Bicycling On-the-Road

LadyDog

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1180 on: 24 May 2013, 02:18 pm »
Great pics Levi.  You're right, the weather does not look like it was the nicest.

Levi

« Reply #1181 on: 24 May 2013, 02:35 pm »
Thanks Jeff.  Weather forecast was cloudy that day.  Not so, the rain and wind pummeled us relentlessly. Many racers DNF.

Did you pull the trigger on the bike?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1182 on: 25 May 2013, 01:20 pm »
Heard this commercial on the radio this morning...."Annual Everything Is On Sale" for Performance Bike... up to 70% off...

Here's the website .... LINK...

jackman

« Reply #1183 on: 25 May 2013, 01:45 pm »
I like the Performance Ultra bib shorts.  They usually go on sale pretty cheap and they last a long time.  I like the older ones with the green chamois. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1184 on: 25 May 2013, 01:55 pm »
I like the Performance Ultra bib shorts.  They usually go on sale pretty cheap and they last a long time.  I like the older ones with the green chamois.

I have a pair of these, but they just sit unused.

I greatly prefer the Castelli or Louis Garneau products.  Both are significantly more comfortable for me.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have saved my money....

George

jackman

« Reply #1185 on: 27 May 2013, 11:16 pm »
There are lots of opinions regarding shorts and bibs.  I have Castelli, LG, Performance brand, and a couple others.  I like them all pretty well but the Performance with the green chamois are as comfortable for me as the others.  I picked up three pairs for under $50 per pair and usually reserve the Performance for my stationary bike or for spinning.  Stationary riding seems to be harder on shorts and the performance shorts wear very well.

Pearl Izumi are probably my favorites because the pair I have fits so perfectly and has great ventilation.  What don't you like about the Performance?  I don't like some of their stuff but their Ultra bibs work well for me. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1186 on: 27 May 2013, 11:32 pm »
There are lots of opinions regarding shorts and bibs.  I have Castelli, LG, Performance brand, and a couple others.  I like them all pretty well but the Performance with the green chamois are as comfortable for me as the others.  I picked up three pairs for under $50 per pair and usually reserve the Performance for my stationary bike or for spinning.  Stationary riding seems to be harder on shorts and the performance shorts wear very well.

Pearl Izumi are probably my favorites because the pair I have fits so perfectly and has great ventilation.  What don't you like about the Performance?  I don't like some of their stuff but their Ultra bibs work well for me.

Padding isn't as comfortable as the others.  Could also be that the others just fit me better. 

For my last few rides (including today's) I wore my triathlon suit (Sugoi) and I am pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it is.  Granted, these are short rides (15-17 miles), but it gets the job done!   :thumb:

George

JoshK

« Reply #1187 on: 28 May 2013, 12:53 am »
Planning on a 50K ride on Sunday for charity...holy hell I am out of shape, this is gonna hurt.  I was only going to sign up for 25k, but a girl got me to do the 50k....I guess I can do it slow.

jackman

« Reply #1188 on: 28 May 2013, 12:23 pm »
Josh, keep us posted!  I look forward to hearing about your progress.

George - for short rides, I can't tell the difference between most bibs.  Lots of people share your opinion about Ultras and lots like them.   I've done century rides in mine without problems.  You either like a thick chamois or you don't.  Good luck with your triathlons!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1189 on: 28 May 2013, 03:12 pm »
Josh, keep us posted!  I look forward to hearing about your progress.

George - for short rides, I can't tell the difference between most bibs.  Lots of people share your opinion about Ultras and lots like them.   I've done century rides in mine without problems.  You either like a thick chamois or you don't.  Good luck with your triathlons!

Well said Jack.   :thumb:

George

Levi

« Reply #1190 on: 29 May 2013, 11:00 pm »
A girl got you to do it...   Hmmm...that always happens.  You will be in pain but MAYBE its worth it.  LOL!

Planning on a 50K ride on Sunday for charity...holy hell I am out of shape, this is gonna hurt.  I was only going to sign up for 25k, but a girl got me to do the 50k....I guess I can do it slow.

Levi

« Reply #1191 on: 1 Jun 2013, 04:03 am »
Got the new Bar Fly 2.0! 

jackman

« Reply #1192 on: 2 Jun 2013, 06:33 pm »
Hey Levi,
Is the connection different on the new Edge units because the barfly looks different.  I'm going to order one for my old 500.  It looks cool.  Thanks

Levi

« Reply #1193 on: 3 Jun 2013, 01:32 am »
You now have an option for the 500 if you want to mount it closer to the bars or farther away like the 800/510.  Likewise, it is a much cleaner installation for Di2 and EPS control module.

Here is the link for the 2.0!
http://www.tatelabs.com/bar-fly-20/

WireNut

« Reply #1194 on: 3 Jun 2013, 04:47 am »
Levi, Jackman, AC riders,

I don't want to side track this thread, but I need your opinions.

Have I screwed up? 
I just bought a new Felt Nine 60 mountain bike ($850 usd) with good intentions. I actually thought after a 30 year hiatus from biking that I could still do it again. Dam, WTF, this is frig’in hard, oh shit there’s a hill, what was I thinking  :banghead:.

I’m now converting my new MTN bike into a “local black top trail bike” with new Schwanbe Big Apple slick tires ($100.00) to ride on local black top trails until I get my ass in shape. The problem is, now I’m thinking I made a $1000.00 mistake because I should have looked more closely at Hi-brid bikes.

I did test ride 8 different bikes, Two of them being Hi-brids. To me, because I’m  5’5”/230LBS, the Mtn bikes just felt better and I liked looking down at that big fat tire and I liked the feel of the wide handle bars (again I'm a newbe). Bicycle weight at that time was not a concern, but now I understand.

Have I made a $1000.00 mistake buying a MTN bike/putting on slicks/for black top trail riding?
Would a Hi-brid bike have been a better choice even for someone my size?

I hate being GREEN  :oops: Did I screw up  :?: :slap:

My new Felt Nine 60 with Schwanbe street slick tires. The saddle is low cause I'm so frig'in short.

I love being out here all alone. It's frig'in awesome.

Levi

« Reply #1195 on: 3 Jun 2013, 11:18 am »
Nice 29er wirenut!  I don't think you made a mistake. That is actually a smart buy! We have plenty of those multi-shared paths here in NY.  Your bike versatile!
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2013, 02:17 pm by Levi »

coke

« Reply #1196 on: 3 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm »
I have a set of those tires for my Niner Rip 9, full suspension 29er.    Lots of fun on pavement, especially in the corners  :thumb:

Also, try riding with your fork locked out if you haven't yet.  With tires that large on pavement, there's really no need for suspension up front.

Levi

« Reply #1197 on: 5 Jun 2013, 01:32 pm »
Agreed!

Have a good ride!

I have a set of those tires for my Niner Rip 9, full suspension 29er.    Lots of fun on pavement, especially in the corners  :thumb:

Also, try riding with your fork locked out if you haven't yet.  With tires that large on pavement, there's really no need for suspension up front.

JoshK

« Reply #1198 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:33 am »
Did the 50k for that charity event (not fast, I was in a group of mtb'ers on their mtbs, I had a road bike).  Did another 55k this weekend my my 30lb Steel SS with a friend (no elevation to speak of).

jackman

« Reply #1199 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:01 am »
Hey guys,
Good to hear you guys are out there racking up some milesand kilomerers.   I did 30 miles on Saturday and another thirty on Sunday. Got dropped both days after fifteen but I didn't mind.  Its good to be back with the group riding the back roads.  My legs are like spaghetti after 25 miles.  Fat and out of shape but working on both.