Bicycling On-the-Road

LadyDog

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #300 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:34 am »
Since Levi started it  :green:, I have a top tier carbon frame that I am looking to part with that would go great with his gruppo.  Though I feel my frame only deserves the best from Campy.   :lol:

While I am serious about selling my frame.  The 6700 stuff is 85-90% of The Ace, at 50% the cost.  Very nice deal Levi.

Levi

« Reply #301 on: 29 Sep 2010, 01:41 am »
Sale is pending on the Ultegra 6700 groupo. ;)

LadyDog

« Reply #302 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:02 am »
Lucky dog, now if someone would only by my frame.

Levi

« Reply #303 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:44 am »
Thanks!

jackman

« Reply #304 on: 29 Sep 2010, 03:32 am »
Jeff has some awesome frames and He is a guy I trust.

That deal on the Ultegra was INSANELY GOOD.   Someone got the deal of a lifetime. I don't even need any gear and I almost bought it!

LadyDog

« Reply #305 on: 29 Sep 2010, 03:52 am »
Thanks for the sentiments Jack.  While I would love to sell my frame as I have something new coming in, I am in no need to "give" it away either.  Would make a great back-up bike if you ever get my way for a ride.  I'm also I firm believer that "fit" is king.  So if it does not fit, I would sell it to you just to make some coin.  Not sure that always happens in the audio world.

Btw, how is the knee. Hopefully you've contacted your fitter again.  While I'm sure hard to do, it may make sense to limit your miles to +/- 30 a ride until your body adjust to all the changes.  There were quite a few.

tybee

« Reply #306 on: 29 Sep 2010, 11:11 am »
Ladydog,

You did have a great deal on the Ultegra group, and I totally agree on fit.  Since my vintage custom frames do fit me, I have had one stretched in the rear to accommodate the current wheel axles with 10 speed.  I would have considered your Ultegra group, but I am putting DA on my custom Paisley.

Jackman, since I started riding again 5 weeks ago, I have dropped 18 pounds and I am starting to feel comfortable climbing the hills on my normal training rides.  With a good winter training program, I will be back to riding centuries in 2011.  I do miss the flatlands that you and Ladydog enjoy, but these Tennessee hills are getting me back in shape at a much faster rate.

mjosef

« Reply #307 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:38 am »
Hey Levi, I see that your winter fat has melted off...way to go man, you look like you could give Lance a run for his peddles.  :lol:

Levi

« Reply #308 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:40 am »
Ha!

Thanks for the complement Martin.  :thumb:

Hey Levi, I see that your winter fat has melted off...way to go man, you look like you could give Lance a run for his peddles.  :lol:

Levi

« Reply #309 on: 12 Oct 2010, 02:48 pm »
After 100 miles or so perhaps I am still getting used to the Fizik Antares.  ...Hmmm.  The Antares 0 with Carbon Braided rails are stiff and have more padding compared to the Selle Italia SLR carbon rails and Ti rails that I have.  The 0 has slightly wider on the rear too and weighs a few grams less.  The Antares 0 has wingflex technology that regular antares lacks. 

Durability? Only time will tell.  I know for sure the Antares 0 is definitely much more comfortable than my Selle Italia SLR on longer rides. 

Please note that saddles are personal thing...what works for me may or may not work for you.

Antares 0 installed

139 grams, not bad for the claimed weight of 135g

PhilNYC

« Reply #310 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:10 pm »
After 100 miles or so perhaps I am still getting used to the Fizik Antares.  ...Hmmm.  The Antares 0 with Carbon Braided rails are stiff and have more padding compared to the Selle Italia SLR carbon rails and Ti rails that I have.  The 0 has slightly wider on the rear too and weighs a few grams less.  The Antares 0 has wingflex technology that regular antares lacks. 

Durability? Only time will tell.  I know for sure the Antares 0 is definitely much more comfortable than my Selle Italia SLR on longer rides. 

