Bicycling On-the-Road

PhilNYC

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #180 on: 8 Aug 2010, 04:39 pm »
If I were to drive up to the 9W to go on a longer ride, where is a good place to park/start?

A lot of guys park around Strictly Bikes bike shop in Fort Lee...

http://www.strictlybicycles.com/
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2010, 11:20 am by PhilNYC »

tybee

« Reply #181 on: 8 Aug 2010, 08:13 pm »
Jeff,

I have acquired enough backup components to outfit my current herd to last a lifetime.  Since I really enjoy the older steel frames, there is not much interest in going new.  My customs do not really have many miles, so they will serve most of riding.  All of my wheels support freewheels (no cassettes).  My freewheel stash includes 10 Reginas, 4 Dura Ace, and 12 Suntour Ultras. Almost all are new purchased on sale years ago for less that $10 a piece.

Yesterday morning, I did a solo 20 miles over Tennessee terrain that reminds me of the first day of the Hilly Hundred held up your way.  I understand Skip Higgins is still running the Hilly.  When he started riding seriously again in the early 80s, I rode with him many miles on those flat Indiana roads

JoshK

« Reply #182 on: 8 Aug 2010, 09:02 pm »
well, I've ridden 6 out of the last 9 days.  It feels good, comfortable and energizing.  I'm only doing 10-13 miles, but its a start.  The biggest problem is finding places to ride that aren't full of traffic. 

Today's ride was only about 9 miles because my friend wasn't feeling well.  I started him out on a long climb about 3/4 mile into the ride.   He is my normal riding buddy but I've been going more often than him and he is less in shape.  He also rides a hybrid bike that has a hard time keeping up with mine.

Then again, he has a hard time keeping up with me when I ride my MTB on road.  He is 240 and I'm ~170 (been a while since I weighed myself since I don't have a scale).  He's also a smoker.

« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2010, 12:59 pm by JoshK »

ooheadsoo

« Reply #183 on: 8 Aug 2010, 09:08 pm »
Good of you to keep pace with him, especially if you want to keep him as a riding buddy.  I know I wouldn't want to ride with a buddy who took off on me all the time.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #184 on: 9 Aug 2010, 04:52 am »
Talking about disappointing rides, I went out for a fast solo-ride yesterday on a flat 30 mile route...ended up getting two flats in the first 17 miles, broke my pump on the second which forced me to call the support car (wife) to pick me up... :oops:

And you talking about tires Phil.... :duh: :jester:

(I'm kidding with you Phil.. :wink:)

PhilNYC

« Reply #185 on: 9 Aug 2010, 10:45 am »
And you talking about tires Phil.... :duh: :jester:

(I'm kidding with you Phil.. :wink:)

:lol:

LadyDog

« Reply #186 on: 9 Aug 2010, 11:14 am »
Tybee,
Certainly understand your love for steel, and for the classic bike.  I still keep one in my arsenal of bikes. 

Yes Skip is still the managing director of the Hilly.  Which about the only hilld you find in flat Indy.

Jack - I'm sure your fitter with help you out, but go easy with the cleat changes.  Too much adjustments may cause more knee pain.

JoshK

« Reply #187 on: 9 Aug 2010, 01:09 pm »
I need to find a longer ride somewhere easily accessible so I can hit it after work during the week.  A bit of a challenge. 

BikeWNC

« Reply #188 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:27 pm »
A friend and I rode Sat. on what I called the fat burner ride  8), a long zone 2- low 3 effort with 10,000ft of climbing.  The actual mileage was 105.5 at a 13.25 mph average. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43545304

jackman

« Reply #189 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:57 pm »
A friend and I rode Sat. on what I called the fat burner ride  8), a long zone 2- low 3 effort with 10,000ft of climbing.  The actual mileage was 105.5 at a 13.25 mph average. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43545304

Nice ride!  I took yesterday off, still nursing a sore knee.  Hopefully, I can get a ride in tonight.  Knee is still sore but getting better. 

I wish we had hills like the ones you rode.  Everything around here is very flat.  105 miles with those hills must have been tough.  Great ride.

Thanks,

J

bunnyma357

« Reply #190 on: 9 Aug 2010, 03:09 pm »
I need to find a longer ride somewhere easily accessible so I can hit it after work during the week.  A bit of a challenge.

You might check with local cycling or randonneuring club websites, they'll often have routes that are good training rides on less travelled roads listed.

Jim C

LadyDog

« Reply #191 on: 10 Aug 2010, 03:11 pm »
I have new build coming soon, so I felt somewhat compelled to give it some new shoes.

We'll see how well they hold up to my +/- 185lbs.

BikeWNC

« Reply #192 on: 10 Aug 2010, 08:23 pm »
I have new build coming soon, so I felt somewhat compelled to give it some new shoes.

It looks like those are tubulars.  I've considered getting a tubular wheelset but I ride in remote areas often without cell service, so I've decided to stick with a good pair of clinchers.  The weight is very attractive though. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #193 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:10 am »

One of my riding buddies just picked up the EA/clincher version of those wheels and loves them...however, he is much lighter than you (130lbs)....

LadyDog

« Reply #194 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:10 am »
Phil,
Yea, time will tell.  But I got the wheels at such a good price they were hard to pass up.  If I need to sell them in a few months because I'm too fat, I'll not lose much.

WNC,
I'll probably piss off the tire gods and jinx myself, but I've had much better luck with sewups than clinchers.  Actually think it is just as easy to change a tubular while out on the road.  You can really even ride short distances on a flat and not damage the rim.  Saving the extra 1/2 - 1lb of rotating mass sure is nice too. 

Levi

« Reply #195 on: 11 Aug 2010, 10:11 pm »
While on vacation (still am), I fell in love with a Wilier T one.  It was $8k.  For half the price I bought a Cervelo R3. :lol:

Hey Phil, I will be visiting you soon on my road training days!  :)

jackman

« Reply #196 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:34 pm »
While on vacation (still am), I fell in love with a Wilier T one.  It was $8k.  For half the price I bought a Cervelo R3. :lol:

Congrats on the new bike.   I've never ridden a Cervelo, but I see lots of them in the area where I ride.  They seem to be popular with the triathletes who ride the roads west of my house.  One of the guys in my group has a Wilier Cento (with full Sram Red and Zipp 404's) and I'm a big fan of the bike. 

I just upgraded my bike to Sram Red shifters and deraileurs (and minor things like chain and cables).  Shimano 105 was great for the money but now I understand why so many people love Sram.  The Red gear shifts like a Ferrari and looks pretty cool (IMO). 

Cheers,

J

PhilNYC

« Reply #197 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:16 am »

Cervelo???  I will raise my hand as one of those guys who is not a big Cervelo fan.  Admittedly, part of it comes from really disliking the local bike shop near me that carries Cervelo (the sales guy actually had the guts to say to me "Cervelo bikes are 15% faster than any other bike on the market") :duh:  But I also thought that because you have such a beautiful Merlin mountain bike that you might get something a little more off the beaten track...

Anyways, congrats on the bike!  Definitely come over for a ride in my area...great roads!  But not this weekend as I am headed to Colorado for the Leadville 100.... :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #198 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:20 am »
Thanks Jackman!   

@Phil, Thanks! 

There are lots of bikes out there to choose on a $5-6K budget.  Why I choose Cervelo is a matter of personal taste and riding preference.  On smooth road, the Cervelo R3 is ultimately way faster than my Merlin MTB.  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #199 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:17 pm »
Congrats on the new bike Levi.  That should be quite a bit faster on the roads.  What's the frame made of, carbon?