• http://www.bryston.com
14B SST SQ Review from Greece
« on: 21 Oct 2009, 02:44 pm »
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:07 AM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Adamco - 14BSST? - Sound and Vision Magazine Oct '09

Dear James,

Please find the attached files with Bryston 14BSST-2 review in Greek magazine:
 "Ήχος και Εικονα" (Sound and Vision) magazine.

This is a five star review! *****

Title
Surgical Instrument:
This Canadian manufacturer which has over the years linked their name to reliability comes back with a new generation of amplifiers, to remind us that, no matter how much power we have, it will never be enough.

Inexhaustible!
For the test of this heavyweight amplifier of Bryston, we mobilized the most demanding speaker in our reference system, the SCM70SL by ATC. A very interesting challenge for any amp that claims to be able to 'rock' whatever comes its way. The pre-amp for half of the auditioning time was the ΥΒΑ Passion Pre and for the other half, the new Primo by Musical Fidelity.

As said in the beginning, the biggest success for Bryston is that it has managed to steadily maintain a high standard of performance in all their products and throughout their long history. This practically means that everything bearing the Bryston logo has anything but the element of surprise, instead it has the beneficial reassurance that your money was worth the investment and more. So what is the reason for this reviewer to review this incumbent? Will he re-discover the truth? Obviously not! Consequently, there is nothing else left to do, other than connecting the 14BSST-2 to the magazines reference system, pull out some of my favorite recordings from various kinds of music and immerse myself on my couch, having one and only one goal; enjoyment instead of criticism. Living with the 14BSST? turned into a very memorable experience.

14B SST-2

Whatever went into the tray of the SCD-XA9000ES by Sony was reproduced with millimeter accuracy from the Bryston14BSST-2 amplifier in every aspect on this ultra-demanding system, which we assembled. Speaking about how well the 14B controlled the big ATC is simply redundant, since the Canadian amplifier literally grabbed them and never let them gasp for air. Especially in the 'micro dynamics' field, we heard incredible details, while in the field of 'timing' there wasn't the slightest suspicion that what was coming from the speakers was not part of the recording. If you were looking for a 'tonal character' in a Bryston amplifier, you'd be most likely disappointed because the word 'invisible' seems to have been created in order to describe them. Between you and me, is this the mission of a serious amplifier or not? Meaning not to add nor subtract and drive with all of its power and above all consistently our reference speakers! What's more, the transparent character of such an amplifier will create a clear starting point for the selection of the rest of your system.

Understand, a Bryston amplifier is a secure choice, one of the very few I can think of at the moment. The 14BSST SQ is no exception; derived from the great line of the Canadian maker it is offered as an inexhaustible power amplifier for cases where it is essential. You will certainly spend many years with it, probably more than the twenty of its warranty, and this is something that is ensured not only by its neutral character but also by its leading construction.

In one word, exceptional?

« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2009, 05:23 pm by James Tanner »