Bicycling On-the-Road

jackman

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #1020 on: 6 Aug 2012, 03:56 am »
Very nice bikes in this thread!  I'm jealous because all of you have nicer bikes than me!  I hope you ride them fast!

Levi

« Reply #1021 on: 17 Aug 2012, 10:13 pm »
Vacationing in Georgia.

My new 2012 R5 VWD @13 lbs. without even trying.  :)

Cervelo claimed the VWD frame as one of the lightest frames in the world.  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #1022 on: 17 Aug 2012, 10:40 pm »
Levi!  Hardly trying??? Zipps, Rotor Cranks, Dura Ace, carbon everything...not trying!  That bike is a weight weenie's wet-dream! Very nice work.   It's the best Cervelo ive ever seen, except maybe in an advertisement or magazine.  Very stealthy and mean looking. 

Are you riding the heck out of it?  Send some Garmin data to the rest of us who can only watch and admire!  Nice bike!!!

Levi

« Reply #1023 on: 18 Aug 2012, 12:48 am »
Thanks! 

Here is my recent Garmin data.  This is supposed to be a C+ ride but I think this is more like a B ride before I realized we were all alone.  Ha ha ha..

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2012, 11:13 pm by Levi »

JoshK

« Reply #1024 on: 18 Aug 2012, 01:58 am »
There are a *ton* of Cervelos up here.  Bike shops says that is what they sell the most of more than anything else.   I thought it was an Italian company but they started in Toronto.

Levi

« Reply #1025 on: 18 Aug 2012, 02:12 am »
That's good to know.  Are the prices cheaper in Canada compared to US?

JoshK

« Reply #1026 on: 18 Aug 2012, 02:23 am »
No... I haven't comparison shopped that particular bike (I am not much of a roadie as you can probably tell).  I'd say prices are similar but taxes are much higher 13.5% HST.

JoshK

« Reply #1027 on: 18 Aug 2012, 02:23 am »
I paid about a grand in taxes on my last bike.  ouch.

jackman

« Reply #1028 on: 25 Aug 2012, 01:01 pm »
Josh, a grand in taxes?  You aren't messing around! 

I'm back on my road bike!  Been indoor training every day for a week, doing CTS training DVDs including training for power, hill climbing and intervals.  Went for a short 22 mile ride with my neighbor on Wednesday and similar ride yesterday.  The rides felt great and I'm getting ready to go out for a 40 mile ride today.

Battery died on my Powertap so No wattage info from the rides but I kept up with my fast neighbor, he was holding back, for most of the ride and maintained 20 mph until the last couple miles. No way I can maintain the pace for 40 miles at this point.  My legs were overcooked spaghetti after 19 miles.

The CTS DVDs are very useful if you want to train during winter or if you are pressed for time. You can get a great workout in about an hour. I also like spinervals DVDs. 

LadyDog

« Reply #1029 on: 25 Aug 2012, 03:31 pm »
We'll decided an old school steel frame needed old school alloy parts.  So swapped out the carbon bits for some alloy Centaur that I had been hanging on to.  It gets harder and harder to find.

Got tired of trying to find a silver post, and was anxious to get back on the road again, so black will have to do for now.  I've been on my single speed/fixie the last month or so, so it was nice to get on a road bike.

No Garmin or Powertap stuff.  I do not need anything to tell me I am out of shape and slow.

So far pretty impressed with the Nucelon wheels and Speed Limit brakes.  Anyway, pic time.

jackman

« Reply #1030 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:07 pm »
Beautiful bike!  I like the mix of black and chrome  components.

LadyDog

« Reply #1031 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:23 pm »
Thanks Jack.  Got about 25 miles in this morning.  Just need to keep being consistent with getting on the bike.  As you know, with work, family, etc., it is not always easy.

Stay safe out there.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1032 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:29 pm »
Josh, a grand in taxes?  You aren't messing around! 

I'm back on my road bike!  Been indoor training every day for a week, doing CTS training DVDs including training for power, hill climbing and intervals.  Went for a short 22 mile ride with my neighbor on Wednesday and similar ride yesterday.  The rides felt great and I'm getting ready to go out for a 40 mile ride today.

Battery died on my Powertap so No wattage info from the rides but I kept up with my fast neighbor, he was holding back, for most of the ride and maintained 20 mph until the last couple miles. No way I can maintain the pace for 40 miles at this point.  My legs were overcooked spaghetti after 19 miles.

The CTS DVDs are very useful if you want to train during winter or if you are pressed for time. You can get a great workout in about an hour. I also like spinervals DVDs.

Forget pace...I haven't hit a 40 mile ride yet!  My long ride has only been 36 miles.  Most of my rides are between 10-25 miles.

I'll check out those CTS DVD's - thanks for the recommendation Jack.  I'll save them for the long New England winter.

