Plugging into the wrong jacks -- oops

Tholt

Plugging into the wrong jacks -- oops
« on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:26 am »
The other night I unknowingly plugged a component into the OUT rca's of my ref4 :duh:. This of course was aided by the lack of labeling. The crazy thing is -- everything sounded 'fine'. Nothing that I heard suggested I did something wrong. Only after I looked at the back of my Ref 4 did I discover my error, so i quickly unplugged the component.

I'm wondering if plugging into the out RCA's could have damaged the unit in any way. Any thoughts? The good news is nothing sounds obviously wrong, but I think I may hear a difference in certain things -- less shimmer and punch -- but I'm hoping it's just my mind playing tricks on me now that I know what I did. I'm not electrically knowledgeable, so I'm hoping the group here can give me a definitive answer (and preferably tell me that nothing could have happened and that everything is fine.) :)

thanks
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2009, 01:46 am by Tholt »

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
Re: Plugging into the wrong jacks -- oops
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2009, 03:15 pm »
As far as i know from experience with purposely damaging the tvc.
There would not be damage per say.
However what you could have done is that you have reverse the signal direction of the wires and transformers
Like when you used the interconnect that has been burn in and your use it the opposite direction. THe sound would be worst because you have shifted the aligment/ direction to be in the wrong direction
You would tend reverse the direction and the IC and the transformer would need to re-run in. However this is a minor re-run in. Just to realign back the direction since you did not use it in the wrong direction for a long time

No worries. Hope this helps .

thanks
Nicholas

Tholt

Re: Plugging into the wrong jacks -- oops
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2009, 03:58 pm »
Thank you Nicholas. So I assume when you say "run in" you mean I should just play it normally to correct any direction/phase issues?
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2009, 10:40 pm by Tholt »