What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

Asimov

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #5600 on: 7 Dec 2013, 04:49 pm »

Elvin Jones : Time Capsule

Asimov

« Reply #5601 on: 7 Dec 2013, 05:15 pm »

Elvin Jones : Puttin' It Together

EarPal

« Reply #5602 on: 7 Dec 2013, 05:33 pm »

Juan Amalbert's Latin Jazz Quintet - The Chant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrIcITrHmHg

Asimov

« Reply #5603 on: 8 Dec 2013, 03:08 pm »

Lonnie Smith, George Benson, Ron Carter, Joe Lovano : Afrodesia

EarPal

« Reply #5604 on: 8 Dec 2013, 03:33 pm »

The Best Of The Modern Jazz Quartet

EarPal

« Reply #5605 on: 8 Dec 2013, 04:32 pm »

Walt Dickerson Quartet - Impressions Of A Patch Of Blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53nWb1ccDG0

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5606 on: 8 Dec 2013, 06:28 pm »
Had a chap over for a listen and he didn't know much about modern bass players or playing.  I introduced him to LaFaro on Bill Evan's Live at The Village Vanguard and later-to-come Eddie Gomez on Chick Corea's Three Quartets album.  What LaFaro did for new possibilities for his instrument may be unprecedented.  Like Gomez, Richard Davis and Cecil McBee are two other bassists whose playing is huge.  Corea's under appreciated Three Quartets album will nail you to the back of your chair.
Thought I would expand a little on Chick Corea's Three Quartets album for some of youse benefit.  If you can, download and listen to track two from side two.  Turn it up and fasten your safety belt.  The playing of Corea, bassist Gomez, and drummer Steve Gadd on this 12 minute track is both brilliant and intense.  Hard to believe there is only three guys creating this hurricane of force.  Something we all usually take for granted is a drummer's kick drum.  On this it is almost a fourth man.  Gomez use of vibrato gives his playing an almost singing quality.  And then, enter Michael Brecker on tenor sax.  This is a meeting of the minds and playing skills the likes of which are unprecedented in my experience.  The difference between this band and Coltrane's legendary quartet I dare say is bassist Gomez and drummer Gadd's intragral* playing.  None of the tracks, in fact, disappoint.  Six stars out of five.

*no such word in the dictionary that I can find but upon listening to this you may, like me, think there should be.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5607 on: 8 Dec 2013, 10:17 pm »
^ Bravo! Very nice review Jim, a very fine album.

I bought the lp when it came out in '81 and I have played it on a regular basis ever since. I wonder if they ever toured together? I know they didn't play Chicago because I would have been there for sure.

Cheers!  :thumb:

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5608 on: 8 Dec 2013, 10:25 pm »
Howard Roberts  ~  Mr. Roberts Plays Guitar

Verve

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5609 on: 8 Dec 2013, 11:01 pm »
New York Jazz Sextet

Scepter

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5610 on: 8 Dec 2013, 11:47 pm »
The Bill Evans Trio  ~  Since We Met

Recorded in Performance at The Village Vanguard

Fantasy

with Eddie Gomez & Marty Morell

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5611 on: 9 Dec 2013, 02:20 am »
^ Bravo! Very nice review Jim, a very fine album.

I bought the lp when it came out in '81 and I have played it on a regular basis ever since. I wonder if they ever toured together? I know they didn't play Chicago because I would have been there for sure.

Cheers!  :thumb:
They played in a downtown club in New York that was televised on the PBS network a few years ago.  You have me wondering if such a video can be found and watched.  Think we oughta check and see.  I believe it was Corea's birthday.

He ya go . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3zJftxoSnk.  Enjoy.

Asimov

« Reply #5612 on: 9 Dec 2013, 03:33 am »

Oscar Peterson : Plays The Jerome Kern Song Book

Asimov

« Reply #5613 on: 9 Dec 2013, 12:50 pm »

Gene Harris : Live at Otter Crest

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5614 on: 9 Dec 2013, 02:21 pm »
They played in a downtown club in New York that was televised on the PBS network a few years ago.  You have me wondering if such a video can be found and watched.  Think we oughta check and see.  I believe it was Corea's birthday.

He ya go . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3zJftxoSnk.  Enjoy.

Thanks Jim, very nice!! I'll have to watch that soon! I guess the "Three Quartets" lp is loosely based on the "Friends" lp from '78 with Farrell in place of Brecker. I'll have to revisit that one also.

I did a search and June was the last time I played it and it was on Chick's birthday.

Happy 72nd Birthday Chick! One amazing musician to say the least!

Chick Corea ~ Three Quartets

Columbia

with Michael Brecker, Eddie Gomez & Steve Gadd from '81

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5615 on: 9 Dec 2013, 05:03 pm »
Cap'n, Chick explains the concept on the intro to the video.  You know, guys will embellish things for a live audience as on the video to the point of becoming superfluous.  The music on the album is more compact and powerful.  IMO.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5616 on: 9 Dec 2013, 06:13 pm »
Cap'n, Chick explains the concept on the intro to the video.  You know, guys will embellish things for a live audience as on the video to the point of becoming superfluous.  The music on the album is more compact and powerful.  IMO.

I was thinking concept as far as line-up, not composition. I'm not a fan reunions, of course this was probably more of a fun get together for them and it might have been the last gig with Corea & Brecker together.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5617 on: 9 Dec 2013, 09:14 pm »
I was thinking concept as far as line-up, not composition. I'm not a fan reunions, of course this was probably more of a fun get together for them and it might have been the last gig with Corea & Brecker together.
It very well may have been.  Gomez looks like a pup on the album picture and more like an old man in the video.  Holy smokes, he is propulsive on the album!

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #5618 on: 10 Dec 2013, 08:00 pm »
R.I.P. Jim . . . .

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5619 on: 10 Dec 2013, 09:05 pm »

Boy, I'm glad I own this.  Met her once.  She sat right behind me at a Cannonball Adderly gig in SF.  You should, too.  Very good sounding with very good accompaniment.