Please note that saddles are personal thing...what works for me may or may not work for you.

I just bought the Selle Italia SLR... :oops:

baumer

« Reply #311 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:23 pm »
Levi,

Have you tried any of the other Fizik saddles? My LBS has an Arione that I can try out first, but I've been
on a waiting list for about a month now! I have a Gobi on my mtb bike that fits me great, but it's a hassle
switching it over every time I want to ride on the road!

Levi

« Reply #312 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:36 pm »
Hey Phil, I still use the Selle Italia SLR for my MTB.

My road bike came with the Fizik Pave and I think it is great but is too heavy. I also have the Gobi and hated it. I tried the Antares and so far over 200mi and loved it. The Antares allowed me to sit much lower (more aero) position.

They are personal thing.

PhilNYC

« Reply #313 on: 12 Oct 2010, 04:46 pm »
Hey Phil, I still use the Selle Italia SLR for my MTB.

My road bike came with the Fizik Pave and I think it is great but is too heavy. I also have the Gobi and hated it. I tried the Antares and so far over 200mi and loved it. The Antares allowed me to sit much lower (more aero) position.

They are personal thing.

I've been using a Selle Italia Flite saddle for as long as I can remember on both my road and mtn bike (I like to use the same saddle on both just for consistency).  After my crash earlier this year, my road saddle is a bit torn up...just thought I'd use that plus the new mtb as an excuse to try something new.  I figure that I'd stick with Selle Italia for the shape, so I picked up a pair of SLR's...will give them a go this weekend...

jackman

« Reply #314 on: 12 Oct 2010, 09:45 pm »
Phil, cool saddle.  I have an Arione with Kuim (sp?) rails.  It's the previous generation with wingflex shell but it's made of leather versus microtex.  Once I got my bike dialed in properly it was very comfortable (the saddle). 

You are correct, saddle fit is very personal and, because we are all built differently, a saddle that is comfy for one person might be uncomfortable for another.  Also, on poorly fit bike, a good saddle might feel uncomfortable!  This was the case with my Arione for a while.  My bars were too low, my seat was pointed up too far in the nose area and my saddle was too high.  The combination caused discomfort which I attributed to the saddle.  After correcting my fit, I'm very happy with the Arione's comfort.  Although, when I'm ready for a new one, I'm going to look at the Antares. 

I like the Arione because it's very long and gives you several riding positions.  It's not as wide as the Antares but works well for me.  Either way, I'm a fan of Fizik saddles and like the wing-flex technology.  I hate to call it "technology" when it's just a series of "cracks" in the shell that are scored and loosen up as your legs brush up against them during the break-in period.  Pretty simple but it works. 

I'm going for a ride this evening.  Haven't been on my bike since last Tuesday when I went out for a fast 37 mile ride with my group.  I was gritting my teeth (unintentionally) and, because of a slight high spot on my new crown, cut off blood circulation to one of the nerves in a molar.  Insanely painful things followed, including swelling of my face, etc.  All better and ready to ride! 

Cheers,

J

JoshK

« Reply #315 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:42 pm »
I am all questions today.  I have Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick tires (700x23) on my CAAD9.  They came with the bike.  Slick is the appropriate word when the road is a little wet.   I was coming down a hill and went to stop before an intersection in sprinkling conditions and my back wheel came out about 25º.  I managed to keep the rubber side down though. 

Maybe this is to be expected but the tires felt like riding on ice the few times i rode on wet roads.   Are there better tires?

Levi

« Reply #316 on: 14 Oct 2010, 12:57 pm »
Better tires?  Yes.  However, it will not solve the problem of running slicks on glass surface.  LOL!  When it is slippery outside, you can run less pressure. 

