"wings" on Magnepan 3.6 ... cheap and fast attempt at sonic bliss

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Ok, I just had to fool around some more with the idea of adding a wing to enhance the bass and lower mids a little.
I have a slightly sonically tilted setup, with all the conditioners atc, it is a little bass shy (in a good way of course)
But still a bit of balance is a good thing.
So i tried using some wood i have laying around getting 'seasoned' before making some shelving, and grabbed two 3/4 inch thick, six foot tall, seven and a half inch wide boards and put a wing on only the bass side edge. This for my setup is the outside edges, with the tweets inside.
The wood wing is basically just laying on the edge in the small nock created by the backand wood trim panels meeting. It is just resting in that groove, with a bit of packing tape holding the top tight, and the extra board is actually to the ground, and the top just perfect height at six foot.
So it gave a LOT more bass, and too much in fact.
So i ran to Menards and grabbed a pair of same red oak boards, but 5.5 inches wide, and tried those and they are just right.
(I took back the 'four' inch wide boards as not enough.)

I like the setup with the boards sticking straight out off the bass side.
With the speaker not moved at all.
The nice thing about Maggie bass is that it is not booming through the walls etc to annoy my neighbors.
So i now enjoy a more realistic bass without it being too much, just more natural, (considering how I squeeze it with my powerline conditioners)

I may get some boards cut to screw right in to the space the original trim is in, and the width I want. (about five additional inches off the bass side)
I am not yet certain i will do this yet... Being lazy as can be, the current sloppy application works.. and that may be enough for my needs.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2011, 05:46 am by Elizabeth »