Bicycling On-the-Road

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1220 on: 30 Jul 2013, 01:29 pm »

LadyDog

« Reply #1221 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:12 pm »
Levi,
Fortunate enough to have and have had a few bikes over the years.  Currently using TRP's, Bontrager's, and my trusty Dura Ace 7700's.  All three of them are nice brakes.  Not the lightest, not the most powerful, not the best in modulation, but all a very good compromises of that criteria.

Always been a big fan of Dura Ace's brakes, so I have no doubt the 9 series is great.  Have a few friends who also have them, and it is all raves.

Agree George, just ride.  But toys are fun.  Glad to hear the weight is still coming off.  Any triathlons coming up?

jackman

« Reply #1222 on: 30 Jul 2013, 10:24 pm »
Shims no brakes are excellent, especially the new DA.  I like SRAM as well and fortunately live in a part of the country that is relatively flat so I am okay with any decent brakes.

I went to my local bike shop and messed around with a new CAAD 10 with dura ace. Very nice bike and it has me thinking about an acquisition.  My Pilot is a grandpa bike and is not sexy in any way but it fits me like a glove and is so damn comfortable to ride.  It rides like a Cadillac even on the bad chip and seal roads around here and I can ride for 5 hours plus with no discomfort.  Make me have second thoughts about making a change.  This bike is like a moderately attractive woman who cooks and has a good body...

JoshK

« Reply #1223 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:24 am »
I have a CAAD 9 and I wouldn't call it super comfy.  Its ok.  Never got it properly and seriously fit, just the in shop fit.  The aluminum frame is a teeth rattler.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1224 on: 1 Aug 2013, 08:46 pm »
Levi,
Fortunate enough to have and have had a few bikes over the years.  Currently using TRP's, Bontrager's, and my trusty Dura Ace 7700's.  All three of them are nice brakes.  Not the lightest, not the most powerful, not the best in modulation, but all a very good compromises of that criteria.

Always been a big fan of Dura Ace's brakes, so I have no doubt the 9 series is great.  Have a few friends who also have them, and it is all raves.

Agree George, just ride.  But toys are fun.  Glad to hear the weight is still coming off.  Any triathlons coming up?

Didn't mean to imply that toys aren't fun or that shaving a few grams isn't good.  :green:

I know my "new" bike can be upgraded to with the newest Ultegra or Dura Ace 11 speed components.  Maybe that's how I'll treat myself next year for completing Olympic and/or Half Iron Man triathlons   :thumb:

As for August and September...I am targeting 1-2 more Sprint triathlons.  After that, it is off to the body shop for my 6th surgery on my left knee.   :cry:

George

LadyDog

« Reply #1225 on: 1 Aug 2013, 09:56 pm »
No worries George.   

Sorry to hear about the knee.

jackman

« Reply #1226 on: 3 Sep 2013, 01:05 am »
Intervals on the trainer yesterday nd 45 miles today.  My legs felt great during the ride but I almost fell down the stairs when I returned home.  Can't wait to get on the road for an hour tomorrow morning before work.  I love riding when it's 70 degrees! 

LadyDog

« Reply #1227 on: 6 Sep 2013, 02:47 pm »
Anyone interested in entering the glorious world of riding steel.  Below frame is for sale.

jackman

« Reply #1228 on: 6 Sep 2013, 03:16 pm »
Someone needs to buy that bike.  It is a true work of art and beautiful design. 

Levi

« Reply #1229 on: 6 Sep 2013, 06:14 pm »
Nice bike. What size?  Good luck on the sale

Carl V

« Reply #1230 on: 6 Sep 2013, 10:41 pm »
yes, please more info.
Once had a Nice Bob Jackson
I know ride a simple carbon GIANT DEFY. 105's.

LadyDog

« Reply #1231 on: 7 Sep 2013, 05:59 pm »
Nice 2 hour ride this morning.  Too much of the Kentucky stuff last night for anything but a lesiurely ride.

On the frame, it is a Cyfac Spirit.  Custom Columbus Spirit tubing - 57 top tube,

Levi

« Reply #1232 on: 19 Oct 2013, 03:35 am »
I just ordered a Rotor Power Meter.  Can't wait to start training with power.  ;-)

AB

« Reply #1233 on: 19 Oct 2013, 03:43 am »
What program will you use with your new power data?
Golden Cheetah or WKO+ ?
I use WKO+ but I think the newest version of Golden Cheetah is right there with WKO+ and it's free.

Levi

« Reply #1234 on: 19 Oct 2013, 03:51 am »
I am thinking about  WKO+ but so far no Mac version.   :(

Golden Cheetah it is.  Thanks for the heads up!

AB

« Reply #1235 on: 19 Oct 2013, 05:02 am »
No problem.
Golden Cheetah is your best option with a Mac and I really don't think you give anything up when comparing it to WKO+.
I think it still uses Critical Power rather than FTP so you'll need to be aware of that when discussing your training. But I think that's it.

Levi

« Reply #1236 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:27 pm »
Upgraded to. A set of Enve 3.4 wheelset, Tune Mag 170/Mig 70 hubs + sapim CX Ray spokes.  The ship in the background is SS Intrepid. :-)

LadyDog

« Reply #1237 on: 4 Mar 2014, 11:55 pm »
Hey Levi,
Hope all is well.  Pretty sure I know the answer, but how you liking the wheels?  Had an old set of 38's, pre the ./dot naming convention.

Cool pic btw. 

Levi

« Reply #1238 on: 5 Mar 2014, 12:03 am »
Thanks for the complements!

I find the Enve 3.4 to be a solid performer. It is much stiffer laterally and radially than my Zipp 303.  The 303 is more comfortable when the roads gets rough. However, the Enves seem to be a little faster.

jackman

« Reply #1239 on: 5 Mar 2014, 12:48 am »
Damn, Levi! You always have the coolest new toys! Your bike is beautiful and the wheels take it to a whole new level. That's just looks, I'm sure it performs equially well.

I can't wait to get on the road. This winter has been brutal in Chicago. Seeing your bike remembers me of what I'll be doing soon. Do you have di2? I know more guys who have switched to electronic shifting over the last year and every one says he will never go back to mechanical. I love SRAM red and the new 22 looks really cool but I expect to switch to electronic someday.  After testing it, I'm sold.

Cheers

Jack