Bicycling On-the-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1060 on: 23 Sep 2012, 02:40 am »
It is windy here in NYC as well.  I switched to Zipp 303 Firecrest and the wind gusts were negligible.  What do you guys think?  Should I keep the 404?  Hmmm...

LadyDog

« Reply #1061 on: 23 Sep 2012, 02:48 am »
Both are obviously nice wheels Levi.  Personally, of the two, I am partial to the 303's.

Levi

« Reply #1062 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:20 am »
Thanks Jeff!  I like the new three o three as well.   :thumb:

Rob S.

« Reply #1063 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:51 am »
Nice wheels!  What are the hubs that come with the 303's?

Rob S.

Levi

« Reply #1064 on: 23 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm »
Nice wheels!  What are the hubs that come with the 303's?

Rob S.

Thanks!  They are Zipp 88/188 hubs.

tvad4

Mint Enve 3.4 Clichers for sale...don't miss out!
« Reply #1065 on: 23 Sep 2012, 11:01 pm »
Auction ends soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271061166461?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

2012 Eurobike wheels of the year.

Raising some cash.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Mint Enve 3.4 Clichers for sale...don't miss out!
« Reply #1066 on: 23 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm »
Auction ends soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271061166461?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

2012 Eurobike wheels of the year.

Raising some cash.

Nice wheels and a nice bike.

Good luck with the auction.

George

Dave G

« Reply #1067 on: 24 Sep 2012, 03:20 pm »
My newest bike purchase is a Garmin Edge 500, which allows me to post the following report of my ride in yesterday's Back Roads Century in Berryville, VA. 

Dave at the Back Roads Century

This is only my second century, and while it has some hills, it was easier than my first century.  That was two weeks at the very hilly Civil War Century in Thurmont, MD, which this year featured a monster thunderstorm that hit me at about mile 80.  We had cool and clear weather yesterday, which made for a great ride through some beautiful farm country.

The Edge 500 does have some cool features, but it's a bit hard for me to read the display while I'm riding with these old eyes (I'm 61).  I've already ordered a Bar Fly to get the Edge 500 further out in front of the handlebars for easier reading, but I may eventually have to some cycling bifocals. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1068 on: 24 Sep 2012, 03:37 pm »
My newest bike purchase is a Garmin Edge 500, which allows me to post the following report of my ride in yesterday's Back Roads Century in Berryville, VA. 

Dave at the Back Roads Century

This is only my second century, and while it has some hills, it was easier than my first century.  That was two weeks at the very hilly Civil War Century in Thurmont, MD, which this year featured a monster thunderstorm that hit me at about mile 80.  We had cool and clear weather yesterday, which made for a great ride through some beautiful farm country.

The Edge 500 does have some cool features, but it's a bit hard for me to read the display while I'm riding with these old eyes (I'm 61).  I've already ordered a Bar Fly to get the Edge 500 further out in front of the handlebars for easier reading, but I may eventually have to some cycling bifocals.

Congrats on the purchase and ride Dave.

I just got my Garmin 800 last week and it is cool to capture all of this rich data.

I am trying to decide between the Bar Fly and K-Edge devices in terms of mounting.  Right now I am using the stock mount and as you said, it would be nice to have the Edge out in front.

BTW, I couldn't access the link - it said that I didn't have sufficient privileges.

George

Levi

« Reply #1069 on: 24 Sep 2012, 04:02 pm »
I currently use Bar Fly on my road bike and stem mount on my Lynskey Pro29.  Lots of options out there.

Clean look

Dave G

« Reply #1070 on: 24 Sep 2012, 05:05 pm »
BTW, I couldn't access the link - it said that I didn't have sufficient privileges.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'm still learning how to use the Garmin 500.  I assumed simply copying the URL for the activity on Garmin Conect and pasting it into my post would work, but I can see now that it doesn't.  Anyone know the right way to do this?  TIA.

EDIT:  I think the link is accessible now. 
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2012, 06:07 pm by Dave G »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1071 on: 24 Sep 2012, 06:34 pm »
Thanks for letting me know.  I'm still learning how to use the Garmin 500.  I assumed simply copying the URL for the activity on Garmin Conect and pasting it into my post would work, but I can see now that it doesn't.  Anyone know the right way to do this?  TIA.

EDIT:  I think the link is accessible now.

What did you change to make it visible?

George

Dave G

« Reply #1072 on: 24 Sep 2012, 07:21 pm »
What did you change to make it visible?

George

Clicked on the padlock icon in the first window of the activity to change it to unlocked.  Seems obvious now that I think about, but, like I said, I'm still learning how the thing works.

jackman

« Reply #1073 on: 24 Sep 2012, 07:23 pm »
Hey guys! 

I have no idea how to fix your Garmin problem.  I usually just cut and paste my link and it works fine.  Sorry!

Have any of you tried Strava?  Lots of guys in my group are using it and they are addicted.  It allows you to race other guys on the same segment of road and see how you rank.  My friends are constantly fighting for king of the hill of some of the moderate hills we have around here.  I haven't tried it yet but look forward to sharing my times and lack of speed with the group!

Finally tested the Domane 4.9 today (it was the only model they had at my LBS).  All I can say is WOW!  It was, by far, the best riding, most plush bike I have ever tested.  I've tried the Cannondale Synapse, Specialized SWorks Roubaix, Giant Defy, and several others including my Trek Pilot CF.  All of these bikes ride very well but the Domane puts them all to shame on rough roads, without any real weight penalty or lack of stiffness and acceleration.  I bet we'll be seeing similar frame technology on other brands in the near future. 

The Domane employs other shock dampening "tricks" in addition to the flexible seat tube, it has a front fork that is designed to reduce shock and bars with a slot filled with dampening material.  I could easily ride this bike for a century or longer in total comfort.  It's like a magic carpet crossed with a rocket.   This was only a 4 series, the 5 incorporates a seat-mast, lighter carbon and custom color options.  The matte/gloss black looks really nice (it was on a Madone but available for 5 series).  Not sure about the red-white two tone the 4.9 comes with.  Reminds me too much of my current bike. 

They had a new Madone frame but it was not built up.  Plus, I like the idea of being able to ride on REAL roads with a road bike without getting beat up.  The Domane seems to do all of the things race bikes do, without beating you up.  I'm sold on the idea but need to check my funds. 

Also, I'm not a fan of Ultegra.  The brakes are great and the front shifter is better than my Sram but I'm not a fan of the rear shifting.  They had Di2 Ultegra on a Madone but the Domane had regular.  Ultegra looks cool but I'd take Force or even Rival any day over Ultegra (non-Di2).   The bike shop guy said the next generation of Dura Ace Di2 will have a battery that fits in the seat mast, completely hidden from the elements.  It's not in my price-range so I'm not even going to try it (afraid I might like it and do something stupid). 

Cheers,

Jack

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1074 on: 24 Sep 2012, 08:27 pm »
Jack,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Domane.  It's nice that even though we rode different models and in different locations, that our observations were very, very similar.

I am looking at various Domane options right now (stock 5.9 with Ultegra Di2 or 6 series as a Project One bike). 

If tvad will provide some funding, I may even go with the new Dura Ace Di2.   :wink:

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1075 on: 24 Sep 2012, 08:35 pm »
BTW, here is the ride I took when auditioning the Domane 5.9 this past Saturday:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/2166793#.UGDDuPds97s.email

George

LadyDog

« Reply #1076 on: 15 Oct 2012, 01:26 am »
Another tough day.  40-45mph wind today.  Know snow is just around the corner so figured I better get out.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1077 on: 15 Oct 2012, 01:41 am »
Another tough day.  40-45mph wind today.  Know snow is just around the corner so figured I better get out.

Glad that the winds weren't like that in the Boston area today.  In fact, the weather was unseasonably warm and great to ride in.   :thumb:

Tested my "final" bike on the bike audition trail (Giant Defy Advanced SL 1 with Ultegra Di2) with a nice paced 25 mile ride on a hilly course.  Great bike and one of my two finalists (Trek Domane is the other).

It was nice to ride outside and not on my trainer.

George

LadyDog

« Reply #1078 on: 15 Oct 2012, 01:48 am »
Warm for us too George.  The wind was just a killer though. 

Glad to hear of the progress.  Decisions, decisions.  ;)

AB

« Reply #1079 on: 15 Oct 2012, 02:43 am »
Yea, it's that time of year. Tick tock, tick tock.