Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #200 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:45 pm »
Thanks Josh.  It is a carbon frame.

SET Man

« Reply #201 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:54 am »
Hey!

Levi, you bought a road bike? Well, congratulation. Sound like some heavy bike there... price wise of course :lol: That will be perfect for the 5 NY boros bike tour. :D

Well, maybe we could take our road bike for spin around the city sometime.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #202 on: 14 Aug 2010, 10:35 am »
Thanks Buddy. You should join me one of these days.

Preparing to go for a spin with the new wheels. :)

SET Man

« Reply #203 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:42 pm »
Thanks Buddy. You should join me one of these days.

Preparing to go for a spin with the new wheels. :)

Hey!
      Will try but it will be hard to do since I ain't got job with regular 9 to 5 hours desk job with weekend off.   :?

And not to mention that you can ride longer than me now.  :icon_lol:

But maybe.... I was thinking of taking a ride down to Brooklyn along the bike path checking out neighborhoods and old building along the way. :D

Take care,

Levi

« Reply #204 on: 14 Aug 2010, 06:44 pm »
Sounds good. Just ride your bike whenever you get the chance. Sun sets much later nevertheless night rides are cool too.  No excuse for not riding.

jackman

« Reply #205 on: 14 Aug 2010, 08:21 pm »
You NYC guys have all of the fun!  Wish I could join you. 

I just changed jobs and it looks like I will be on the East Coast more often.  Will shoot you a PM with advance notice.  Please do the same if you are ever in the Chicago area.  There is some good riding around here but no hills. 

I rode 45 miles with my group today with relatively little knee pain.  The Sram Red shifts sweet.  I'm sold! 

It would really be great to join my AC friends for a road cycling trip.  Jeff, Levi, Josh, etc.  Cycling is a bit like audio.  You spend lots of time buying and evaluating gear and putting together your "system".  The only difference is that the bike "don't lie".  Speed and endurance have to be earned, with lots of sweat and hard work.  Today my group dropped some riders with much more exotic bikes (Colnago, etc.).  Have to admit it felt good!

Cheers,

Jack

PhilNYC

« Reply #206 on: 21 Aug 2010, 05:43 pm »
Just swapped out my pedals today...took out my Time RXS Carbons and replaced them with Look Keo 2 Max Carbons, and I have to say that I am impressed with the Looks.  Entry is *much* easier than the Times, and the platform/contact surface feels really solid.  I liked the Times, and they might be a hair lighter, but I think that ease-of-entry (no more playing catch-up with my group after stopping at intersections while trying to get into my pedals) and the contact platform definitely are worth the weight penalty. :thumb:

Btw - any local guys (Levi, Josh, SET Man, etc) interested in a road bike ride tomorrow AM?

jackman

« Reply #207 on: 21 Aug 2010, 05:47 pm »
Just swapped out my pedals today...took out my Time RXS Carbons and replaced them with Look Keo 2 Max Carbons, and I have to say that I am impressed with the Looks.  Entry is *much* easier than the Times, and the platform/contact surface feels really solid.  I liked the Times, and they might be a hair lighter, but I think that ease-of-entry (no more playing catch-up with my group after stopping at intersections while trying to get into my pedals) and the contact platform definitely are worth the weight penalty. :thumb:

Btw - any local guys (Levi, Josh, SET Man, etc) interested in a road bike ride tomorrow AM?

Very cool!  When my pedals go, these are high on my list.  I am having very bad knee pain and think I may need to go in for a scope.  Did a quick 40 mile ride with the group and spent the last 20 miles in severe pain. 

JoshK

« Reply #208 on: 21 Aug 2010, 07:29 pm »
Hey Phil,

I am planning to go on a beginner's ride at Jungle Habitat tomorrow with MTBNJ.  Want to come?  Do you have my number still?

Josh

Levi

« Reply #209 on: 21 Aug 2010, 08:35 pm »
Hey Phil, what time in the morning?  If I don't go to Blue Mountain tomorrow, I will ride road instead. 

Just to let you know, I am currently using CrankBros Egg Beater pedals.  It is perfect for stop-n-go street cruising.  I am looking at speedplay but I don't know much about them.  Well actually new to road riding.

Please let me know your plans. 

--Levi

PhilNYC

« Reply #210 on: 21 Aug 2010, 09:55 pm »
Very cool!  When my pedals go, these are high on my list.  I am having very bad knee pain and think I may need to go in for a scope.  Did a quick 40 mile ride with the group and spent the last 20 miles in severe pain.

Maybe you just need to adjust the cleat position on your shoe?  I spent some time on my ride this morning stopping and making adjustments until it felt right...

I am planning to go on a beginner's ride at Jungle Habitat tomorrow with MTBNJ.  Want to come?  Do you have my number still?

That's an off-road ride, right?  I'm still building up my new mtb frame (probably won't be done til September), so I'm not able to do trail-riding right now.

Hey Phil, what time in the morning?  If I don't go to Blue Mountain tomorrow, I will ride road instead.

Just to let you know, I am currently using CrankBros Egg Beater pedals.  It is perfect for stop-n-go street cruising.  I am looking at speedplay but I don't know much about them.  Well actually new to road riding.

Please let me know your plans. 

Am looking to hit the road around 8:30am.  If you want, we can even hang onto the Rocket Ride for a little bit, although today was my first day on a bike in about 3 weeks, so I don't know if I'm up for the whole 50 miles.  All this assuming it doesn't rain...

Are those EggBeaters road pedals?  I've tried the Speedplays and didn't like them all that much...not much contact surface area, and generally felt like being on ice-skates (probably good for people with really bad knees, tho)...

LadyDog

« Reply #211 on: 21 Aug 2010, 11:59 pm »
Jack,
As Phil mentions, your knee issues may be as simple as a cleat adjustment.  But go very minor if you you start to play with it.  Even better, speak with a fitter.  A while back I had some minor knee issues, and they were solved by a few spacers between my cleat and shoe.

Phil,
Glad you are enjoying the Looks.  They are pretty much all I use anymore.  But as with much in life, personal preference generally has a say.

SET Man

« Reply #212 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:38 am »

Hey!

Wish I could do that but I'm working weekend now  :cry:

Take care,

JoshK

« Reply #213 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:28 pm »
That's an off-road ride, right?  I'm still building up my new mtb frame (probably won't be done til September), so I'm not able to do trail-riding right now.

Yeah, it was off-road and super freaking slippery having just poured.  In fact it only stopped raining about 10 mins before pedaling and started pouring on us about 10 mins before we finished.  Got a good 1.5 hour window in between. 

I look like I went tumbling down the mountain.  I ate it a few times, no big falls, just a few minor ones but I go rash and bruises all over my forearms and shins.  It was a blast though.  That place is pretty damn technical and some places we had to walk it.

PhilNYC

« Reply #214 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:43 pm »
I thought it was generally frowned-upon to ride on wet/muddy trails...?

JoshK

« Reply #215 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:56 pm »
That is true when conditions get muddy, but this place has good drainage and other than a coupel of puddles there wasn't much mud.

PhilNYC

« Reply #216 on: 22 Aug 2010, 08:21 pm »
Cool...you will definitely have to take me there when my bike is ready! :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #217 on: 22 Aug 2010, 11:59 pm »
No rides for me because of rain forecast.  :)

Riding on rain is fun.  Just don't get sick afterwards. :lol:

PhilNYC

« Reply #218 on: 23 Aug 2010, 12:53 am »
If you guys are free to ride in the afternoons, I am free to ride on Monday/Tuesday/Friday this week after 3pm...am happy to have you guys come over and hit the roads...

Levi

« Reply #219 on: 23 Aug 2010, 03:18 am »
Hey Phil, anyway we can meet halfway?  I am thinking about riding from Queens to GWB.