George

Bemopti123

« Reply #1033 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:46 pm »
Levi!  Hardly trying??? Zipps, Rotor Cranks, Dura Ace, carbon everything...not trying!  That bike is a weight weenie's wet-dream! Very nice work.   It's the best Cervelo ive ever seen, except maybe in an advertisement or magazine.  Very stealthy and mean looking. 

Are you riding the heck out of it?  Send some Garmin data to the rest of us who can only watch and admire!  Nice bike!!!

13 lbs? Wow... only lighter riders can get away with this sort of thing.  I think even myself might be too heavy for such bike....hehehehe, not to say I am necessarily heavy at 148 lbs.  hehehehe. 

I agree with Jackman, Levi's ride is a total tour de force in terms of carbon almost everything. 

His ride make my bicycles look like doo-dats.

Paul  :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #1034 on: 25 Aug 2012, 04:49 pm »
We'll decided an old school steel frame needed old school alloy parts.  So swapped out the carbon bits for some alloy Centaur that I had been hanging on to.  It gets harder and harder to find.

Got tired of trying to find a silver post, and was anxious to get back on the road again, so black will have to do for now.  I've been on my single speed/fixie the last month or so, so it was nice to get on a road bike.

No Garmin or Powertap stuff.  I do not need anything to tell me I am out of shape and slow.

So far pretty impressed with the Nucelon wheels and Speed Limit brakes.  Anyway, pic time.

What sort of steel frame is that?

My stripping, derusting and repainting an old Ciocc frame has been slow at best.  Still trying to dremel out what little pieces of the aluminium steer part corked in the chromed Ciocc fork....  You have to see me attempting to unbinding it from the steel tube...with a blowtorch and some welding gloves.  Bad, bad electrolytic bonding in that thing. 

LadyDog

« Reply #1035 on: 25 Aug 2012, 05:02 pm »
It is custom drawn Columbus Spirit tubing.  Fillet brazed. 

Looking forward to your completed Ciocc.  Love all those old steel frame; Ciocc, Olmo, Casati, etc.

tybee

« Reply #1036 on: 25 Aug 2012, 07:55 pm »
It's good to see some road biking activity.  Jackman, it is good to hear you are back on the road.

Ladydog, your bike looks great.  I like how the seat stays blend into the seatpost tube.  It reminds me of my Scott Paisley Columbus tubed frame where Paisley excelled at blending the seat stays to the top tube.

I have been riding longer rides this summer leading up to the HOT 100 century this past weekend.  It is one of the hilliest centuries that i have completed. I didn't fully recover until this past Thursday.   Most of our satuday club rides exceed 60 miles with lots of hills and extended climbs. Next weekend, I will participate in the Sunrise Century in Clarksville, TN, a 100 mile flat course for this part of the country.  Several pro teams ride this course for time with the current record of 3:44:55.  I have heard there will be three pro teams riding this year attempting to break this record. I will be riding with several members of our club, and we will be happy with a 5 hour century. 

Bemopti123

« Reply #1037 on: 25 Aug 2012, 09:13 pm »
It is custom drawn Columbus Spirit tubing.  Fillet brazed. 

Looking forward to your completed Ciocc.  Love all those old steel frame; Ciocc, Olmo, Casati, etc.

I agree....there was a mystique to these vintage frames that I could not hold on and decided to pull the trigger in a semi rusty frame.  This is in addition to all my other bicycles...an 1996 Bianchi Eros, A Specialized Apex Compact 2011 along with a Santa Cruz Stigmata cyclocross ride.  Got as many bicycles as I need an extra hole in my cranium.  hehehehe.

Levi

« Reply #1038 on: 25 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm »
Sometimes it is all about the bike.  :)

I agree....there was a mystique to these vintage frames that I could not hold on and decided to pull the trigger in a semi rusty frame.  This is in addition to all my other bicycles...an 1996 Bianchi Eros, A Specialized Apex Compact 2011 along with a Santa Cruz Stigmata cyclocross ride.  Got as many bicycles as I need an extra hole in my cranium.  hehehehe.

jackman

« Reply #1039 on: 25 Aug 2012, 11:00 pm »
Makes sense, we are all audio geeks so we have a tendency to be gear oriented!   For the record, even though I lust after so many bikes, vintage, modern, mtb, xcross, single speed, etc., I still have my original and only road bike, a Trek Pilot 5.0.

I've literally tested more bikes than I can recall (dozens), from all of the major brands and every frame material, from Titanium, aluminum, carbon fiber, and steel (no vintage steel yet) and I love my admittedly in-sexy Trek. It rides so plush, it's like a Cadillac.  Long wheelbase, slack geometry and really nice Wisconsin made carbon fiber.  I've seen these sold for very low prices. Anyone looking for a comfy long distance bike with relaxed geo and room for fenders might want to look for a used carbon fiber Pilot from '08 or so.  They aren't made anymore so Used is the only option.