What's going on in NC land

jakelieb

What's going on in NC land
« on: 15 Aug 2009, 05:46 pm »
Alright - What's happening out there.

My latest news: finally got my stereo room back when son moved out again, and have been overdosing on music. aa

Jake

richidoo

Re: What's going on in NC land
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2009, 05:54 pm »
Awesome Jake! Congrats on the new digs. Got some pictures?

I was wondering the same thing, wassup with the NC homeboys? It's a warm wet summer, so if you're anything like me, a lot of lawn work.  :roll:

I got some new amps, Manley Neo Classic 300B. They are very sweet, so I've been listening a lot more than usual too. I got the wonderful new Phono 1 preamp from Vista Audio, so I'm enjoying the vinyl again after many years away.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2009, 06:16 pm »
got some new amps (Clayton M-300), Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC, Mac Mini / Amarra. 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2009, 06:19 pm »

Trying to enjoy the summer while it lasts! Working, travelling a little, a little gardening and landscaping, photography, and still finding time to listen to music when indoors! Not a lot of changes to the system this summer or new music purchases.

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2009, 11:40 pm »
I just picked up a squeezebox so that is pretty awesome.  Listening to tunes without getting up from my chair is the way to go.

16hz lover

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2009, 09:53 pm »
Been putting together a high effeciency system.  Starting with a 1939 RCA Shearer bass bin

Loaded now with  some JBL 2226 drivers instead of the RCA field coil woofers.

It is 105db eff.   Crossing it over at 300hz to some open baffle mid/high cabinets using 2- Audax PR170MO mids and a Ciare ( Italian ) 105db tweeter.

rahimlee54

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2009, 10:17 pm »
Been putting together a high effeciency system.  Starting with a 1939 RCA Shearer bass bin

Loaded now with  some JBL 2226 drivers instead of the RCA field coil woofers.

It is 105db eff.   Crossing it over at 300hz to some open baffle mid/high cabinets using 2- Audax PR170MO mids and a Ciare ( Italian ) 105db tweeter.

Looks good man, how does it sound?

16hz lover

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2009, 10:29 pm »
Haven't wired the mid/high cabinets up yet...just got the drivers installed last night.   Still haven't listened to the bass bin either...so far we have only run a frequency sweep on it to see what the response was like.

jakelieb

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2009, 01:17 am »
WOW! Those are really cool.  Keep us informed on your progress.

Jake

16hz lover

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:12 am »
Got the grill frames made and covered

I put felt on the tops and bottoms.
before picture...

Finished garage speakers.

Now I've got to get the right inductors and wire up the Solen caps for the tweeters.  Sometimes it seems as if I'll never finish building speakers...which I guess is a good thing. :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2009, 03:37 am »
Looks awesome!   btw do you race gokarts? Please PM me with details....

Today I fired up my new Buffalo32 DAC from TwistedPearAudio.com. It's really incredible.

Cheerwino

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2009, 01:14 am »
Mini-Hornfest Gathering near Columbia, SC, Sept. 19th  :drums:

Single-driver speaker and tube fans in the Carolinas (and elsewhere) might want to drop by Mini-Hornfest outside Columbia, SC on Sept. 19th. We'll be treated to the return of Jim Dowdy's (aka "The Dowdy Llama") $30,000 GM-70 tube amp playing through Ed Schilling's Model 1 and Model 3 Horn speakers [3s now sold].  :o

You can find more info here:
http://www.audiophiletalk.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1251397303

This is just an informal gathering, so just drop by any time Sept. 19th. 460 Laura Brodie Rd., Leesville, SC 29070, 803-657-5178  :rock:
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2009, 02:31 am by Cheerwino »

richidoo

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:31 pm »
Thanks for the invite!

Cheerwino

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:09 pm »

Today I fired up my new Buffalo32 DAC from TwistedPearAudio.com. It's really incredible.

No problem. Just wanted folks to know about it in case they'd like to drive in to listen to an amp that costs more than our cars.

It would be cool if you can come to the gathering and bring the Buffalo Pear! I have heard the less advanced ESS Sabre chip in the Nova and it sounded awesome.  :thumb: