Bicycling On-the-Road

jonwb

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #600 on: 19 May 2011, 07:46 pm »
Jon, they say you should incorporate running into your training because the impact is good for your bones.  If you only do non-impact activities (running, swimming, etc.) you can lose bone density.  This is common among cyclists who only ride the bike.  Too much of a good thing is rarely a good thing! 

I'm trying to get some work done so I can sneak out for a ride today.  It's been a long day and I need to get out!

Cheers,

J

That's an interesting point jackman.  I hadn't heard that before.  Makes sense tho...

We have pretty nice weather here (Milwaukee area) today so I suspect you do too.  Have a good ride! (I'm going to the dentist!)

jackman

« Reply #601 on: 20 May 2011, 01:39 am »
Tonight's ride.  Feeling good and getting faster.  My average speed should have been over 20 mph but I didn't turn off the computer when we did a slow couple miles around the neighborhood to address some minor mechanical problems I was having with my FD/dropped chain.  Also, more importantly, my average watts were affected but I was still close to 200 so I"m not complaining.  200 watt average is my goal. 

Garmin:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86728250

jackman

« Reply #602 on: 21 May 2011, 04:14 pm »
Garmin data from today's ride.  I feel great and have lots of gas in the tank for tomorrow's ride.  Wind today was brutal but it was a cross wind for some of the ride home.  Great workout and I think I'm getting stronger.  Finished with the faster guys today but I think they were taking it easy at the end.  :green:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87016868

jonwb

« Reply #603 on: 21 May 2011, 04:46 pm »
Those are a couple nice rides there jackman!  Its always nice when the winter form starts turning to summer form.  Earlier the better.  I was hoping to squeeze in a ride today, but w/ this weather its not looking good.  :cry:  Probably a good day to give my bike a little love.  I bought some new tires that I need to get put on.  Probably due for a good chain cleaning too.

Doublej

« Reply #604 on: 21 May 2011, 06:58 pm »
Jon, they say you should incorporate running into your training because the impact is good for your bones.  If you only do non-impact activities (running, swimming, etc.) you can lose bone density.  This is common among cyclists who only ride the bike.  Too much of a good thing is rarely a good thing! 

I'm trying to get some work done so I can sneak out for a ride today.  It's been a long day and I need to get out!

Cheers,

J

If it's weight bearing it's good for your bones. So work in 20 minutes of stand up pedaling during your ride and your bones will love you for it...a hill here a hill there...

jackman

« Reply #605 on: 22 May 2011, 03:15 pm »
Garmin data from today's ride.  Average speed was the same as yesterdays (slightly faster) and distance was exactly the same.  Avg. watts were WAY lower than yesterday because I drafted with a group.  This is why a Powertap is important or at least why a power meter is important.  Today's ride was very easy and I hardly worked but without power data, it looks equal to yesterday's ride on paper.  Not slacking, it was basically a recovery ride.   :thumb:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87260521

jonwb

« Reply #606 on: 23 May 2011, 02:26 am »
Certainly a nice day for a ride jackman!  I had too much junk to take care of around the house to get out.  Eventually, I got some time, but the weather was turning so I worked on my bike a bit.  Swapped out the tires for some new ones I bought and gave the drivetrain a good cleaning.  Here are some pics of my "rig":

Its a classic, but it works!

jackman

« Reply #607 on: 23 May 2011, 03:13 am »
Hey, nothing like a nice clean chain! My chain is pretty dan but my bike is dirty from all of the dead worms and slop caked on my downtube.  I rode with some very fast guys today and got dropped on the way home. They were much too fast for me to keep up. It's good to gauge how far I have to go before I can hang with the big boys.

Cheers

J

jonwb

« Reply #608 on: 23 May 2011, 03:45 am »

1.  Picture should be in front of white garage door  :nono: (must be a rule because 99% of posters seem to follow it).
2.  Picture should be of drive side.  :nono:
3.  Chain on the large front ring and middle rear ring (you did well on this I think).
4.  No reflectors or saddle bag or dork disk.  :thumb: (again, you did well).
5.  Flip stem (no need to flip yours it appears to be nice and low).
6.  Cranks at 3-9:00 position (nice). 

That's all I can remember.  Even though you flaunted the rules, you did well!

Crap! I forgot about the rules!  :duh:

Let's see:

1. My garage door is green.  I never had a chance w/ that one.
2. Check!
3. Half credit?
4. Check!
5. I know my stem is "up" not "down", but it helps w/ my reach.
6. and check!

Not too bad  :lol:

Levi

« Reply #609 on: 23 May 2011, 11:27 pm »
Has anyone here experienced long shipping delay from ProBikeKit?  I have been waiting for my purchased items for 3 weeks now.  Not to mention, every time I buy from UK Citibank charges me international fees which I don't mind. It is the waiting that kills me. 

On the other hand, ordering from Wiggle and Chainreaction Cycles to name a few, only took less than a week. The difference is both uses Parcel Force which also has tracking.