You can buy a nicer tire with more TPI which is above 120 and will give you a more supple, responsive and efficient ride quality.  Again, it will be slippery because the contact patch is so thin.  If at all possible, I won't ride when the roads are wet.  If you do get caught in the rain, just relax and slow a little.  Use your MTB instead.   :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #317 on: 14 Oct 2010, 01:05 pm »
The new Microtex leather Fizik uses doesn’t come from cows, but it’s softer than leather, won’t stretch like leather, hold odor like leather or hold water like leather. Using this material creates a stiff, comfortable, long lasting, breathable and very durable seats.  It has a combination of durability, grippiness, slip-proofness, and good looks.  Only time will tell.  So far so good.   :thumb:

Phil, cool saddle.  I have an Arione with Kuim (sp?) rails.  It's the previous generation with wingflex shell but it's made of leather versus microtex.  Once I got my bike dialed in properly it was very comfortable (the saddle). 

You are correct, saddle fit is very personal and, because we are all built differently, a saddle that is comfy for one person might be uncomfortable for another.  Also, on poorly fit bike, a good saddle might feel uncomfortable!  This was the case with my Arione for a while.  My bars were too low, my seat was pointed up too far in the nose area and my saddle was too high.  The combination caused discomfort which I attributed to the saddle.  After correcting my fit, I'm very happy with the Arione's comfort.  Although, when I'm ready for a new one, I'm going to look at the Antares. 

I like the Arione because it's very long and gives you several riding positions.  It's not as wide as the Antares but works well for me.  Either way, I'm a fan of Fizik saddles and like the wing-flex technology.  I hate to call it "technology" when it's just a series of "cracks" in the shell that are scored and loosen up as your legs brush up against them during the break-in period.  Pretty simple but it works. 

I'm going for a ride this evening.  Haven't been on my bike since last Tuesday when I went out for a fast 37 mile ride with my group.  I was gritting my teeth (unintentionally) and, because of a slight high spot on my new crown, cut off blood circulation to one of the nerves in a molar.  Insanely painful things followed, including swelling of my face, etc.  All better and ready to ride! 

Cheers,

J

jackman

« Reply #318 on: 14 Oct 2010, 03:09 pm »
I am all questions today.  I have Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick tires (700x23) on my CAAD9.  They came with the bike.  Slick is the appropriate word when the road is a little wet.   I was coming down a hill and went to stop before an intersection in sprinkling conditions and my back wheel came out about 25º.  I managed to keep the rubber side down though. 

Maybe this is to be expected but the tires felt like riding on ice the few times i rode on wet roads.   Are there better tires?

Hi Josh,
I absolutely love Continental GP4000 tires.  They are durable, have good traction, and a great ride.  They are made in Germany and very high quality.  Available at most bike shops along with 4 season version  that I have not tried.  I've converted 4 or 5 guys in my group to these after they tried mine.  I've got a couple thousand miles with no flats.  I use a 23 and they are much better riding than the Bontrager tires that came with the bike (25mm).

jackman

« Reply #319 on: 14 Oct 2010, 03:14 pm »
The new Microtex leather Fizik uses doesn’t come from cows, but it’s softer than leather, won’t stretch like leather, hold odor like leather or hold water like leather. Using this material creates a stiff, comfortable, long lasting, breathable and very durable seats.  It has a combination of durability, grippiness, slip-proofness, and good looks.  Only time will tell.  So far so good.   :thumb:

When my saddle is ready for replacement, I'll find out!  Fizik doesn't use leather on any saddles these days.  I've seen and felt the microtex and it looks very nice.  I've crashed a couple times and my leather held up pretty well (a couple scuffs).  The saddle is so comfortable, I hope it holds up a couple more years.  Unfortunately it doesn't have the cool clip system the new saddles have.  You can just snap in a light or a bag on the new one.  Mine is old school...

Cheers,

J

PS - good advice on the tires.  I forgot, you can run lower pressure in bad conditions.  Keep in mind, they are still skinny tires and you will never get the kind of traction in wet conditions you get on an MTB or Xcross bike.  I love the GP4000's but on a recent ride across some new, wet, tar coated parking lot in a rainstorm, I was on ice-skates!