neighbor does not take care of their trees. Still a bummer. Glad to hear New Englanders are for the most part safe and sound.

Safe...yes.

However, I have friends from southern NH, RI, and around the Hopkinton, MA area that are still without power and might not have it restored until later in the week.

I can only imagine how bad it would have been had Irene maintained her hurricane status when it reached us in New England.

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #50 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:24 am »
Better safe than sorry!!

Err on the side of caution.

Survival should trump convenience ---- even if it means cheating you out of your Darwin moment.

neekomax

« Reply #51 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:29 am »
Here on Long Island, we're getting word that it could be up to six days before we get power restored.

Bummer.  :|

ctviggen

« Reply #52 on: 30 Aug 2011, 01:40 am »
90% of the people/homes in my town are still without power (we lost ours about 5am Saturday morning and still don't have it; I drove to Massachusetts to another home that has power, though only 50% of the homes here do!).  My work location had no power today and in that town, 60% are without power.  Go to connecticut light and power and look at how many towns have 100% without power!  It's shocking. 

djbnh

« Reply #53 on: 31 Aug 2011, 08:30 am »
Got our power back on Monday AM, got internet / phone / cable back Tuesday evening. About 30% of my town still w/o power, I can hear the generators running. Lent my generator to my boss so at least we can help out one family in town. Had one fatal in NH, may he rest in peace.

The mid / upper Lakes region, and especially northern NH, got hammered. Flooding has taken out huge chunks of the "Kank", the legendary road that is a favorite for leaf peepers. It'll be a few months before that's repaired. Plymouth and the state college there have expansive flooding, as do other similarly located towns. Unbelievable.

ctviggen

« Reply #54 on: 31 Aug 2011, 01:34 pm »
74% of my town still without power.  I lost power  Saturday morning at 5am; that's 4 days without power so far. I'm working from a home in Mass., because I can't have two young children at home with no refrigeration, running water, etc. 

ctviggen

« Reply #55 on: 2 Sep 2011, 12:48 pm »
Still no power at my house.  I'm one of the last 9% in my town without power.  159,000 people still without power in CT from CL&P. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #56 on: 2 Sep 2011, 01:26 pm »
Still no power at my house.  I'm one of the last 9% in my town without power.  159,000 people still without power in CT from CL&P.

Sorry to hear that Bob.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #57 on: 3 Sep 2011, 10:21 am »
Is the Hurricane hype/panic a bit... 'overblown'?

I guess we'll find out in 24 hours.....good luck and..
.................keep those "brews" cold... :lol:  :beer:

Six days no electric....finally back on line !!

Too long for sure..... :nono:

jermmd

« Reply #58 on: 3 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm »
I was told my power would be out until Monday. That's more than a week for me. No water, no lights, no refrigeration, all the food has been thrown out. I did get a seasons worth of firewood out of the storm. Thank goodness the temperature has been nice because we don't have AC or heat.

The kids were supposed to start school last Tuesday but the first week has been cancelled. They're happy.

Joe M.