Keep riding those bikes!
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 02:20 am by Levi »

BikeWNC

« Reply #610 on: 24 May 2011, 02:03 am »
It fun to see some Garmin files posted here.  I got out over the weekend for a local organized metric on Sat. and then a hill climb from town on Sun.  Around the 1:35 mark on the Sunday ride the legs gave out and Elvis left the building.  I limped up to the top of the climb from there. 

It's interesting on the elevation data, my friend has an 800 also and while we show the same start, max and min elevations, his Garmin has 200' more total gain.  You would think they would be more in line with each other than that.

Here are the files for fun if interested.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87141201
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87656578

Andy

jackman

« Reply #611 on: 24 May 2011, 02:22 am »
Has anyone here experienced long shipping delay from ProBikeKit?  I have been waiting for my purchased items for 3 weeks now.  Not to mention, every time I buy from UK Citibank charges me international fees which I don't mind. It is the waiting that kills me. 

On the other hand, ordering from Wiggle and Chainreaction Cycles to name a few, only took less than a week. The difference is both uses Parcel Force which also has tracking.

Keep riding this bikes!

Yikes!  I have bought lots of stuff from PBK and it always ships quickly.  I mainly buy tires and tubes and some sweet Sidi shoes along with some base layers Craft and small goods. So far my longest wait is two weeks. I'd email them and complain. They are usually pretty good. 

Good luck

J

LadyDog

« Reply #612 on: 24 May 2011, 02:25 am »
Andy,
Thanks for posting.  Always interesting to see the Gamin stuff.  May need to look into one myself someday.

Levi,
PBK seems to be hit or miss on the shipping.  Some get some in a week or so, others have waited like you for weeks.  May have missed it, but what did you order?

jackman

« Reply #613 on: 24 May 2011, 02:28 am »
It fun to see some Garmin files posted here.  I got out over the weekend for a local organized metric on Sat. and then a hill climb from town on Sun.  Around the 1:35 mark on the Sunday ride the legs gave out and Elvis left the building.  I limped up to the top of the climb from there. 

It's interesting on the elevation data, my friend has an 800 also and while we show the same start, max and min elevations, his Garmin has 200' more total gain.  You would think they would be more in line with each other than that.

Here are the files for fun if interested.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87141201
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87656578

Andy

That's a lot if climbing. I can't fault your legs got going out,  that's some rough stuff.  I struggle with the winds but don't have any hills like that to contend with. Lucky me, chubby dudes and hills do not go well together!

Levi

« Reply #614 on: 24 May 2011, 02:35 am »
Hi Jeff, Something must have changed.  Because I used to get my orders in a week.  Now, I always had to wait over 3 weeks. 

I ordered several bike Bibs and Jerseys. 

Levi,
PBK seems to be hit or miss on the shipping.  Some get some in a week or so, others have waited like you for weeks.  May have missed it, but what did you order?

jonwb

« Reply #615 on: 24 May 2011, 02:59 am »
Andy,
Thanks for posting.  Always interesting to see the Gamin stuff.  May need to look into one myself someday.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305.  I've had it for about 4 years now.  A few newer models (including some bike specific units) have come out since.  Good part is they still make the 305 and the price is much lower than the newer units.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Nice way to dip your toe into GPS for training w/o spending $400.  But the $400 units ARE slick!

sandbagger

« Reply #616 on: 24 May 2011, 12:17 pm »
I have the Edge 305, the bike version and its great, If you dont need the map while on the bike, the Edge 500 can be had for cheap and is great.

Here is my ride from Sat, actually felt good for most of it but the head wind on the way back was killer http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87071241

Levi

« Reply #617 on: 24 May 2011, 12:50 pm »
We did a group ride last Sunday with my Mountain Bike racing buddies.  We stopped at my buddies house for a quick BBQ and away we go!

80 + miles when it was all said and done. Now that was fun!

jackman

« Reply #618 on: 24 May 2011, 12:53 pm »
I was also going to add that you can get an Edge 500 relatively cheap if you shop around.  I like mine and it was very easy to set up on the bike.  Since I ride mostly on roads near my home, I don't need directions.  If you explore areas you are not familiar with, I would imagine directional GPS would be a useful feature. 

The 500 is compact, easy to read and easy to operate.  Just plug it into Garmin Connect after your rides and hit "Download New Info" button.  It stores all of your data and the system makes it easy to compare past rides.  I think I paid $250 for the whole thing with HR monitor and Cadence.  It's usually $50 cheaper if you don't get the HR/Cadence.  You can use any Ant+ HR or wireless cadence monitor with the 500 if you already have them. 

I stopped using my HR because I was tired of seeing those high numbers and it was messing with my speed.  Oh, and I misplaced the monitor and did not want to buy a new one.  Found it but haven't used  it for a long time.  The HR data on my Garmin Connect page is bogus, probably picked up from other riders in range of the unit. 

Cheers

PS - Levi, very fun looking group!  Sounds like you had a blast.  Also, some cool looking bikes in the mix.  80 miles is a great ride! 

sandbagger

« Reply #619 on: 24 May 2011, 01:00 pm »
Jack

If you go into setup you can turn off the HR monitor so you dont record bogus info.

I need to reinstall my cadence sensor and see if  I can get it to work right, I have had a hard time getting it to work with any reliability.   IF I can get it to work, the next ride it doesnt.