Bicycling On-the-Road

jmc207

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #360 on: 8 Nov 2010, 04:23 am »
178 rpm Max Bike Cadence? That's some spinning.

Levi

« Reply #361 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:39 pm »
I'm not aware that I can do that high of an rpm going downhill but it could be an instrumental glitch.  Don't know for sure.

178 rpm Max Bike Cadence? That's some spinning.

jackman

« Reply #362 on: 8 Nov 2010, 10:45 pm »
I'm not aware that I can do that high of an rpm going downhill but it could be an instrumental glitch.  Don't know for sure.

I always get a 180-200+ max cadence but have never actually seen it on the meter during a real ride.  You can make your cadence show really high numbers if you "rock" the pedals back and forth when you are coasting or on a downhill.  If you stradle pedals in the 3-9 o'clock position and rock them back and forth, the sensor thinks you are pedaling super fast.  Using this method, you can probably go over 250 rpm's but it's not accurate of course.

PhilNYC

« Reply #363 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:27 pm »
FYI - just installed my new Garmin Edge 800 this weekend.  I like it a lot!  Unfortunately, I've fallen a bit out of shape, so I'm a little embarrassed to share my first couple of rides with it from Garmin Connect... :oops:

BikeWNC

« Reply #364 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:41 pm »
You're not the only one.  My jeans are very tight these days.   :oops:

jackman

« Reply #365 on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:52 pm »
FYI - just installed my new Garmin Edge 800 this weekend.  I like it a lot!  Unfortunately, I've fallen a bit out of shape, so I'm a little embarrassed to share my first couple of rides with it from Garmin Connect... :oops:

Congrats on the new Garmin.  All of my bike-geek friends seem to hate the idea of a touch screen Garmin but I think the GPS functionality (directions!) is a real bonus.  I love the little 500 Edge but I miss having directions (the few times I ride alone).  I was lost once or twice, at night, and used my compass on the Edge to get home.  Directions would have been much better!

Don't be afraid to post your results.  Good or bad, you should be proud that you took the time to get on a bike and ride.   I have been slowed by an injury but I managed to do a couple spin classes to keep the legs pumping.

PhilNYC

« Reply #366 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:51 pm »
I tried to do the Rocket Ride this Sunday...was doing ok until a traffic jam split the peloton into 3 groups at around mile 7.  I got stuck in the second group, then burnt myself out crossing the gap to the lead group on the incline at mile 9.  Got dropped from the lead group after a couple of miles, but was able to hook up with a 2-man chase group til mile 15 before falling off in shame... took it easy for the next 10 miles going home from there :oops:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57446770

jackman

« Reply #367 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:59 pm »
I tried to do the Rocket Ride this Sunday...was doing ok until a traffic jam split the peloton into 3 groups at around mile 7.  I got stuck in the second group, then burnt myself out crossing the gap to the lead group on the incline at mile 9.  Got dropped from the lead group after a couple of miles, but was able to hook up with a 2-man chase group til mile 15 before falling off in shame... took it easy for the next 10 miles going home from there :oops:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57446770

Are you crazy?  I think you are too hard on yourself.  Looking at your time, you  are a fast rider.  Maybe not as fast as the guys you are racing against, but I wish I had your speed! 

Congrats.

J

PhilNYC

« Reply #368 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:06 pm »
Are you crazy?  I think you are too hard on yourself.  Looking at your time, you  are a fast rider.  Maybe not as fast as the guys you are racing against, but I wish I had your speed! 

Congrats.

J

Well, there's not a worse feeling you can have on a bike than to be giving it your all only to see the guys in front of you pulling away...  :( 

jackman

« Reply #369 on: 23 Nov 2010, 03:27 pm »
Well, there's not a worse feeling you can have on a bike than to be giving it your all only to see the guys in front of you pulling away...  :(

I am no stranger to that feeling... :oops:

Levi

« Reply #370 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:32 am »
Accept the fact Phil.  We are not getting any younger.  :lol:  You have to stop smoking cigarettes.    :duh:

I would like to great everyone Happy Thanksgiving! :wine:

jackman

« Reply #371 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:51 pm »
Accept the fact Phil.  We are not getting any younger.  :lol:  You have to stop smoking cigarettes.    :duh:

I would like to great everyone Happy Thanksgiving! :wine:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Phil smokes????  You have to be joking (I hope). 

