What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

Asimov

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #2680 on: 28 Nov 2012, 08:48 am »
Grachan Moncur III - Evolution

Asimov

« Reply #2681 on: 28 Nov 2012, 09:18 am »
Horace Silver - Doin' The Thing - At the Village Gate

Asimov

« Reply #2682 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:26 pm »
The Horace Silver Quintet plus J. J. Johnson - The Cape Verdean Blues

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2683 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:23 pm »
Asimov-  Hi.  Those last three posts of yours are good stuff, indeed.  I take it you enjoyed those.

Asimov

« Reply #2684 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:28 pm »
Jimmy Smith - The Sermon!

Asimov

« Reply #2685 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:33 pm »
Asimov-  Hi.  Those last three posts of yours are good stuff, indeed.  I take it you enjoyed those.

Hi. Nice to see you around.
Yeah .... those are good stuff.
I'm waiting for your post.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2686 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:55 pm »
Check out Toyko Live by Anthony "Tony" Williams.  He is the drummer on Andrew Hill's Point of Departure.  The former was recorded later in his career when he put the jazz-rock-fusion category on the map*.  Tony was a phenom drummer.  Miles Davis hired him when he was 18.  He can be heard live with Miles on Miles in Europe or Miles In Toyko (Columbia).  Cheers. 

*Soft Machine is another great band in this category and an album of special merit is John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana's Love, Devotion, Surrender.  The last track kills . . 

:rock:

Asimov

« Reply #2687 on: 28 Nov 2012, 03:51 pm »
Check out Toyko Live by Anthony "Tony" Williams.  He is the drummer on Andrew Hill's Point of Departure.  The former was recorded later in his career when he put the jazz-rock-fusion category on the map*.  Tony was a phenom drummer.  Miles Davis hired him when he was 18.  He can be heard live with Miles on Miles in Europe or Miles In Toyko (Columbia).  Cheers. 

*Soft Machine is another great band in this category and an album of special merit is John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana's Love, Devotion, Surrender.  The last track kills . . 

:rock:

Tony is great but I don't have Tokyo Live  :(
I love Santana and have "Love,Devotion and Surrender" album and the last track is "Naima" ... really nice.
Now listening to Tony Williams Lifetime - "Believe It".

Asimov

« Reply #2688 on: 28 Nov 2012, 03:55 pm »
Manfred Schoof Quintet - Resonance

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2689 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:37 pm »
Tony is great but I don't have Tokyo Live  :(
I love Santana and have "Love,Devotion and Surrender" album and the last track is "Naima" ... really nice.
Now listening to Tony Williams Lifetime - "Believe It".
Good man.  I made a mistake.  The McLaughlin/Santana tune I wanted you to que up is "The Life Divine" :oops:

Have not heard Resonance.  I have and treasure Scales.   

Asimov

« Reply #2690 on: 28 Nov 2012, 05:28 pm »
Good man.  I made a mistake.  The McLaughlin/Santana tune I wanted you to que up is "The Life Divine" :oops:

Have not heard Resonance.  I have and treasure Scales.

You have reminded me of Santana and now listening to Supernatural ..... taking a short break from jazz :)

Asimov

« Reply #2691 on: 28 Nov 2012, 06:58 pm »
Marcus Roberts Trio - Time And Circumstance

Asimov

« Reply #2692 on: 29 Nov 2012, 04:20 am »
McCoy Tyner - Expansions

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2693 on: 29 Nov 2012, 07:31 am »

Buddy Rich Big Band- "Keep The Customer Satisfied"

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2694 on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:59 pm »

The Modern Jazz Quartet:  Plastic Dreams   1971 Warner Atlantic Japanese pressing

Asimov

« Reply #2695 on: 29 Nov 2012, 04:46 pm »
Ted Curson - Tears For Dolphy

Theodore "Ted" Curson (June 3, 1935 – November 4, 2012) was a jazz trumpeter. He is perhaps best known for recording and performing with Charles Mingus.