Phil, I smoked until August '09 and liked it a lot.  I loved smoking and still miss that first smoke in the morning with my coffee.  That one wasn't the problem, it was the other 30-40 or so that followed it every day.  Quitting was tough but I would not be able to ride with my group if I continued to smoke.  They are too fast and I can barely keep up without the smokes. 

Every once in a while I miss cigarettes but I never regret giving them up. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #372 on: 25 Nov 2010, 09:10 pm »
I slowed down on smoking 2 years ago, then quit almost completely a year ago.  Still have an occasional one socially, but definitely regret it the day after....! :oops:

jackman

« Reply #373 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:19 pm »
Our poor thread is dying, like the leaves on the...oh, you know what I mean.  Anyway, if anyone is interested in a cool American made cool anodized aluminum bike, you should check out some of these closeouts from Mickey at Spooky cycles in Mass.   I hear Mickey's bikes are kick-ass and I think they look cool.  Much cooler than those Cannondale bikes everyone is in love with on Bikeforums.net.  Spooky bikes also makes great cyclecross bikes.  Mickey is updating the website and will have a fresh batch in the spring. 

Spooky is the last of the production (non custom) reasonably priced US made aluminum frames on the market.  And he is blowing out 52cm size if anyone is interested ($600 ish).  These are racing frames, not mass produced junk and are a great deal at twice the price.  There is something cool about riding a small production, hand made bike from a small shop like Spooky.  I'm getting one in the spring, when he starts making 56cm!

http://spookybikes.bigcartel.com/product/skeletor-closeout-frame-only

LadyDog

« Reply #374 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:05 am »
Agree Jack, Spooky frames rock.  Anyone looking for a great frame at a reasonable price, here you go. Especially makes a great frame for those looking for a racing bike and not wanting to beat up or risk their main bike.

Levi

« Reply #375 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:10 am »
Nice bike!  I thought Jack bought a new bike.  :)

jackman

« Reply #376 on: 2 Dec 2010, 05:50 am »
Agree Jack, Spooky frames rock.  Anyone looking for a great frame at a reasonable price, here you go. Especially makes a great frame for those looking for a racing bike and not wanting to beat up or risk their main bike.

Hey Jeff, I knew you would be familiar with Spooky!  I've been in touch with Mickey and he's a great guy.  I hear his frames are not like typical mass produced aluminum (which can be harsh).  Spooky bikes are supposed to be stiff without being rough riding.  His workmanship is great and Frake the Welder is known to work magic with his torch on Spooky bikes from time to time  My knee is fully recovered and I lost 10 lbs over the past month (stress!) but I have not been on a bike in weeks.  It's freezing cold and rainy with sleet in Chi-town.  Not my kind of riding weather.  Hopefully we will get a dry and above 35F day this weekend because i'm itching to ride. 

Levi, no new bike yet!  He only has 52" on sale and it's too small for me.  I love my bike but have been looking at Spooky bikes for a while.  He also makes some cool mountain bikes for very reasonable $$$.  I don't know if he has anything for sale at the moment but you never know!  These bikes are unique and ready to race!

Cheers,

J

Levi

« Reply #377 on: 2 Dec 2010, 01:52 pm »
Thanks Jack.  The only thing that catches my eyes are the welds.  I'd like smoother welds like the CAAD9/10 bikes.  The deep dish wheels helped lots with the looks.  My next build would be a 29er.  :)

BTW, Happy Birthday Phil!   :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #378 on: 2 Dec 2010, 11:51 pm »
Happy Birthday Phil!

Hi Levi, you are thinking about the old CAAD9's not the 10's.  The CAAD10 has normal looking welds and is made in Asia right along side GT and Schwinn (probably) because those are sister companies.  The Cannondale you knew is no more.  Either way, I would take a Spooky frame oveyninr any aluminum Cannondale, even the Caad9.  Spooky doesn't sand the welds and they look beautiful.  These are really nice bikes and very inexpensive. 

I'm not getting a 29" because I think I'll get more use out of a cyclecross bike.  Twentyniners are very cool but I would get more use out of a cross bike.  I live in IL and there aren't any technical trails. 

Best of luck.

J

Levi

« Reply #379 on: 3 Dec 2010, 02:51 pm »
I am totally talking about the new CAAD10.  :)  The welds are smooth which makes it a finished bike to my eyes that is.  If someone said it is carbon, I would probably believed it.  That's just me.

Anyway, good luck with the Spooky frame.  It looks like a great bike from pictures but if it does not fit you properly (geometry wise), you will be in a world of hurt and pain.

A few pictures here from BikeRadar and they look even better in person.

Spooky

Spooky Skeletor

Cheers!