Curson was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He became interested in playing trumpet after watching a newspaper salesman play a silver trumpet. Curson's father, however, preferred that Ted become an alto saxophone player like Louis Jordan. Finally, when Ted was 10 years old, he received a "raggedy" trumpet.

Curson attended Granoff Musical Conservatory. At the suggestion of Miles Davis, he moved to New York in 1956. Curson performed and recorded with Cecil Taylor in the late 1950s and early 1960s. His 1964 composition "Tears for Dolphy" has been used in the films Teorema, Last Date, and The Brown Bunny.

Curson was a resident of Montclair, New Jersey. He was also a familiar face in Finland, having performed annually at the Pori Jazz festival each year since the beginning of the event in 1966. In 2007, Curson performed at Finland's Independence Day Ball at the invitation of president Tarja Halonen.

Curson died on November 4, 2012 in New Jersey.

mjosef

« Reply #2696 on: 30 Nov 2012, 12:55 am »
Picked this up last Sat. at the concert...

Coming off the heels of This Brings Us To Volume 2, Tomorrow Sunny/The Revlery, Spp is the sound of Zooid branching out and out some more. They’re becoming more somber and melodic, more edgy and chaotic, softer and louder, seemingly all at once. If Zooid have already come into their own, then they are sprawling into someone else’s own now. Henry Threadgill’s time-tested compositional manner of throwing out the traditional jazz chart has left room for this band to make great strides. As Threadgill, Ellman, Davilla, Hoffman, Takeishi and Kavee have all learned to improvise together without soloing, they somehow unlocked a door to jazz’s future. On the surface, the last three Zooid albums all sound similar. To anyone other than a Henry Threadgill fan, they all sound like a bunch of notes. But any music worth its weight in salt demands closer listening before you make a final call, and Tomorrow Sunny/The Revelry, Spp gives such a lucid look at all that swims below the surface ...
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/160510-henry-threadgill-zooid-tomorrow-sunnythe-revelry-spp/

Ambient Pressure Thereby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgGj-UcCBns

Henry Threadgill Zooid :Tomorrow Sunny & The Revelry

Asimov

« Reply #2697 on: 30 Nov 2012, 03:14 am »
Antonio Carlos Jobim (Tribute), Oleta Adams, Lee Ritenour, Al Jarreau  - A Twist Of Jobim 

Asimov

« Reply #2698 on: 30 Nov 2012, 04:58 am »
Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes Of Rita

Anouar Brahem (Arabic: أنور ابراهم) is a Tunisian oud (middle eastern lute) player and composer who is widely regarded as an innovator in his field. Performing for primarily a jazz audience, he fuses arabic classical music, folk music and jazz and has been recording since at least 1991 after becoming prominent in his own country in the late 1980s.

Brahem began studying the oud at age 10 under the tutelage of Ali Sitri at the National Conservatory of Music in Tunisia. In 1987, after six years in Paris, he spent two years as the director of the Ensemble Musical De Ia Ville De Tunis. ECM released his first album (not counting a cassette self-release in his youth) in 1991, called Barzakh.

In playing style, Anouar Brahem is often compared to Rabih Abou-Khalil, though his compositions tend to be more mellow and spare. Most often he utilizes an ensemble of three or four musicians. He has collaborated throughout his career and on several albums with other musicians: Tunisian percussionist Lassad Hosni and violinist Bechir Selmi and Turkish clarinetist Barbaros erkose. He has also performed live concerts with these same ensembles. In addition to these, he worked together with many jazz musicians such as Jan Garbarek, Dave Holland and John Surman. Brahem also played with Paola Damiani's Orchestre National De Jazz. In his last album, Le Voyage De Sahar (2006), he has come together again with  pianist Francois Couturier and accordionist Jean-Louis Matinier . Couturier and Matinier - two very talented musicians- played before in Brahem's Le Pas Du Chat Noir (2002).

Asimov

« Reply #2699 on: 30 Nov 2012, 05:55 am »
Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, Gonzalo Rubalcaba - The Montreal Tapes